Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Digital out for older PowerMacs?

Digital out for older PowerMacs?
goose
Forum Regular
Sep 9, 2004, 01:17 PM

I was looking to see if I could get some kind of 5.1 out of my Mac for when I watch DVDs. Yeah, I know it's probably better to invest in the home theater thing, but right now, my TV is being monopolized by my wife.

Is there something that's relatively cheap (sub $100) that would work? I saw something about a Cables to Go audio device that connects through USB. Would that be sufficient enough for "basic" DVD watching?

Thanks.

There's never enough when you have too little

cnelson87
Forum Regular
Sep 9, 2004, 05:13 PM

M-Audio makes the Revolution 5.1, Revolution 7.1, and Audiophile 2496 soundcards with digital output via S/PDIF.
I have the Audiophile and Logitech Z680 speakers and it is AWESOME.

goose  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 7, 2004, 02:13 PM

Thanks for the response. Been looking to get the Revolution 5.1. Just wondering, do I need to pick up a box that says Mac edition or something like that (kinda like how I had to look for it when I got my ATI video card). Or am I able to just pick up any Revolution 5.1 card and it'll work? Thanks.

paingold
Oct 7, 2004, 06:47 PM

Originally posted by goose:
Thanks for the response. Been looking to get the Revolution 5.1. Just wondering, do I need to pick up a box that says Mac edition or something like that (kinda like how I had to look for it when I got my ATI video card). Or am I able to just pick up any Revolution 5.1 card and it'll work? Thanks.
I was curious myself so I checked out M-Audio's site. Their Revolution 5.1 card is compatible with OSX.
Here's the link: http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...on51-main.html

goose  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 12, 2004, 12:06 AM

Thanks for the response. Just deciding if I should get it or not. Been reading up on people with kernel panics with 10.3. Also, min specs are G4 733 QS for multichannel sound. Not sure if my DP G4 500 will work well. Any recommendations?

Forum Links
Forum Rules