Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > "This accessory may not be supported."

"This accessory may not be supported."
Stuncle Eve
Forum Regular
Jan 26, 2016, 04:03 PM

That's the message I've been getting lately anytime I plug my iPhone 5 (9.0.2) in for charging. Charging won'y start until I reboot the phone, and even then it only goes to about 95% before the message shows up again.

Has anyone else had this happen?

Thanks.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jan 26, 2016, 04:21 PM

Dock or cable connection?

Stuncle Eve  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 26, 2016, 05:07 PM

Cable to USB 110V adaptor.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jan 26, 2016, 05:24 PM

Got any known-good fresh cables on hand? Apple USB adapter? I've seen the error when the cable insulation inside the bundle gets a little frayed, and connections get short-circuited.

Stuncle Eve  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 26, 2016, 07:52 PM

I don't have either, I'll have to see what I can turn up from the neighbours. I did have a close look at the phone end of the cable & it seemed pretty grotty, so I cleaned it up with some isopropanol, I'll see if it makes any difference.

andi*pandi
Jan 28, 2016, 01:29 PM

I got that with an offbrand ipad charge cable. I unplugged and plugged back in and it was fine. I did flip it over though, which shouldn't matter for a lightning cable...

Stuncle Eve  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 28, 2016, 01:47 PM

Actually, what seems to have worked so far is a good cleaning of the phone end - I haven't had a chance to test it thoroughly, but as they say, preliminary results are encouraging!

mindwaves
Feb 9, 2016, 07:43 AM

I got that message when using unofficial cables (which are a lot cheaper and just as good), but when they started not to charge my phone, I stuck to official Apple cables only, which still, occasionally, gives me that message.

Stuncle Eve  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 10, 2016, 02:10 PM

I'm happy to report that after cleaning the phone end of the cable, all charging problems have disappeared.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 12, 2016, 01:29 PM

Last time I took my phone out of its case (which covers only the sides and back), I was somewhat disgusted at the amount of crud that collected between the two just because the phone sits in my pocket most of the time. I'm not surprised that stuff collected on your cable - but I'll bet it wasn't because you fondled the cable and used it to spread jam on your toast. I still haven't found a tool that fits well enough in a Lightning socket, and is sturdy enough to really clean even the entry of the connector, but I'm still looking...

I'll consider your experience a "cautionary tale" and pay more attention to cleaning my phone on a more regular basis.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules