Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > iLife won't ship on time

iLife won't ship on time
Tiffany Mac
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2003, 10:25 PM

It's Official: MacNN sources report that Apple will delay the release of iLife, its suite of four digital hub applications due to problems with GM ("Golden Master") of the iLife CD.

However, their is no reason why this should delay the downloaded release of iMovie3 and iPhoto2 because they have nothing to do with technical issues Apple is having!
( Last edited by Tiffany Mac; Jan 23, 2003 at 12:20 PM. )

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2003, 10:28 PM

Well, if its a week or less, I guess thats OK. But I still hope that the Apple retail stores gets them in quick.

dtriska
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2003, 10:39 PM

Originally posted by Tiffany Mac:
I know it say before 2/5/03, but why wouldn't it say 1/25/03?
Because demand is greater than supply?

krove
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2003, 11:17 PM

I hope we can still download the apps.

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

scottiB
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2003, 11:20 PM

From the MacNN front page:
Sources: iLife digital hub suite delayed?
MacNN sources report that Apple may delay the release of iLife, its suite of four digital hub applications due to problems with GM ("Golden Master") of the iLife CD. The $50 package will not be available for sale as anticipated on Saturday, January 25th (and the new release date was not yet known); however, the unreleased individual components, iMovie 3 and iPhoto 2, maybe made available via the Internet for download (as previously announced). iTunes 3 is already available (released last fall) and iDVD 3 will only be available as part of the retail package. (Apple would not return phone calls to confirm the iLife delay or the availability of iPhoto 2 and iMovie 3 downloads). New Apple Store orders are quoting 5-7 days for the estimated shipping date, while one reader noted that his order would ship on January 30th. (We are seeking additional confirmation and details.)

The Evener
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2003, 12:07 AM

This is inconvenient for those who ordered the iLife suite, no doubt about it. At the same time, I'm also disappointed to hear from those at MacWorld that iPhoto 2 is not noticably faster than iPhoto 1.1. It seems hard to believe the app is optimized out, but I guess I'll know for sure once I downloaded it.

BTW, does anyone know of the *exact* requirements for iPhoto 2? I have a 300MHz clamshell iBook, and with iPhoto 1.1 the requirements stated "minimum 400MHz processor" or something like that. Of course iPhoto works just fine on my laptop, but I'm wondering if that language is still there?

"Psssst..."

AU_student_iceBook
Senior User
Jan 23, 2003, 12:27 AM

Originally posted by The Evener:
...I'm also disappointed to hear from those at MacWorld that iPhoto 2 is not noticably faster than iPhoto 1.1. ....
BTW, does anyone know of the *exact* requirements for iPhoto 2?
I disagree with the assesment of iPhoto2's speed that you heard from MacWorld. I believe that it is faster.
Requirements from Apple's website (for iLife):
System Requirements
Macintosh computer with PowerPC G3 or G4 processor.
256MB of physical RAM.
Mac OS X v10.1.5 or later (Mac OS X v10.2.2 or later recommended).
2GB disk space required to install iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, and iDVD (Apple SuperDrive required for iDVD) or 250MB disk space to install iTunes, iPhoto, and iMovie only.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jan 23, 2003, 01:34 AM

The real test will be if it's on the shelves of the Apple Stores on the 25th. That's where most of the initial copies are likely to be going.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Tiffany Mac  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 23, 2003, 12:17 PM

I see no reason why this should delay the downloaded release of iMovie3 and iPhoto2 because they have nothing to do with technical issues Apple is having, i.e, the GM.

It's funny, i ordered iLife from online, but i think the iLife shippments will first go to the Apple Stores. Maybe i should just wait for the releases instead of purchasing online.

Do you feel the same way?
( Last edited by Tiffany Mac; Jan 23, 2003 at 12:24 PM. )

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2003, 01:09 PM

I "heard" that iDVD3 is the problem. The rest should be available for download.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Sven G
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2003, 01:17 PM

... Maybe they finally decided to include external FireWire/USB 2 DVD-RW burner support in iDVD...?

That would be almost too good to be true...!

(Just think about how many existing Mac users would actually buy iLife if iDVD weren't "limited"...)

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

DavidHossack
Forum Regular
Jan 23, 2003, 03:18 PM

Mac OS X v10.1.5 or later (Mac OS X v10.2.2 or later recommended).
oh bug**r.

That means that it has not lost its built in brushed metal. I noticed the album list still showed the dark blue hilight with black text instead of white as it should. Will anybody work out how to remove the brushed metal so the .nib can be tidied up and properly metalised.
David.

Spirit_VW
Senior User
Jan 23, 2003, 05:25 PM

Originally posted by AU_student_iceBook:
I disagree with the assesment of iPhoto2's speed that you heard from MacWorld. I believe that it is faster.
I agree. Think Secret's preview of iPhoto 2 states that it is faster.
Kevin Buchanan
Fort Worthology

Scifience
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2003, 05:27 PM

When I get it, I most likely will hack the nib and post the result on my website, like I did for iSync and Safari, etc. You can look there after it comes out, but do give me a couple days!

http://www.scifience.net/

Forum Links
Forum Rules