Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Kindle Fire — Doesn't drift like a Prius

Kindle Fire — Doesn't drift like a Prius (Page 17)
The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2012, 02:15 PM

Anybody tested the Prius c?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2012, 03:55 PM

Too bad they didn't keep their concept car styling for the Prius C.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2012, 04:26 PM

No one keeps their concept styling into the production vehicle.
Besides, that concept art did not represent the rear look, so you can't claim yourself a victim

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2012, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
No one keeps their concept styling into the production vehicle.
Well, this is the Prius V concept design.

I figured the C wouldn't look like it's concept design but in reality that concept design isn't really all *that* radical in appearance. Mind you, it looks more like what maybe a 2015 luxury sports sedan in the front should look like rather than a budget hybrid.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2012, 10:47 PM

That looks really terrible.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2012, 10:54 PM

True aerodynamism is disappointingly non muscly looking.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2012, 11:05 PM

Eww.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2012, 11:37 PM

ouch, hidious

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 22, 2012, 06:35 PM

Are IO$ users who **** on Android OS without even trying it slowly becoming the Winblow$ users of circa 2003? If so, at what stage of trollism have we sunk into?
As an Android user, I feel like there is a grain of truth to iOS users who crap on Android. Android really is an inferior OS for the general public and can be a very frustrating experience. I could definitely understand someone going from iOS to Android and feeling like Android is a complete piece of crap.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2012, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
ouch, hidious
4 MPG greater than regular Prius
Native iPod/iPhone USB audio/charger port

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2012, 11:40 PM

I always thought the Prius looked a little like a Lamborghinni that REALLY let itself go.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2012, 01:19 AM

4 MPG greater than regular Prius
Native iPod/iPhone USB audio/charger port
WOW! That is an impressive, update.

Salty
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2012, 04:35 AM

For a long time when Android seemed like it was going to try and be it's own thing I wanted to like it. But then when it became clear that Android was never going to be anything other than a cheaper version of iOS with a few random features only the most OCD of nerds would care about, I stopped bothering trying. And when I tried Windows Phone and felt like it was better done, that's when I decided I would stop making excuses for Android. I mean, don't get me wrong, I don't like Windows Phone, but at least it's it's own thing. People complain that Android is like iOS because that's what makes sense, but Windows Phone works and is largely different. Google could come up with meaningful user paradigms but they're too busy checking off a feature list.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2012, 06:04 PM

Toyota Drowns In Orders For Game Changing Prius C | Hybrid Cars
http://m.utsandiego.com/news/2012/ma...c-start-19710/
Prius C finally available in the US while in Japan a whole year worth of sales was preordered by February. Will the 54MPG, $19k, and full iPhone integration bring the Toyota hybrid back from its sales slump? (3% marketshare in 2009, 2% in 2002).
Perhaps it will have an edge among those who haven't defaulted yet on their 2006 mortgages.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2012, 08:05 PM

Mmmm. I'd like to recall my posts of cheer toward the Prius C. The 19k hybrid interior is like the interior of a cheap Chevy compact, perhaps same subcontractor.

Comparing the regular Prius to the c version is like comparing an iPhone 4 to a blackberry.

It is still 55MPG, and drives like a Golf (not a golf cart), so you may appreciate the gas savings that may buy a Mac Pro every 12 months.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 28, 2012, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Speaking of Google... Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich is getting good reviews.
[...]
Tablets:
Ice Cream Sandwich on the Transformer Prime review: first look | PC Pro blog
Asus Eee Pad Transformer Prime Ice Cream Sandwich Update Review
It didn't appear to help.
Judge: Asus Transformer Isn’t Infringing On Hasbro’s Trademark – And Asus Reveals Embarrassing Sales Stats | TechCrunch
So when court filings reveal that pre-orders for this poster child for Android 4 tablets (and it does look great) total a whopping 2,000 units as of a month ago, it’s kind of a letdown. That and 80,000 going to retailers worldwide make the device seem rather minor even in comparison to other Android products like the Nook Color and Kindle Fire. Is there a space for “premium” Android devices running just plain Android? The market seems smaller than big players like Asus would like to believe — or at least it is not growing as quickly as they expected.
Ouch. Ouch. Ouch.

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
I liked the Transformer so much I ordered a Prime with KB doc for myself.
You were the other guy?

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2012, 05:37 PM

For some really daft reason, in France you can't by the Prime without the keyboard.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2012, 11:02 PM

Will test drive the Prius C tomorrow and check out the maintenance schedule. Perhaps it is a better deal since the battery pack would be cheaper to replace.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 12, 2012, 11:15 PM

I was in Vancouver last month, and the taxi driver said he had over 400000 km on his Prius. No engine rebuild, nothing. Just regular maintenance.

I'm at about 115000 km now after 8 years, so I'll probably just keep it for the foreseeable future. No urge to upgrade.

My main problem was a fscked up multi-function display a couple of years ago, which is the touch screen that controls the audio and climate systems, and what shows what's happening with the gas mileage and engine energy usage. You can drive without it, but it's annoying not to have it. The dealership wanted an arm and a leg to replace it, so I got it repaired by some Prius parts dude in the US and installed it myself. My only other significant problem now is a locked up CD changer due to a stuck CD, but since I rarely played CDs anyway and because it's an expensive unit specific to this model car, I didn't bother getting it replaced. Oh and there is slight oxidation or something under the paint on one edge of the hood in a small spot.

P.S. Google is partnering with Asus to create a 7" tablet to compete with the Fire. I am waiting to see what this will be, but if it has external flash media support with large file size (> 4 GB) support and full MKV playback, I may just buy one.
( Last edited by Eug; Apr 12, 2012 at 11:23 PM. )

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2012, 08:57 AM

My Asus Transformer (before summer 2011 model) has stopped working. I'm jumping through hoops to get it resolved.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2012, 12:02 PM

Tech Support... roll out!.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 13, 2012, 10:53 PM

Bottom Line - Hybrid owners unlikely to buy another one, study shows

Ouch, that's not good for the hybrid movement.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 14, 2012, 08:56 AM

From the article above It seems for hybrids, only Prius owners are relatively loyal. 41% hybrid re-purchase rate (myself included). Nobody seems to repurchase hybrids after buying a different model hybrid.

P.S. By posting my repair record above, I must have jinxed myself. Got a flat yesterday, and used my mini-spare for the first time ever. Hopefully it can be patched. I don't really feel like spending $300 + installation for another pair of tires.

Driving on mini-spares really sucks. I wish it had a full spare.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2012, 10:58 AM

My ipod touch just died and I'm thinking of replacing it with a Fire. I like the idea of the larger screen, but I also like the idea of a camera/microphone, which the Fire doesn't have. My last ipod had neither, so I have no first-hand experience. I don't want Siri, but I do want internet telephony, on the other hand I have a netbook that can do internet telephony, so what marginal utility does the ipod give me in that arena? I can't decide.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2012, 11:03 AM

I'm not sure what you're getting at. The iPod Touch does all of the things you mentioned, works with your present system seamlessly, is supported by a plethora of accessory makers, and fits in your pocket,

andi*pandi
Apr 14, 2012, 11:10 AM

Driving on mini-spares really sucks. I wish it had a full spare.
I haven't seen a full size spare in... ages. Don't all cars come with a minispare now? 50 miles at 50MPH just to get you to the nearest repair shop?

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2012, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by chabig View Post
I'm not sure what you're getting at. The iPod Touch does all of the things you mentioned, works with your present system seamlessly, is supported by a plethora of accessory makers, and fits in your pocket,
But the screen is a quarter as big, and doing anything interactive on that small screen was always a chore. Also the fact that it and its warranty replacement both died before their first year doesn't make me eager to buy another one.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 14, 2012, 03:07 PM

P.S. By posting my repair record above, I must have jinxed myself. Got a flat yesterday, and used my mini-spare for the first time ever. Hopefully it can be patched. I don't really feel like spending $300 + installation for another pair of tires.
I took the tire in to a dedicated tire shop, and they fixed it for 20 bucks. However, it looked like they didn`t bother removing the tire from the rim, and therefore did a fix from the outside - a mushroom plug. So I asked and they said that while it was on the tread, it was too close to the sidewall to do a proper patch and plug from the inside.

That didn`t sit right with me so I went to a second repair shop and they said if they can`t do a proper patch and plug from the inside, they wouldn`t bother fixing it at all. So, I bought two new tires. Unfortunately I couldn`t buy just one, because my model tire`s size has been discontinued.

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
I haven't seen a full size spare in... ages. Don't all cars come with a minispare now? 50 miles at 50MPH just to get you to the nearest repair shop?
Yeah I guess, and it was the first time I had to use it too. It was lucky it happened to me yesterday though, cuz it would have sucked if it happened to me tomorrow on a Sunday when I was on my several hundred km trip, on the highway when all the shops are closed.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2012, 04:38 PM

People who grow tired of their cars every 3-4 years are not representative of the hybrid movement. Surely if you trade in your Prius, you will get peanuts, keep your Prius debt, and buy a much less expensive replacement.

You gotta buy a true hybrid (Prius, equivalent or better) and use it beyond its payback period, which depends on your driving habits and the price of gas (always going up), and learn to repair it yourself.

Unfortunately, the Prius is priced for the above middle class individual, who doesn't feel the expense of gas in their daily lives, and that middle-to-lower class individuals, feel it in their pocket, yet are more likely to buy a Silverado.
( Last edited by The Godfather; Apr 14, 2012 at 05:17 PM. )

freudling
Banned
Apr 26, 2012, 07:43 PM

"In further Amazon news this afternoon, the company just reported its Q1 2012 earnings. The Seattle-based company is reporting $13.18 billion in revenue for the first quarter, compared to $9.86 billion YOY, which blows out analysts’ expectations for the online marketplace. However, Amazon’s net income was down 35 percent to $130 million. You can read the full announcement after the break."

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 26, 2012, 08:20 PM

It's all about context of course.

Amazon.com sails past estimates - The Globe and Mail

Amazon reported net income fell to $130-million, or 28 cents per diluted share, in the first quarter, against $201-million, or 44 cents, a year ago. But that was far above the average Wall Street forecast for 7 cents a share.

“This looks like a quarter that has something for everyone, growth and margins to satisfy investors. This was a perfect balance. It looks to me there was a follow-through for the Kindle and Kindle Fire in the re-acceleration of growth in media,” said Stifel Nicolaus analyst Jordan Rohan.

AMZN Up 13%: ’3P,’ Overseas Spend Weigh on Margin - Tech Trader Daily - Barrons.com

Regarding the operating income outlook, analysts asked why the International business saw a drop in operating income margin to just 0.9% in the quarter from 5% a year earlier, while the decline in North America, from 5.3% to 4.7%, was not as drastic.

Szkutak responded that costs have been higher to start up new countries overseas, including Italy and Spain, and said the company continues to spend on building its presence in China.

Note: The Kindle Fire is only sold in the US of A.

Kindle Fire helps Amazon beat 1Q estimates | CanadianBusiness.com

Amazon's surprisingly good January-March quarter — which helped drive its stock up 14 percent in after-market trading — came on the heels of a report from market tracker comScore Inc. that said the Kindle Fire had grabbed more than half of the U.S. market for Android-based tablet computers in February, just months after its Nov. 15 launch.

P.S. I don't recall if anyone ever posted this:

http://www.isuppli.com/Display-Mater...Was-Apple.aspx

The debut performance of the Kindle Fire played a strong role in the share shift as well, particularly in the U.S. market, which accounted for more than half of global fourth-quarter media tablet sales. Amazon shipped 3.9 million Fire tablets in the fourth quarter, allowing the company to garner a double-digit share of the market, at 14.3 percent. This drove Amazon to become the world’s second-largest tablet shipper in the fourth quarter, surpassing Samsung Electronics.

It will be interesting to see what the 2012 Q1 numbers are.
( Last edited by Eug; Apr 26, 2012 at 08:32 PM. )

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 26, 2012, 11:53 PM

It's almost like they're investing all their profits in growth...

freudling
Banned
Apr 28, 2012, 01:56 AM

Amazon has been a break even business for years. This isn't new at all. Go and read the several years worth of annual reports to see.

The reason their net income is so low is because they're an online junk retailer with next door to zero margins. In addition, doing business abroad has proven more challenging than they anticipated some years back when they began expanding. Their words.

Also, their spending on R&D is industry average.

Profit = 1%.

abby
Apr 28, 2012, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Sealobo View Post
Kindle Fire - Full Color Kindle with 7" Multi-Touch Display, Wi-Fi

What do you guys think? $199 is pretty "magical"...
$199 only? i mean wow! it is magical!
i bet it has a huge catch..

freudling
Banned
Jun 5, 2012, 12:46 AM

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 7, 2012, 03:42 PM

Considering it's the 3rd most popular tablet after the iPad and the Galaxy Tab, and has generated well north of a $1 billion in revenue, and because it has gotten Google to put their 7" tablet plans into overdrive, I'd have to conclude the Amazon's 7" has done pretty damn well.

It's totally reshaped the Android tablet market IMO.

Google Nexus 7 Tablet to Launch With Magazine Subscriptions

The publication stated that Google is expected to announce its first Android tablet at the end of this month, and that the new device will offer magazine subscriptions from some major magazine publishers.

Business Insider claims to have received this information from a source with knowledge of the company's plans.

Mind you, I think tablet magazine subscriptions so far pretty much suck, on all platforms.

Acer shows off Iconia Tab A110, $200 7-inch quad-core tablet running ICS

Acer announced the Iconia Tab A110, this is a tablet that runs Ice Cream Sandwich, has a 7-inch display with a resolution of 1280 x 800, NVIDIA Tegra 3 quad-core processor, 1GB of RAM, front-facing camera, HDMI and a microSD card slot.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jun 7, 2012, 04:33 PM

The only paper mag subs I have now are Playboy and Stereophile, all the rest are e-subs for my iPad. It's such a superior format.
- Thomas Paine

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 7, 2012, 05:20 PM

I personally don't subscribe to any magazines at all anymore. At our workplace, we do have some work-related journals though. My wife has one magazine subscription. It only has a print version, but an iPad version would be useless to her because she hates reading on the iPad for extended periods, as do I. If I were to get a new magazine subscription, it'd be print +/- additional e-version.

My reference books have e-versions, but none are built for the iPad. They're all browser based.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2012, 11:48 AM

Amazon boasts that the Kindle Fire is sold out, owns 22 percent of the US tablet market

Amazon claims the Kindle Fire has taken 22 percent of the US tablet market. That's impressive, but it's worth nothing that the Fire has basically no global presence. It has certainly been a successful product, but there's still a long way for it to go before it can challenge the likes of the iPad. According to IDC, Amazon had about a five percent share of the worldwide tablet market in Q2 2012, compared to 68 percent for Apple.

Amazon also noted that, as with almost every flagship Kindle release, the Fire has been the best-selling product across all of Amazon.com. The company also said that ten of the top ten best-selling products on Amazon since the Kindle Fire's launch have been Kindle products or Kindle-compatible content.

So, the Kindle Fire is now gone completely, but the release of the Kindle Fire 2 is imminent.

We've just been sent a shot of the next Kindle Fire, Amazon's Android-based tablet that's expected to be announced next week after the current model "sold out" earlier today. We're being told that a "pair" of Fires is likely — a 7- and a 10-incher — though it remains unclear whether both models will be introduced at the same time. We're not sure which model we're looking at here, but the scale of the keyboard suggests that seven inches is more likely.

It's at best pretty plain looking, but the pic is terrible.

However, as I mentioned in the iPad threads, I've gone with the Google/Asus Nexus 7 myself, and love the form factor. Get ready for the iPad mini.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2012, 12:45 PM

http://www.xconomy.com/seattle/2012/08/30/amazons-fuzzy-math-stop-encouraging-them/

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2012, 04:45 PM

Sounds like somebody is on a grumpy rant. The only usable point in the original Amazon press release is that they have 22% of the US tablet market. Everything else is press mumbo jumbo but for some reason that xconomy.com writer gets all uptight about it.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2012, 04:01 AM

He's pissed that the misrepresentation is what's being reported.

"We've sold out" carries the connotation of massive demand.

When "we've stopped production" is, at best, neutral.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2012, 04:14 AM

We'll, he's just stating the obvious about that. It's PR-speak, so he shouldn't be surprised.

BTW, with 22% of the US market, I'd say that's pretty good demand.

I wonder what the Nexus 7 has done to the Kindle Fire 2's future sales. Once I purchased the the Nexus 7, I have lost interest in the Kindle Fire 2 completely. However, it's a moot point in Canada anyway, because the Kindle Fire was never for sale here, and I suspect the Kindle Fire 2 won't be either.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Aug 31, 2012, 05:01 AM

I miss freudling. I'd like to see him tell us how a 22% market share is a failure.

P
Aug 31, 2012, 05:17 AM

That would actually be quite easy to do. To release market share numbers without releasing the number of tablets sold is more than a little shady, and makes me suspect funny math.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2012, 06:58 AM

Truthfully, 22% was a surprising number for me too. I was expecting less than that for the Kindle Fire, and it made me wonder if The Verge was talking about Kindles overall. However, they specifically say Kindle Fire. Yeah, Amazon hasn't released specific tablet numbers, but then again neither had Apple. It was the lawsuit that got them to release the numbers:

BTW, according to the other reports, the 22% number for the Fire is supposed to cover the 9 months after it was released, so it would include the Xmas period, so I could believe that. It would mean several million units of the Fire were sold over 9 months including Xmas, compared to the 10 million iPads sold in 2012 H1, and the millions more sold at the end of 2011.

P.S. Anecdotes are not data, but it was interesting to hear that at my local shop the Nexus 7 was outselling iPad, despite the fact that supplies of the Nexus 7 were constrained. However, that was over a 1 month period, right after the release of the Nexus 7.

---

And fresh off the press: AppleInsider reviews the Nexus 7

Despite a current lack of dedicated Android tablet apps, the Nexus 7 is a compelling piece of hardware. While the Kindle Fire felt like its main selling point was the low $199 price point, Google's Nexus 7 goes beyond its low cost and provides relatively powerful hardware inside a well-built package. The truth is, the Nexus 7 would still be an attractive product at an even higher price point.

That said, this device is no iPad, and it doesn't even feel like it was made to compete with Apple's market dominating tablet. The narrow screen feels best suited for primarily reading books with the occasional Web browsing and app usage, which pits the Nexus 7 as more of a Kindle competitor than an iPad challenger.

[Ed note: I disagree with this statement. It's an iPad mini challenger. ]

While the Nexus 7 is easy to recommend for anyone looking for a tablet in the smaller 7-inch class, it would be inadvisable for anyone who can wait to buy in to this market segment now. Apple is widely expected to debut its own smaller iPad later this year with a 7.85-inch display that will be larger than the Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire, but still considerably smaller than the 9.7-inch iPad.

Having spent time with the Nexus 7 and felt how responsive the device is, it's easy to see how a smaller iPad would be a big seller. A powerful tablet in a compact form factor feels like a device meant for different uses than a full-sized iPad. If Apple can produce a smaller iPad that is significantly lighter than the current model, allowing for the device to be easily held with one hand, we'd welcome such a product, even without sandpaper in the box.

P.S. Where did our friend freudling go?

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2012, 07:38 AM

Hah. That seems like it was written by freudling's doppelganger.....but, like, for good.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 2, 2012, 03:18 PM

Sounds like somebody is on a grumpy rant. The only usable point in the original Amazon press release is that they have 22% of the US tablet market. Everything else is press mumbo jumbo but for some reason that xconomy.com writer gets all uptight about it.
According to what metric? A week? A month? A day? Everything Amazon touted in their statement was spurious.
- Thomas Paine

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 2, 2012, 03:35 PM

I like Asymco.

http://www.asymco.com/2012/08/31/how-many-kindle-fires-were-sold/

Conclusive argument that Amazon had a run of five million Kindle Fires produced and just waited until they were sold off.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 2, 2012, 05:10 PM

According to what metric? A week? A month? A day? Everything Amazon touted in their statement was spurious.
For the 9 month period after release, for the US.

And so far, even the doubters out there in internetland seem to concede that based on US analysts' sales estimates, Amazon's claim is in the right ballpark.

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
I like Asymco.
http://www.asymco.com/2012/08/31/how-many-kindle-fires-were-sold/
Conclusive argument that Amazon had a run of five million Kindle Fires produced and just waited until they were sold off.
That doesn't really make any sense. Amazon would not just order 5 million Kindle Fires and hope they sell within a year. If it was a bomb, that would give them a huge unsold inventory. Most likely they had a generous initial order but it was way, way less than 5 million, but when it sold well they kept upping their manufacturing of the unit, and timed the end of the manufacturing so that in would not overlap with their Kindle Fire 2. If the Kindle Fire 2 comes out very soon, then their supply timing is fairly good. If it comes out in a few months, then they ended the production of the original Kindle Fire too early. Either way, most of us expected the Kindle Fire 2 to come out before Xmas. The question was how soon before Xmas. September? November?

Apple does this timing all the time. The key is to maintain enough inventory to keep sales up, but not so there's a glut of units when the new models come out. One example of a severe miscalculation was the G5 iMac, related to G5 yield issues, causing the G5 iMac to come out months late. This was a big problem, as they had already terminated production of the G4 model so there was a hole of a few months of no iMacs being made.

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/Oppenheimer_iMac_Delays_Due_to_G5_Problems_at_IBM/

P.S. Business Insider estimates the 22% number is equivalent to something between 4.7 million and 5.6 million, with their favoured guess more like 5.2 million.

http://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-claims-it-has-22-percent-of-the-us-tablet-market-2012-8

Forum Links
Forum Rules