Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Help me burn a PC compatible data DVD for a friend

Help me burn a PC compatible data DVD for a friend
ckohler
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 5, 2002, 06:19 PM

A PC using friend of mine who doesn't have a DVD writer asked if I could take 4gig of his data files and burn them to a DVD-R using my FP iMac. He could then use that disc as a backup. Thus, the DVD-R data disc I burn needs to be PC compatible.

Once I had all his data on my iMac hard drive, I inserted a blank DVD-R and dragged all of the data to it using the Finder. I then burnt the disc. The resulting disc could be read on my Mac, but his PC's DVD drive couldn't understand it. Any suggestions?

ckohler  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 6, 2002, 03:51 AM

Anybody?

The Evener
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 6, 2002, 05:09 AM

From what I understand, there are several "formats" of DVD drives out there in circulation (DVD-R, DVD+RW, DVD-RAM) and data burned for one is not always compatible with the other.

The FP iMac uses a DVD-R, while many PCs use DVD-RAM. Perhaps incompatible players are the problem, rather than an issue with burning for "Mac" or "PC".

If it's a player issue, I'm not sure there's much you can do. If the players are the same, maybe check out Toast 5 and see if it can meet your needs.

"Psssst..."

Forum Links
Forum Rules