Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Borderlands 2

Borderlands 2 (Page 7)
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 3, 2012, 07:13 AM

Thanks to forgetting to turn off my alarm for work I ended up nabbing all 10 keys this weekend. Spent two, gonna burn the rest slowly.

---

With sek's installation of DayZ and subsequent snub of us Saturday night, I have to assume our days on Pandora are on hiatus for the time being. Which is fine as aside from a few interesting mission sets and the unfinished Torgue DLC< there was not much driving the game.

Legenderies/loot – this is what's supposed to drive the post-boss game. Saturday I dropped into another lobby where the host had made a giant pile of pinks, purples, magentas, and oranges for visitors to plunder (which I did). Again yesterday I found another lobby with CC of all elementals to choose from. This allows me to transition to a post-mortem of loot system.

It's terrible. Perhaps I don't have a proper appreciation of loot based games but I'll give a detailed breakdown of why I see it as a failure. Post-Warrior your only impetus to continue playing is clearing up straggling missions and upgrading your equipment. This can be a little hairy, however, as the entire game levels itself to match you, making what used to be challenging but simple tasks somewhat to clearly cruel.

The remedy is to seek out some of the best weapons in the game, but acquiring them appears to be less about luck or strategy and more about brute force playing. The second irony is with everything having leveled to match you, farming bosses is nigh-impossible solo, and quite demanding as a group. Death will happen.

As we found out when I "acquired" a Bee shield, suddenly the game becomes more manageable when one player can inflict serious damage at the cost of being easily dropped. This illustrated a frustrating catch-22 where the best way to farm was to already posses one of the legendary items you're trying to farm. But the Bee is the best case scenario – the burden of farming would be easier with better weapons, too, without seeming cheap.

Instead of focused farming (specific bosses) you could do Warrior runs, as he is not too challenging (time consuming) and drops reliably good loot. The problem being you can only farm him once before you either have to move on or reload your save which is an utterly artificial mechanic. Terramorphous can be farmed infinitely within the game mechanics, but his health and deadliness are so high that attempting to without already possessing the Bee is masochistic.

Here's a run down of the Legendaries I found legit – Two baby makers, under-leveld from PT1 and early PT2 using over-leveled characters. One grenade-mod as item of the day. One level 50 longbow from the Badass Creeper which turned out to be utterly useless (no scope).And another unidentified legendary that the Warrior dropped but no one could reach. One conference call, from the Warrior. One Legendary class mod from a machine. That's it, I believe, after two weeks of semi-focused farming. Does that seem like a good drop rate?

Further, during that time Terra was farmed probably 50x times and dropped zero non class mod legendaries. Even his non-grenade mod purples were of some rarity. Maybe a handful of non-pistol magentas.

This is not fun. This is not interesting. I realize there's nothing rewarding in getting everything you want easily, but the act of getting a legendary doesn't guarantee that it will be either useful or wanted. When chances of getting some are so low, nothing is less fulfilling then getting one to drop that is utterly useless.

With that in mind, I have to say the duping community has almost negated Gearboxes mistakes. Now I roam lobbies (looking to farm bosses legit), searching for generous players like one looks for good loot from bosses. The chances of finding a duper are low (though not as low as a legendary drop) and when they do spew their inventory onto the ground you may not necessarily get what you want (random factor). Not to mention you may be racing against other lobby members in plundering the loot.

I think it's a fact that if it weren't for this illegitimate play, we'd all have probably slowed or stopped playing much earlier than now. We might not have even tried to do the DLC. That's kind of messed up.

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2012, 11:21 AM

I'm cool with putting this game on hiatus for a while. All this farming is getting a bit boring. I'll finish up some challenges and achievements on play through 1 before I move on to Halo 4 and NFS: Most Wanted.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 3, 2012, 11:39 AM

I was thinking it'd be cool if we could meet once a week to bang out some side missions (we haven't done much more than the main story line of Torgue) and farm the Warrior and Terra a 'lil. sek?

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Dec 3, 2012, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
...and NFS: Most Wanted.
Oh really...

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2012, 12:41 PM

Ha! I would love to hook up for some NFS multiplayer achievements but you're never on when I am.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 3, 2012, 12:43 PM

Ha! I would love to hook up for some NFS multiplayer achievements but you're never on
fixed

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 5, 2012, 12:26 PM

How the hell is this possible?

Rumor
Dec 5, 2012, 04:07 PM

How do you take screen shots?
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2012, 05:53 PM

That last snapshot Dakar posted is from the PC version. (There is no E button on a console controller.) For those of us on the 360 we've just been using our cellphones to take snapshots.

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2012, 05:57 PM

Holla!

WTWBJ-HKZ5H-XHFTF-WX3JJ-6HRS6

gradient
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2012, 07:26 PM

Damn, I miss this game. Been trying to fill the void with Dishonored, but it's boring as hell by comparison.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 6, 2012, 05:49 AM

Someone posted like a million codes on NeoGAF. I guess I'll see if they're live tonight.

X360: C3WJB-CCJ3R-69FBR-WRBBB-HFSKC

X360: CBK33-RWT3R-6SFTR-WXJBJ-9ZFHC

60: WTWBJ-HKZ5H-XHFTF-WX3JJ-6HRS6

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2012, 11:50 PM

AN EXPLOSION of Shift codes tonight thanks to the VGA results. (Codes will be active though the whole weekend.)

Xbox 360: CBWTT-SBFSK-35WKT-HB5TT-RRRHH
Xbox360: WTWTJ-ZRHCZ-RZXJ6-5XJJB-ZKKH3
Xbox 360: CJ53B-66ZC9-RZR3X-5XJB3-JHC5T
Xbox 360: KJCBB-CXSWH-6ZXT6-WXTBJ-RSHHZ
Xbox 360: CT5TB-B6HWS-XSR3F-KR3BB-H6B6R

Rumor
Dec 8, 2012, 08:01 AM

Does that include the ones from Twitter?

gradient
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2012, 11:48 AM

Pffff, screw the VGA. How a game that's this broken wins anything, I don't know. It's great, when it works, but for a lot of people it doesn't work at all. It's too bad that the gaming sites refuse to report on this. Gearbox should be ashamed right now, not celebrating a victory. I've gotten nothing but circular BS talk from their support and their patch that has been needed by many for over two months is nowhere to be seen (supposedly held up by Microsoft certification).

And now they put out a new batch of shift codes that those affected still can't use, which is a bit of a slap in the face considering that they've been nothing but evasive when asked if they will be offering something to us to try to make up for this problem.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 8, 2012, 11:49 AM

Holy codes batman!

Looks like I'm going to have to begrudgingly sign on and pull the chest until I finally get something good.

I vote for a mass chest opening where all three of us burn through all the keys.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 8, 2012, 12:06 PM

We should get together tonight.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 8, 2012, 12:16 PM

Indeed, can't guarantee it'll be early, but I'll tear myself away from DayZ for a few minutes.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 8, 2012, 01:52 PM

Few minutes? I'm talkin' doing some missions, man.

Rumor
Dec 8, 2012, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by gradient View Post
Pffff, screw the VGA. How a game that's this broken wins anything, I don't know. It's great, when it works, but for a lot of people it doesn't work at all. It's too bad that the gaming sites refuse to report on this. Gearbox should be ashamed right now, not celebrating a victory. I've gotten nothing but circular BS talk from their support and their patch that has been needed by many for over two months is nowhere to be seen (supposedly held up by Microsoft certification).
And now they put out a new batch of shift codes that those affected still can't use, which is a bit of a slap in the face considering that they've been nothing but evasive when asked if they will be offering something to us to try to make up for this problem.
What problems? There was the hardcore issue due to people hacking their consoles. What else is/was there?

Rumor
Dec 8, 2012, 04:53 PM

I know I haven't been on as much as the first one but I did finally finish play through one today.

gradient
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2012, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
What problems? There was the hardcore issue due to people hacking their consoles. What else is/was there?
http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/forumdisplay.php?f=161

It's the top sticky.

231 pages and counting of user reports on freezing in this game. Hundreds of people reporting the issue, which will only be a fraction of the affected user base as most people (myself included) don't bother to post.

This isn't a hacking issue - corruption is happening in XBL profiles due to mystery circumstances (or at least Gearbox hasn't explained to anyone what is causing the problem).

There is definitely something seriously broken. I myself haven't been able to play the game in just over 2 weeks since the freezing started for me. So GOTY? No chance.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 8, 2012, 07:10 PM

I think XBOX Live is taking a shit. Didn't see fatty log on, it won't let me reply to his message, and when I try to start a party it says I don't have Live Gold.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 8, 2012, 10:36 PM

Sounds like a lot of f'n bitchin' to me! /I'm f'n drunkz!

Rumor
Dec 9, 2012, 05:44 PM

BL2 has froze once on me (so happens to have been tonight) but it seems to be most games and very infrequently.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 10, 2012, 06:44 AM

So my midweek codes were still live, so sek and I redeemed 8 codes and then ran the train on the golden chest netting us one good hyperion plasma caster and a nade mod. That's all I can remember.

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2012, 11:11 AM

I still have 11 golden keys to turn in. Maybe I should hold on to them until after they increase the level cap.

Rumor
Dec 10, 2012, 07:18 PM

Not a bad idea.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 11, 2012, 06:13 AM

I'm sure they'll be giving away more keys between then and now. especially since I suspect this will be tumbling down the Live Activity chart.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2012, 11:53 AM

Has anyone played the Mac port? Worth picking up? I have no interest in console anything.

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 13, 2012, 01:19 PM

The update has finally arrived for the 360. Details on what it includes can be found here.

http://support.gearboxsoftware.com/e...te-information

gradient
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2012, 02:59 PM

The update has finally arrived for the 360.  Details on what it includes can be found here.

http://support.gearboxsoftware.com/e...te-information
Reports on the Gearbox forums are decidedly mixed on whether or not this update is fixing peoples' freezing issues. Some issues seem to have been fixed, while others persist. I probably won't have a chance to try the update until the weekend. I've got my fingers crossed!

gradient
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2012, 06:47 PM

Well I decided to throw this in and run the update even though I won't have a chance to play in earnest tonight. So far things are looking up! I was able to get the game loaded for the first time since I got hit with the freezing bug and played just far enough to hit a save point and things are smooth. Looks like Gearbox threw in a bonus for me, too (maybe because of the two support tickets I filed about the problems I've had?), as I've got 8 extra golden keys and 135 extra unused badass points showing up. Excellent.

gradient
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2012, 08:21 PM

Ah, on closer inspection, looks like my badass points were just reset. I guess that makes more sense. Still got some extra keys, I suppose that makes up for the ones I missed out on.

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2012, 03:51 PM

Another Shift code released was released today. This one is worth 5 golden keys.

xbox 360: W3KTJ-FZ9CS-XS6BR-K6JJ3-XCFXT

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 17, 2012, 04:39 PM

Awwwww yeah.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 17, 2012, 06:13 PM

Logging on shortly if anyone wants to join.

gradient
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2012, 08:46 PM

Another Shift code released was released today.  This one is worth 5 golden keys.

xbox 360: W3KTJ-FZ9CS-XS6BR-K6JJ3-XCFXT
Huh, it only gave me one.

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2012, 10:34 PM

Yeah, that shift code seems to be buggy. The facebook page has people reporting anywhere between 1 to 15 keys. I was one of the lucky ones and got 15 keys.

My grand total was up to 26 before using 8 of them tonight. Got a bunch of crappy grenades and rocket launchers.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 18, 2012, 08:00 AM

I only got 5. No biggie. I do enjoy the "Let's play when they give free keys out" aspect.

Typical overnerf by Gearbox. Still, had a good time doing the Hyperion Circle of Slaughter last night. Still amazed we had no deaths with everything leveled to 50 or higher.

Also, slag + corrosive is godly.

Rumor
Jan 1, 2013, 11:55 AM

I finally got my Mechromancer to a high enough level to play with you guys and I haven't seen anyone around.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 1, 2013, 12:44 PM

New Year's day shift code...

Xbox 360 SHiFT Code: C3CT3-TTBF9-RH6JF-WF3T3-XR3T9

Rumor
Jan 14, 2013, 02:57 PM

@GearboxSoftware: Xbox 360 SHiFT Code for a Golden Key In Borderlands 2: CB53J-FZFSC-9Z6JF-WRBTB-B5S5S [Active through January 20]

There is one on FB as well. Can't C&P it but will post later.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 16, 2013, 12:03 AM

Good day, jolly ole chaps! Come download Sir Hammerlock's Big Game Hunt!

Pure Awesomeness!

As soon as my bro supplies me with a DLC code, I'm gettin' on!

Rumor
Jan 19, 2013, 04:04 PM

Rumor
Jan 19, 2013, 04:05 PM

@GearboxSoftware: Xbox 360 SHiFT Code for a Golden Key in Borderlands 2: KBCTT-TSFZC-HSXBX-WFTTT-KWK5T [Active through January 21]

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2013, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post

How the hell is this possible?
A save hack. You can also do you skill tree to have all the skills.

Rumor
Feb 1, 2013, 03:23 PM

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2013, 06:52 PM

Nice. This new code should bring me up to 31 golden keys.

Rumor
Feb 8, 2013, 02:36 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules