Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook Pro Keeps Waking Up While in the Bag

Macbook Pro Keeps Waking Up While in the Bag
cold aspiration
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2006, 02:32 PM

I have a problem with my MBP 17" waking up while in the bag I am carrying and just idle away until the system freezes due to overheating, wasting half the battery at the same time. This always seems to happen when I carry it in my incase sleeve inside my timbuk2 messenger bag. It never happens if I carry my incase sleeve separately. What could be the problem? I have no issue with carrying it separately all the time but sometimes (like during the frequent rainstorms) I have to have the case inside something waterproof.

My guess is that the computer experiences a lot more movement while on my back in the timbuk2 that either the weak little latch pops open and then closed. Or even more likely, the motion sensor in the MBP someone is activated and the computer wakes up due to that.

Any suggestions? I already tried zapping the PRAM and PMU.

ibook_steve
Nov 13, 2006, 02:40 PM

The motion sensor has absolutely nothing to do with wake/sleep. Can you confirm that the lid is actually opening because the latches are releasing?

Steve

bjoern2x
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2006, 03:55 PM

I'm so so tired of my 15" to wake up under transport too.. I have talked to Apple,and i will maybe get the brand new one in a replacement, but i do got to pay some money tho,but thats ok for me.. Better to have a 2.16Ghz with 6 x dualdvd

I hope that Apple will fix the problems with the case too.. My mac is now bent, after only 2 months of easy caring.. Not good..

Take care all MAClovers out there.. Be strong!!

cold aspiration  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2006, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
The motion sensor has absolutely nothing to do with wake/sleep. Can you confirm that the lid is actually opening because the latches are releasing?

Steve
No I can't confirm that is actually happening, it is just a guess ... I 'm just sad when I open my bag to find a steaming hot MBP with the fan going crazy.

Originally Posted by bjoern2x View Post
I'm so so tired of my 15" to wake up under transport too.. I have talked to Apple,and i will maybe get the brand new one in a replacement, but i do got to pay some money tho,but thats ok for me.. Better to have a 2.16Ghz with 6 x dualdvd

I hope that Apple will fix the problems with the case too.. My mac is now bent, after only 2 months of easy caring.. Not good..

Take care all MAClovers out there.. Be strong!!
I wish I had the time to do that too but I reallly need mine every day for schoolwork. Otherwise, I would wrestle with apple too.

nate_02
Senior User
Nov 13, 2006, 11:04 PM

I used to have that problem and found that the latch release button was really sensitive. It would just open up as I was walking around with it outside of the case as well as inside. Since it was repaired, I've had no problem.
-nate

ChrisF
Senior User
Nov 13, 2006, 11:19 PM

You can set the MBP to not wake when opening the lid... same deal as on Powerbooks.
In Terminal, type the following:
sudo pmset -a lidwake 0

Then press return and enter your password as prompted. The computer will then only wake when you press a key.

quattrokid73
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 14, 2006, 02:24 AM

im going to see what the genius's have to say about this issue because i cant get it to go away and if they will replace, then why not?
MBP 2.4, 2gb, 8600GT, 120gb 7200rpm; white iPhone 3G

Thunderbird
Senior User
Nov 14, 2006, 10:20 AM

I used to have this problem on my 15" Powerbook. It would happen if I put the computer in the bag with the latch facing down. Simple fix for me - I don't do that any more. Latch faces up when it goes in the bag, and no problems.

kylemacr
Nov 14, 2006, 10:30 AM

Make sure there are no bluetooth devices around. This happened to me also. If you do have bluetooth devices around, go to System Preferences --> Bluetooth and uncheck the "Allow Bluetooth Devices to Wake this Computer" box.

quattrokid73
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 14, 2006, 11:48 AM

i just unchecked that and 'wake for administrator ethernet access', that should probably help too, especially with wireless hotspots so frequent on campus. i also just got the macbook pro EFI update. i checked for new updates yesterday and didnt get that one, and RIGHT after i made my post three replies up, i checked and it was there. what timing.

ChrisF
Senior User
Nov 14, 2006, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by quattrokid73 View Post
i just unchecked that and 'wake for administrator ethernet access', that should probably help too, especially with wireless hotspots so frequent on campus.
That option affects exactly what it says it does: ethernet. Definitely not the cause of your problem.

cold aspiration  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 20, 2006, 05:06 PM

Well I already had ethernet unchecked as well as the wake for bluetooth devices. I thought that the EFI firmware update would fix the problem but haven't tested it out yet. I think I will try the latch up suggestion as I always have the latch facing down in my incase. I just feel uneasy pulling out my laptop by holding on the latch. During these moments, I think a sliding hand under the laptop would work better.

I'll report to see if having the EFI update helped. Thanks for all the replies.

Originally Posted by Thunderbird View Post
I used to have this problem on my 15" Powerbook. It would happen if I put the computer in the bag with the latch facing down. Simple fix for me - I don't do that any more. Latch faces up when it goes in the bag, and no problems.
How were you able to discover that the problem with the computer was just facing down?

Thunderbird
Senior User
Nov 20, 2006, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by cold aspiration View Post
How were you able to discover that the problem with the computer was just facing down?
Trial and error. When I first bought the PB, I would put it in the bag latch up. Had no problems. A few weeks later, I started putting it in latch down, and that's when my problems started. I suspect that pressure on the latch was causing my PB to open just slightly, and the 'puter would stay on until the battery was drained. It happened a lot.

I changed my habit and flipped the 'puter around so the latch would always face up. Since then the PB sleeps comfortably in it's bag.

quattrokid73
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 20, 2006, 09:43 PM

my mother-freaking sleep issues are connected to my permissions....i repair them, the thng sleeps for a few days, the permisions become corrupt again, and it stops sleeping...so basically if i want it to sleep i must repair permissions every other day.

Forum Links
Forum Rules