Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > iCal is in your iDisk

iCal is in your iDisk
wunderkind
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 10, 2002, 05:04 AM

Version 1.0. Downloading it now...
PB G4 12" 1.5GHz/1.2GB/100GB/SuperDrive/AE/Mac OS X Tiger

sheer
Forum Regular
Sep 10, 2002, 05:41 AM

Originally posted by wunderkind:
Version 1.0. Downloading it now...
How does 10.2 run on that iBook of yours? I'm after a portable, mainly for Photoshopping and as a back up for my digi camera when I'm on the road, and also for internet use, but don't wanna shell out on a PBG4 unless 10.2 runs like a dog on the iBook...

kelix
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 10, 2002, 06:14 AM

hey guys.... what version you got?

mine reports 1.0 (v396) but some others have diff builds..
says under get info menu....

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 10, 2002, 06:49 AM

Originally posted by kelix:
hey guys.... what version you got?

mine reports 1.0 (v396) but some others have diff builds..
says under get info menu....
1.0 (v.400) ha! Could this be different versions for different hardware? This is on a dual 500 G4 btw.

-matt

ksuther
Forum Regular
Sep 10, 2002, 07:12 AM

v400 here...

Janger
Forum Regular
Sep 10, 2002, 07:21 AM

I really cannot say wether it's v396 or v400: iCal constantly crashes on my TiBook 550, 10.2.

JFischel
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 10, 2002, 07:25 AM

Is iSync part of the Jag already? I'm wondering if iCal can sync w/ my c-phone, iPod, and Clie now...

Josh
20 Inch Intel iMac * MacBook 2 GHz * 60GB iPod * 4GB iPhone

Janger
Forum Regular
Sep 10, 2002, 07:37 AM

Originally posted by JFischel:
Is iSync part of the Jag already? I'm wondering if iCal can sync w/ my c-phone, iPod, and Clie now...

Josh
iSync will be Beta in late September.

TC
Senior User
Sep 10, 2002, 07:50 AM

Have a look at the library of calendars you can subscribe to on the Apple web site, seems pretty cool.

The interface isn�t finished though. Double clicking on an event should open it but instead you have to click on the info button or hit command-i.

The interface just feels slow like iPhoto, hopefully it will be imprpoved later.

Still playing with it, any applescript to import contacts available?

Ok,just found it, File-Import-Import Entourage Data
Nothing to see, move along.

speirsfr
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 10, 2002, 07:59 AM

TC, if you double click the 'title' bar of an event, you'll get the info window.

(Mine is v400, btw)
PowerBook G4 17"
Power Mac G4/800, 1Gb RAM, 80Gb HDD, Superdrive, GeForce 4MX, Gateway 21" CRT, Apple Pro Speakers, iSub - Running Mac OS X Server 10.2
iBook 500, 192MbRAM - Running Mac OS X 10.2
iPod 5Gb

eno
Banned
Sep 10, 2002, 08:02 AM

Cool.... I've been waiting for this for ages....

wunderkind  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 10, 2002, 08:37 AM

v400 on iBook 700. The interface does feel sluggish.

atomium
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 10, 2002, 08:44 AM

I... have... never... seen... an... app... run... soooo... slow....

Seriously. This is painful. Granted, I'm on a Pismo 500, but sheesh. I'm afraid of missing events due to waiting for their info window to come up. And I haven't even tried publishing yet.

10.2 is great on this machine, as is just about every app I run. Just not iCal. v400 is the build.

-atomium

NeXTLoop
Senior User
Sep 10, 2002, 08:46 AM

Sheer, I'm running 10.2 on an iBook 600Mhz, and its fine. Obviously not as fas as on a G4, but its no dog. I use Photoshop, ImageReady, GoLive, RB, GraphicConverter, and others with no problems.

atomium
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 10, 2002, 08:53 AM

Oh, and how hard would it have been to put the day's events in a Dock icon popup? I mean, if Palm's programmers can figure it out, surely the kids at Apple could, no?

-atomium

wunderkind  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 10, 2002, 08:53 AM

Originally posted by sheer:

How does 10.2 run on that iBook of yours? I'm after a portable, mainly for Photoshopping and as a back up for my digi camera when I'm on the road, and also for internet use, but don't wanna shell out on a PBG4 unless 10.2 runs like a dog on the iBook...
10.2 runs pretty well on the 700. Noticeably faster than 10.1.5. Definitely was a worthwhile upgrade.

Last weekend I had an intense session cropping images in PS7.0 an printing them out on HP LaserJet 4500. I was rather impressed with the speed. But again I am not a pro Photoshop user. I never use Altivec-optimized filters. Just adjust and crop images to prepare figures for publication. It all depends on how much/often you use Photoshop. If you use it to make a living, then PB may be a better choice.

eno
Banned
Sep 10, 2002, 08:58 AM

How the hell do you delete To Do List items in this POS?

And how do you get the search to work? I type in words that I know are in the calendar and it finds nothing.

Nathan Adams
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 10, 2002, 09:01 AM

iCal runs fine here on my iMac G4 700 512mb Ram.
Actually, changing months in monthly view takes a while, but viewing withing day, and week (which is my preferred view) is snappy enough.

One feature I would like to see added is being able to link certain To Do items to specific events.
For instance, I have a tutorial for uni in for Tueday mornings. It would be good to link the "Modern Art Essay" to that tutorial, so I know exactly when it's due, and what it relates to.

One more; further intergration with the Address Book - automatically take any birthday I have listed in the Address Book and add it as an 'all day event' on the appropriate day.

eno
Banned
Sep 10, 2002, 09:06 AM

Originally posted by eno:
How the hell do you delete To Do List items in this POS?

And how do you get the search to work? I type in words that I know are in the calendar and it finds nothing.
Answer: quit iCal and relaunch.

atomium
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 10, 2002, 09:58 AM

The slow launch time wouldn't be nearly as painful if it didn't close the app when you close the window. So I have to keep the window open or minimized in the dock in order to access the calendar quickly? Ugh. What a pain.

I won't even get into how it took all of my annually repeating events from my Palm vCal import and shifted them backwards one day. Everybody's birthday comes one day early this year! Must be a feature, not a bug!

-r

El Pre$idente
Banned
Sep 10, 2002, 10:05 AM

What a load of fscking rubbish iCal is. It barely responds to mouse clicks or keyboard commands.

TC
Senior User
Sep 10, 2002, 10:36 AM

Originally posted by speirsfr:
TC, if you double click the 'title' bar of an event, you'll get the info window.

(Mine is v400, btw)
Depends which view you are in. If you are in week view then it shows you the info, if you are in month view and double click it will select a word in the event description. If you double click on the day then it swaps to the day view. Double clicking in day view again tries to select the text. If you double click on the alarm bell then it does open the info window. But if the even doesn�t have an alarm then you can�t.

Inconsistent interface, very slow interface, try moving from day view to month view or resizing the window.

This app has great potential but looks like another release they rushed out. It doesn�t give anything over Entourage in this form though, please Apple give us hierarchichal todo lists in a future release!!!!

milenko11
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 10, 2002, 10:42 AM

why is there a thing to register ical?!?!

TC
Senior User
Sep 10, 2002, 10:46 AM

OK I take it back, if you click in the area just to the left of the event text it does open up the info window, that works in every view and for todo lists.

Just had a strange bug where no matter where I clicked in the todo lists it would just tick and untick one item. I had to restart the app to fix this.

One other thing for an update Apple, how about allowing us to get it to run an app as an alarm for an event???? That way this app could be so much more useful.

atomium
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 10, 2002, 10:46 AM

OK. So I'm on a roll here with "Things I don't like about iCal". But I am really disappointed.

Has anyone figured out a way to attach a contact to an item without inviting them? I'd like to have my vet's number with the event (Distemper shots @ 3pm) in my calendar, without having to "invite" him to the appointment. That way when it e-mails me a reminder, I have his number there with it.

Sure I could type it into the notes, but Palm has had this feature for years. I'd even settle for being able to drag a vCard into the notes field and have it place the contact info.

This release has a lot of focus on "connectivity" and not nearly enough on "productivity".

-atomium

TC
Senior User
Sep 10, 2002, 11:01 AM

Something else I just noticed, in day and week view you can create a new event by clicking and dragging. Very easy way to create events.

You can also 'resize' events to change start and end times or just drag them around to change when they start.

Sorry to keep posting but I just keep finding things.

I found this stuff in the quictime movie in the iCal help

Mithras
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2002, 11:13 AM

Just to note, for the kvetchers, there is a nice little "Provide iCal Feedback" item in the application menu. Selecting it takes you to the website:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ical.html

which has some survey questions (e.g. "Which view do you use most?") and a space to solicit your feedback or bug reports.

So Apple is very interested in improving this 1.0 product with your assistance.

Or you can b!itch about to us.

The Evener
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 10, 2002, 11:39 AM

I just downloaded iCal for my Rev. A (tangerine) iBook, so I'm not surprised that is runs sluggish on my system. But what I find irritating is the fact iCal doesn't "remember" its last window position, along with other apps like Terminal. I didn't have this problem with apps "forgetting" positions with 10.1.5 -- are others having problems on this front? If my problems are isolated, I'll reinstall Jaguar to see if that fixes it. What I find curious is that some applications, like Mail, do remember their last position so I'm not sure what the overall problem is. Oh, and I trashed prefs to no effect.

"Psssst..."

TC
Senior User
Sep 10, 2002, 11:52 AM

Originally posted by Mithras:
Or you can b!itch about to us.
Ooops, I did both!

Also it doesn�t use the date format specified in System Preferences, it always uses US format Month/Day/Year.
( Last edited by TC; Sep 10, 2002 at 12:38 PM. )

Nathan Adams
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 10, 2002, 09:41 PM

it does? Displays my dates fine in the day/month/year format...

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2002, 09:47 PM

So... What's the significance of July 17th? Is that S. Jobs' birthday, or what?

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2002, 10:17 PM

Originally posted by chris v:
So... What's the significance of July 17th? Is that S. Jobs' birthday, or what?
It's the day iCal was shown the first time (iCal's birthday if you want to).
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

PowerMatt
Senior User
Sep 11, 2002, 01:18 AM

For those of you who have Entourage & iCal, which do you prefer? Why? Give initial sumations after your first day of use/
It I want your opinion, I'll beat it out of you.

TC
Senior User
Sep 11, 2002, 02:37 AM

Originally posted by Nathan Adams:
it does? Displays my dates fine in the day/month/year format...
Arse!
It was showing US format all day yesterday no matter what I changed.

Today I took the obvious step of restarting iCal and I am now getting day/month/year format. Don�t know why I was getting month/day/year at the start but thanks for setting me straight.

Anyone else noticed you have to restart for the date on the calendar in the dock to change?

Retrograde
Forum Regular
Sep 11, 2002, 05:03 AM

Is there any way to import the Palm calendar information into iCal?

In the same vein, can you import contact from the Palm app into the Address Book?

Anyone have any luck or hints on how to do this?
Ceci n'est pas une pomme. Magritte

Forum Links
Forum Rules