Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > 2-pin and 3-pin plugs

2-pin and 3-pin plugs
blackstar
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 1, 2010, 03:42 PM

Alright not sure what my point is here, but I am a little frustrated due to trouble connecting different 2-pin and 3-pin plugs in my apartment right now.

Why is it that the UK is using one standard (3-pin), Europe uses another standard (2-pin), but the US is using a mix (2-pin and 3-pin) and creates additional difficulties when wiring electrical appliances.

I noticed that 3-pin plugs are more prevalent on devices that use more energy (air conditioner) and most wall plugs tend to be 3-pin. My new apartment has some plugs that are 2-pin and it creates difficulties as I have to use a bunch of 3-pin to 2-pin bridges.

Any thoughts on why this mix exists? I read somewhere that 2-pin plugs were initially used and 3-pin was introduced later to make safer installations. The 3-pin was used to blow a fuse in case of a short circuit. The way todays stuff is wired is there still a need for the third pin?

andi*pandi
Jul 1, 2010, 04:02 PM

I thought the 3rd pin was ground, but what do I know. I know Home Depot sells adapters to turn 3 pins back into 2 pins. Yay!

(Yes, it is dangerous to subvert the safety features... yes yes. )

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 1, 2010, 04:07 PM

That's a very big question.
Wiki has a very big answer:
AC power plugs and sockets - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2010, 04:38 PM

So if you don't have the grounding pin, does that mean you're more likely to get an electrical shock when something "bad" happens?

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2010, 04:59 PM

The ground doesn't have to be a pin. In some countries it's a contact on the side of the plug. Yes, if the plug doesn't have grounding, you are more likely to get shocked in case something goes wrong.

Your apartment has 2-pin plugs or 2-pin outlets? It shouldn't be a problem to use a 2-pin plug in a 3-pin outlet. All outlet should support grounding though. I would never use a plug with grounding in an outlet that has no grounding. This assumes that grounding is on the plug for a reason.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 1, 2010, 05:32 PM

All central European sockets are (required by law to be) recessed three-pin, with the ground connecting at the side of the plug if you're using a grounded plug.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 1, 2010, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
All central European German sockets are (required by law to be) recessed three-pin, with the ground connecting at the side of the plug if you're using a grounded plug.
Fixed.

Yer French type E ain't grounded on the side of the plug, no?
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

blackstar  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 1, 2010, 06:53 PM

Half of my outlets are 2-pin, and half of my outlets are 3-pin. The outlet by the air conditioner is 2-pin. So, would it be dangerous to plug the air conditioner in the 2-pin outlet using a 2-pin to 3-pin converter?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 1, 2010, 06:56 PM

Yes, if you can’t ground it. (That’s why the adapter has the little wire, but even it only works if the screw you connect it to is actually grounded.)

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2010, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by blackstar View Post
Half of my outlets are 2-pin, and half of my outlets are 3-pin. The outlet by the air conditioner is 2-pin. So, would it be dangerous to plug the air conditioner in the 2-pin outlet using a 2-pin to 3-pin converter?
If the plug of the device requires grounding, assume this is for a reason. A thousand times this is a non-issue, but once in a million, this can be a life-threatening experience. Especially if the device has a metal casing. In case of doubt ask an electrician.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2010, 03:02 AM

You may be able to replace your two prong outlets with GFCI outlets, check the codes in your area. The only other alternative would be rewiring. The third pin is generally ground. If you have a device that is not double insulated, generally with a metal case, and there is an electrical problem with it, and it is not grounded, and you touch it. You are the ground!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 2, 2010, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Fixed.

Yer French type E ain't grounded on the side of the plug, no?
True.

The regular side-contact-grounded Type F is only "used in Austria, Bulgaria, Chile, Croatia, Estonia, Finland, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Latvia, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Pakistan, Portugal, Romania, Russia[16], Serbia, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden and Turkey." (quoth wikipedia)

Forum Links
Forum Rules