Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Adding old iTunes library to new machine via external HD.

Adding old iTunes library to new machine via external HD.
ChadC
Forum Regular
Oct 13, 2005, 12:00 AM

I had my entire iTunes library on an internal HD on my old PowerMac. The internal HD it was one was not the original boot drive of the Mac, it was an extra drive that I installed later and moved the entire iTunes library on to. So now I sold that computer and bought a new Powerbook. WHen I sold it I took out the extra HD i had and bought an external enclosure. So now my entire iTunes library is on an external HD connected to my new Powerbook via firewire. So how do I get all 23 gigs of music recognized by iTunes 6 on my new comp? I tried clicking the iTunes 4 Playlist but it doesn't work. Any ideas?

Thanks,
13" Aluminum Macbook
16gig iPhone 4

irockdabari
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2006, 07:33 PM

ChadC,

I was in a similar situation to get all my music off my computer an onto an external drive. What I did is I first set my music folder to be the folder on my external HD that already has all of my music. Then what I did is go up to the "File" menu while in iTunes, and select "Add To Library". Then select the folder on your external drive, which will then create a new iTunes library based on what is in that folder.

What I don't know is how to export playlists.

Hope that helps
iMac G4 800Mhz 256 MB, 12" iBook G4 1.0 Ghz 768 MB, 12" PowerBook G4, 1.5 Ghz, 1.25 GB RAM

Forum Links
Forum Rules