Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I Want this on my Mac

I Want this on my Mac
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2002, 10:38 PM

There are very few games that i'd consider worth buying. I remember in 95 when we upgraded our PC from a 16Mhz x86 to a Pentium 120. I baught Rebel Assault and loved it (still do) Rebel Assault II was another AWESOME game. (even though i hadnt watched the movies back then, and eventhough i dont like the movies now).

Then there was Full Throttle. that game should be on a mantle in a technology meuseum somewhere. Visually it was Stunning for it's time, as far as sound, it was the best, game play was so immersive, it was scarry. It is the closest ive come to experiencing the greatest game.

At E3, LucasArts (my favorite game company) Announced Full Throttle II, and ive only seen a handfull of screenshots of it.... and WOW !!!! I WANT THIS ON MY MAC WHEN IT IS RELEASED !!!

starman
Clinically Insane
Aug 16, 2002, 11:18 PM

Lucasarts games on a Mac?

You'd have a better chance of betting on the Red Sox to win the World Series.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

(s)macintosh
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2002, 11:35 PM

Originally posted by starman:
Lucasarts games on a Mac?

You'd have a better chance of betting on the Red Sox to win the World Series.

Mike
Pfft, I'd go as far as saying "You'd have a better chance of seeing the Red Sox winning a pennant.

phazertwo
Forum Regular
Aug 16, 2002, 11:37 PM

i don't like computer games as much any more. PD and i and some other friends have had some star craft compititions thigns latly but thats about it. with all the new badass first person shooters there are out there for game consols why play computer. example, anyone play HALO? that is the best first person shoter i have played in my entire life!! and you can hook x-boxes togather for up to 16 players! of course i am sure that not to many people here are fans of MS so you won't buy an x-box
PZ
"'don't touch me 'what will you do?' 'i will touch you back'"-bruce lee

JC Denton
Forum Regular
Aug 17, 2002, 12:43 AM

Well, one way to let Lucasarts know that there is an Mac-using audience for their games is to vote with your wallet. Maybe think about buying Jedi Knight II (I've got my copy pre-ordered) or even Galactic Battlegrounds.

You know, those Lucasarts games that are available on the Mac.

Immortal K-Mart Employee
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2002, 01:18 AM

Ya, that game was wicked bad.

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}
Religions are like farts: yours is good, the others always stink.

Currawong
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2002, 02:40 AM

Have you tried Medal of Honor, Allied Assault yet? Awesome Q3-engined game.

eep!
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2002, 09:04 AM

Originally posted by Immortal K-Mart Employee:
Ya, that game was wicked bad.
Nice continuation of the retro themes.

I liked adventure games back when they were 2d. Zak McKracken anyone?

phazertwo
Forum Regular
Aug 17, 2002, 11:10 AM

Originally posted by Currawong:
Have you tried Medal of Honor, Allied Assault yet? Awesome Q3-engined game.
Hells yeah, that is the second best first person shooter next to HALO i like the world war 2 theame, better than all the future based stuff. but i do think some missons were imposible to beat with out god mode. Anyway, another reason that HALO owns all, copertive (sp?) play. thats always fun as hell, and the set up the ending so that you know there is gunna be another one, or at least there had better be. Ending: cortana "i'm glad thats over" Master cheif "i have a feeling its just the begining"

but i hope number 2 is as good as number one!!
PZ

L'enfanTerrible
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2002, 12:33 PM

Anyone remember Day of The Tentacle, from Lucas Arts?

In this game you start at a scientists mansion and he accidentally releases a tentacle spawn, and you have to go 200 years into the past and future to beat them.. Wicked game.

The hayday of adventure computer games IMO was Full Throttle/DotT/SpaceQuest..

thats just me tho

phazertwo
Forum Regular
Aug 17, 2002, 01:57 PM

Originally posted by L'enfanTerrible:
Anyone remember Day of The Tentacle, from Lucas Arts?

In this game you start at a scientists mansion and he accidentally releases a tentacle spawn, and you have to go 200 years into the past and future to beat them.. Wicked game.

The hayday of adventure computer games IMO was Full Throttle/DotT/SpaceQuest..

thats just me tho
That to me seems like a kids game, trying to make it exciting with all the time travling stuff. pfff boring! serously play HALO or medle of honer allied assult, there is nothing more intense than the D-Day mission, it seems really realistic (tho i don't know much about D-day becides that it was a horribl battle) but in the game, people getting blown away, and most of the time you get blown away too, but after a while you figure out how it works and can duck behind **** when the michine gunner trying to get you. Anyway, HALO is so much better than all games for 2 reasons, the story line, and copertive play! that and plasma grenades that stick to things!!! when we get bored we play foot ball, make teems, line men melee each other till they get top the QB, and the QB trys to through a plasma grenade to the reciver. you don't get to run much because after a few secs, the grenade blows, but its still fun as all hell! anyway, i am bored and have tons of time on my hands (still sick) and i am sure that you arn't really gunna read all the post (it kinda wanders) but hey it was somthing to do
PZ

P.S. if adventure games tickle you fancy, than you should try bauldars gate, bauldars gate II, and marrow wind. Some would say ever quest, but thats not very "Adventures"

(Edit: added the P.S.)

L'enfanTerrible
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2002, 02:10 PM

Originally posted by phazertwo:

That to me seems like a kids game, trying to make it exciting with all the time travling stuff. pfff boring! serously play HALO or medle of honer allied assult, there is nothing more intense than the D-Day mission, it seems really realistic (tho i don't know much about D-day becides that it was a horribl battle) but in the game, people getting blown away, and most of the time you get blown away too, but after a while you figure out how it works and can duck behind **** when the michine gunner trying to get you. Anyway, HALO is so much better than all games for 2 reasons, the story line, and copertive play! that and plasma grenades that stick to things!!! when we get bored we play foot ball, make teems, line men melee each other till they get top the QB, and the QB trys to through a plasma grenade to the reciver. you don't get to run much because after a few secs, the grenade blows, but its still fun as all hell! anyway, i am bored and have tons of time on my hands (still sick) and i am sure that you arn't really gunna read all the post (it kinda wanders) but hey it was somthing to do
PZ

P.S. if adventure games tickle you fancy, than you should try bauldars gate, bauldars gate II, and marrow wind. Some would say ever quest, but thats not very "Adventures"

(Edit: added the P.S.)
It is a kids game, and I was a kid when I played it.

I am not as big into games as much as I used to be. I love the FF series, and lots of RPG's and RTS's.. and of course, Metal Gear SOLID

FPS's don't do anything for me, but I can understand why people like them.

astronomix
Aug 17, 2002, 02:45 PM

LucasArts adventure games RULE !!!

I remember playing Monkey Island I & II more than 10 years ago. Never laughed so much because of a computer game. The lines were so good I still remember many of them. "Gee Stan, that sounds useful !"

flatcatch
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 17, 2002, 02:53 PM

Originally posted by Hawkeye_a:
There are very few games that i'd consider worth buying. I remember in 95 when we upgraded our PC from a 16Mhz x86 to a Pentium 120. I baught Rebel Assault and loved it (still do) Rebel Assault II was another AWESOME game. (even though i hadnt watched the movies back then, and eventhough i dont like the movies now).

Then there was Full Throttle. that game should be on a mantle in a technology meuseum somewhere. Visually it was Stunning for it's time, as far as sound, it was the best, game play was so immersive, it was scarry. It is the closest ive come to experiencing the greatest game.

At E3, LucasArts (my favorite game company) Announced Full Throttle II, and ive only seen a handfull of screenshots of it.... and WOW !!!! I WANT THIS ON MY MAC WHEN IT IS RELEASED !!!
Holy Crap! I had to block FIVE cookies from that single page - that's some hard core advertising.

Anyhow, instead of waiting for a Mac port have some fun and build a PC just for gaming (AMD of course )... put an OS X skin on XP and lie to yourself that it's strictly a gaming box.

Keep the rubber side down!

Justin W. Williams
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2002, 03:17 PM

Originally posted by flatcatch:
Anyhow, instead of waiting for a Mac port have some fun and build a PC just for gaming (AMD of course )... put an OS X skin on XP and lie to yourself that it's strictly a gaming box.
I could never justify just building a system for gaming. I tried to in my head, but the cost wasnt worth it. You can't just slap shitty parts into it and expect to be competitive.

I quit while I was ahead, got a ps2 and have lived happily ever after just playing EA Sports games and GTA3.
Justin Williams
Chicks Really Dig Me
AIM - iTikki [NEW AND IMPROVED!]
http://www.tikkirulz.com

flatcatch
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 17, 2002, 03:39 PM

Originally posted by Justin W. Williams:

I could never justify just building a system for gaming. I tried to in my head, but the cost wasnt worth it. You can't just slap shitty parts into it and expect to be competitive.

I quit while I was ahead, got a ps2 and have lived happily ever after just playing EA Sports games and GTA3.
Yup - you're right. You could buy all three major consoles for the price of building a high-end PC gaming machine. But you don't have to worry about shitty parts out there... not when you can get an AMD Athlon XP 2200 for $146, a nicely equipped mobo for that same amount, RAM is basically free these days... a GeForce4 Ti 4400 128MB vid card for about $250, a decent plain-jane CD-ROM will be pretty cheap as well... that's a nice system for the price.

Of course, have I built a gaming pc for myself? For my brother yeah. For me? No. I like to spend my money on consoles for gaming.

Keep the rubber side down!

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2002, 03:44 PM

Yeah i remember Day Of The Tentacle. Another awesome game, i had so much fun playing that game too, it was truely a lot of fun, somethin most new games dont have. For soem reason now a days, most of the games are shooters, and i for one am extremely bored of that genre. Im glad full throttle 2 is coming out, and i might just buy a low end PC just so i can play this one game.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2002, 04:01 PM

L'enfanTerrible
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2002, 04:11 PM

This is off-topic, but how do I get .avi files to play in Quicktime? .. The file d/l'ed fine, and the sound was playing, yet the video would not play and it gave me an error msg "Software required to play this clip is not installed. Unfortuanatley it cannot be found on the Quicktime servers."

HELP

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2002, 06:33 PM

This is off-topic, but how do I get .avi files to play in Quicktime? .. The file d/l'ed fine, and the sound was playing, yet the video would not play and it gave me an error msg "Software required to play this clip is not installed. Unfortuanatley it cannot be found on the Quicktime servers."

HELP
DivX 5.0 Alpha(OSX) This should do the trick.

phazertwo
Forum Regular
Aug 17, 2002, 06:34 PM

It is a kids game, and I was a kid when I played it.

I am not as big into games as much as I used to be. I love the FF series, and lots of RPG's and RTS's.. and of course, Metal Gear SOLID

FPS's don't do anything for me, but I can understand why people like them.
Metal gear SOLID is a good game, tho i could never bring my self to beat it, or play it for more than 10 min. But I could watch my bro play it for and hour!! he was awsome at that game, never really boring watching him, but i could never get a hang ouf it. that was probley that last time i played my playstation one, and it was also the last system i bought, now that i am in highschool, i lost track of the games, and thought way more seriouly about girls, and just in the last 5 months have i started playing games again. My friend that lives a few blocks down got an x-box with HALO for his b-day, and the only thing that we have bought for it since are controlers. What they say is true, X-box has few good games, but the good ones it has, are awsome, just play the first mission of HALO, the graphics are sweet, and the story line perfect, with genitic engineering and all. Anyway, thats my opinion i'm not old enought to remember thos games. But i do remeber space quest, fun game, i beat it a bunch of times, and ninja turtles! that was a fun game. we picked up all thos at a games shop in a mall for a buck each, and it was the best investment ever.
PZ
P.S. does anyone remember the orignal wolfenstine? I loved that game

Forum Links
Forum Rules