Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How to use pbook and cell phone?

How to use pbook and cell phone?
Fellow2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 5, 2003, 05:08 AM

I am planning on going on a small roadtrip during Christmas break and I would like to have internet while on the road.

I attend university in Canada but live in the states, so when I go home, I get my cell phone reactivated for just 1 month. I first know I need to choose some kind of plan that includes digital minutes right?

I have a motorola v60i. I already have it hooked up to my powerbook with a usb cable and use iSync with it.

So what exactly do I need to do to get on the internet with this thing. Once I have the plan, and I hook it up, are there any drivers I need to download or anything.

Anyone with a similar setup can you tell me your experiences?

What speed can I expect?

Thank you.

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 5, 2003, 12:15 PM

who is your service provider?? You may want to ask them what number you dial to get on the internet with your laptop through your cell.

I do similar with my Sprint phone. I just had to go into the network settings and select the USB device it has for my phone (forget what it called it), and set the number to #777. Then just dial and I'm online through the cell. I also set the modem type to "Sprint PCS Vision" but I dunno what difference this makes, as it worked the same when set to a generic 56k modem.

With sprint I get speeds roughly twice as fast as 56k dial-up. I can't seem to pickup any 3G connectivity here, so if you can get 3G connectivity and your phone supports it, speeds will be faster.

hamiltondj
Forum Regular
Dec 5, 2003, 10:06 PM

check out the maccellphone group on yahoo groups. they have lots of details on getting your cell phone connected to your mac.

Its a pretty straightforward process, but I had to download a new driver for my phone (moto 720i). The group had the file.

Check out the group, they had me connected in about 15 minutes

Forum Links
Forum Rules