Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > My iPod was DEAD but now it's alive and kicking -- What the ???

My iPod was DEAD but now it's alive and kicking -- What the ???
bobnweho
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2006, 11:06 AM

The other morning, I was at the gym listening to my 4th generation iPod (which I have owned for about 14 months -- post warranty) when I heard a CLICK and then my iPod FROZE. I got to my office and and saw the "sad ipod" icon on the screen. I went to the Apple iPod support site and followed the "5 Rs". Nothing happened.

So I took the iPod to the Apple Store where one of the "geniuses" took a look at it. He tried resetting it and putting it into disk mode. Nothing happened. He told me the battery needed to be replaced and gave me a list of dealers although he recommended iPodResq.

I went to their website yesterday morning (my iPod was still dead to the world) and ordered the battery replacement service ($89.00). Today I received the overnight shipping box in which to send my iPod for repair.

So, I reach for my iPod. Well, I pull it out of the bag and the thing is ALIVE AND KICKING. Works fine -- like there was nothing ever wrong with it. All my music was still there along with some audio books. What the???

Now I've got the shipping box (along with $89.00 that I've already paid). I can get a refund from the company but part of me is thinking "What if this is a fluke and the thing goes dead again tomorrow?"

Has this ever happened to anyone before?

KateFab
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2006, 11:38 AM

I have a 4th gen. iPod that crapped out on me once before.. it had hard drive problems that were intermittent, but I still went ahead and had it replaced, as I was under warranty. I'm glad I did, because I haven't had any problems since.

Maybe you should just have the battery replaced anyway, instead of always having to worry about whether or not iPod will freeze up on you again.

ChadC
Forum Regular
Aug 23, 2006, 12:38 PM

Have it replaced then throw it up on eBay and get what ya can for it. Make sure you say what happened and you'll most likely still get a decent amount for it.

Just my opinion.
13" Aluminum Macbook
16gig iPhone 4

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 23, 2006, 02:49 PM

I concur with Kate-it can't hurt to put a new battery in it. But I am almost certain that the hard drive is going out. My son's 20GB 4G did the same thing and finally quit JUST DAYS before the original warranty expired. We got it replaced by the local Apple Store and I bought AppleCare for it RIGHT THEN. It was the hard drive failing that caused the lockups-it would even lock up in the middle of a song, just dead as dead except for the screen still being on with full backlight.

So if you're sending it off for some work to be done anyway, see about having it serviced by a place that can do both the battery and HD replacement...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules