Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Editing DVD's

Editing DVD's
Douglashh
Mac Enthusiast
May 26, 2005, 06:07 PM

I want to edit the DVD's that I make using my home DVD recorder. I want to record movies off cable TV and then edit out the commercials. Can I do this? I'm guessing I'll have to transfer the recorded DVD to my HardDrive and then us iDVD to edit out the commercials. Do I need other software in addition or in place of iLife Apps?

If there is tutorial on this somewhere please point me in the direction. I'm a total newbie to this DVD stuff.

Thanks,

Doug

k_munic
Mac Enthusiast
May 27, 2005, 03:14 AM

Hi Dough,

get for 20$ the mpeg2 playback component at Apple's website.
and get for free mpeg2streamclip from here: http://www.alfanet.it/squared5/mpegstreamclip.html

check the "2Gb segmented box", to get the dv streams into iM.

don't expect wonders in quality - you convert 2x.
I own a Pioneer 520 hd tuner/recorder, I do the editing internal on that machineā€¦ much easierā€¦

cnelson87
Forum Regular
May 27, 2005, 06:53 PM

get MPEG Streamclip as already suggested. you can edit out out the commercials in MPEG Streamclip, no need to export to DV unless you want frame accurate editing, but that will mean hours of re-encoding and a loss of quality as a result. MPEG Streamclip can edit on the I-frames, about 2 I-frames every second, which is fine for cutting commercials. ffmpegX or sizzle, both freeware, will author a DVD. Toast, not free but worth every penny, will author and burn.

FishNrib
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2005, 12:26 PM

Doug,
Can you play your recorded DVD-R TV shows on your Mac without copying it to your hard drive? I can't play mine. It only plays bought DVD's. Haven't tried to load it to the hard drive to try and view it yet. I want to edit some home movies I have recorded to DVD-R and edit them on my iMac G-5 in iMovie.
First time Mac user iMAC G5 17" SuperDrive

Previous Windows 95-XP user

brother337
Forum Regular
Oct 4, 2005, 06:31 AM

Gonna check out that mpegstreamclip myself, now that I know about it.

However, I've been using YADE (Yet Another DVD Extractor) to extract VOB files from my DVDs and FFMPEGX to convert them to DV.
15" MacBook Pro Core2Duo 2.33
160gig PMR HD / 2 GB RAM

Forum Links
Forum Rules