Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MBP Keyboard & Trackpad Unresponsive

MBP Keyboard & Trackpad Unresponsive
klb5090
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2007, 12:38 PM

Hey everyone,
Recently (in the last two days) if i'm using my computer for more than 15 or so minutes as i'm working the keyboard and trackpad will go unresponsive and i am left with no choice but to hold down the power button and restart. MPB 2.2GHz running 10.5.1. Any ideas whats going on? AFter i do a hard restart everything works perfectly but then same problem after a few minutes.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2007, 02:55 PM

Odd. Anything in the system logs?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

klb5090  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2007, 08:55 PM

no nothing at all, and i hate to say it but it stopped. The only thing on my list that seems to be different is my mighty mouse, i have my MBP set to take inputs from both the mouse and trackpad but my mouse is on its last leg of battery life and ever since i turned it off completely and got new batteries its been fine.

Keda
Senior User
Dec 10, 2007, 10:32 PM

I'm bumping this thread, because I'm having trackpad issues on a 12" PowerBook 1Ghz, 10.5.1.

Life was good, until I plugged in a USB Mighty Mouse. After a few minutes of mousing, I decided to move to another room, sans mouse. After I unplugged the MM, the trackpad was completely dead. I plugged and unplugged the mouse, played w/system prefs, and restarted. All without any luck.

Any ideas? Is this something that can be tested or reset?

TIA

RxGator
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 11, 2007, 01:43 AM

I have hard about this happening to numerous individuals who upgraded to Leopard. I am currently still using Tiger but have heard that a temporary fix might be to press the num lock button repeatedly (5 - 6 times) and it might come out of its freeze. Hope this works until Apple can get on the ball.

Keda
Senior User
Dec 11, 2007, 07:42 AM

Thanks for the reply.

After posting here, I found a thread on Apple's site. There were no real solutions. Most users were recommending to do things like the Num Lock trick. None of it worked for me. I ended up zapping PRAM. This does not make me feel better, because nothing was repaired, only the symptoms were fixed.

This is a very serious bug. When it strikes, there is no way to interact with your machine and you are stuck in a very unpleasant situation. Although I think Leopard has some great features, it seems to have been rushed out the door. I'm hoping we see a .2 release soon.

On a side note, many of the people who were experiencing about this on apple.com were first time Mac users. These folks were particularly upset, because they had bought a Mac to avoid the upgrade woes that they found on Win. Apple needs to be on top of these problems, or they risk a serious backlash from newer users.

Forum Links
Forum Rules