Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Hacking System font in Jaguar

Hacking System font in Jaguar
The Evener
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 4, 2002, 04:02 AM

Sorry if this has been explored before, but after performing a search of the forums I couldn't come up with any specific info, so here goes...

Over the past several weeks, I've seen people post screen shots of their desktops in various threads utilizing different themes for Jaguar, including new Finder/system-wide fonts. However, these threads were not about hacking OS X so there wasn't any clarification about the process they used.

Now I remember there was an older thread about hacking new themes, but could someone add some words about changing the Finder/system wide font? I've heard before they are "hard-coded" but a link to a FAQ about changing them or any other help would be greatly appreciated. In my own situation, I'd be interested in just reducing the default size of the Finder/System font -- is that possible with a hack?

I should also add that I know with Jaguar you can change the size of the font within Finder windows, but I'm interested in modifying the font along the top of the Window (File, Edit, View, etc).

"Psssst..."

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2002, 02:42 PM

As far as I know it cannot be done. I haven't seen it anywhere if it is being done.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2002, 09:50 PM

Many have tried.... all have failed. I don't know why this is so difficult.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

The Evener  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 5, 2002, 04:43 AM

I hope some "themers" read this thread, because I did see some new Aqua substitutes that utilized a different font than the default. Now if using a new font requires using a completely new theme, then I'll just leave it alone, but I'm curious how these folks were able to use new fonts. I can't remember the thread, but someone took a "snapshot" of their System Pref panel, and it was using a new theme and an entirely new font. Again, this thread was not specifically about theming, but I've forgotten the subject so I can't write to the person who posted the shot...

"Psssst..."

stew
Senior User
Oct 5, 2002, 08:04 AM

You can set some defaults with Tinkertool, but many applications ignore that. I think the most reliable way would be simply replacing/modifying LucidaGrande.dfont.
But as MacOS does not have a font sensitive UI toolkit (grr), things are likely to get messed up when you change the font size.

Stink different.

Forum Links
Forum Rules