Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Just missed out on the greatest deal ever.

Just missed out on the greatest deal ever.
Fellow2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 9, 2003, 06:31 PM

I responded to an add I found in my local paper and was shocked to find out that it was true. A small financial consulting company based out of Toronto Ontario has a company policy of upgrading their computers every so often. I guess this year they were planning on getting G5's but after they found out they would need all new software, they decided to get some other machines. I belive they were called GI's or something of that nature. Anyway, they are given a certain budget for their upgrades and they went over about $5000 so they decided to sell the old machines.

Dual 1.2 proc G4's with 2g ram and 320g hard drives along with apple 17" cinema displays. The computers are a year old with 2 years apple care left on them. Anyway, the price...... $1000 US. Can you believe that? Unfortunately I am in Seattle Washington and could not find anyone in Toronto fast enough to go get one for me. I did not feel very comfortable just sending them money and just hoping that I would get one. So I was going to have my friend in Toronto go take a look but they were closed by the time he got there.

They started out with 6 this morning, and when I called around noon, they only had 2 left, so I imagine that these are also gone now. I really can't believe I missed out on that. Darn.... I am going to go back to crying now.

HamSandwich
Aug 9, 2003, 07:00 PM

You really shouldn't cry. It's like this was an awesome computer or so, just get any new G5 for a few more bucks now and you'll be quite a happy camper, I'd say...

Ingmar

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2003, 08:30 PM

I'd be crying. Cause he could have resold that on ebay to get the G5.

urban
Forum Regular
Aug 9, 2003, 08:45 PM

what's the telephone number?????
i live in toronto and i want a mac

Fellow2000  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 9, 2003, 09:18 PM

Lol, what do you mean just a few more bucks for a G5, are you kidding, this whole setup was for $1000.

You are right about the eBay thing, that is exactly what I wanted to do. I already am getting a 12" powerbook so I thought that I would just sell this and get a bigger monitor or something. Doesn't matter what I spend it on, I still would have bought all 6 if I would have had the opportunity. All that for $1000 is a once in a lifetime investment opportunity.

I'm sorry, I won't give out the number until I am sure that I have no chance at still getting one. There still might be a chance for me. I am going to call tommorow and see if they have any left.

You gotta admit though guys, that was one sweet deal. *sigh*

urban
Forum Regular
Aug 9, 2003, 09:34 PM

Originally posted by Fellow2000:
Lol, what do you mean just a few more bucks for a G5, are you kidding, this whole setup was for $1000.

You are right about the eBay thing, that is exactly what I wanted to do. I already am getting a 12" powerbook so I thought that I would just sell this and get a bigger monitor or something. Doesn't matter what I spend it on, I still would have bought all 6 if I would have had the opportunity. All that for $1000 is a once in a lifetime investment opportunity.

I'm sorry, I won't give out the number until I am sure that I have no chance at still getting one. There still might be a chance for me. I am going to call tommorow and see if they have any left.

You gotta admit though guys, that was one sweet deal. *sigh*
Will you PM me if they do still have the macs and have more than one??

I am buying a mac for school, thank you.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2003, 11:57 AM

They need all new software for the g5's?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Fellow2000  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2003, 01:18 PM

they said that the current application that they use will no longer work with the G5s. Then I told him that stuff was still compatible and he said that no it wasn't. So who know, it doesn't sounds like they know too much about computers.

soul searching
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2003, 05:21 PM

they said that the current application that they use will no longer work with the G5s. Then I told him that stuff was still compatible and he said that no it wasn't. So who know, it doesn't sounds like they know too much about computers.
Proprietary software maybe?

That much for $1,000? Amazing...

PixelPete17
Aug 10, 2003, 09:05 PM

this post is a scam...

do NOT reply via PM and send anyone in CANADA your money guys.

Come on now...this guy is a little more clever than others by not listing the phone number first and being obvious, but HE IS scamming y'all by creating interestt, letting you come to him, and THEN getting your money...

I've worked for big corporations...they don't give away anything believe me, especially in a down economy when every dollar is being examined.

hope this helps somebody,

Pixel Pete

bleuvixen
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 10, 2003, 10:21 PM

Yep, Ive seen this before on a PC board, almost the same setup but with digital camcorders...

$1000 for Dual G4's with 2GB Ram and 320GB HDs? Plus a 17"... right

Conscript
Aug 10, 2003, 10:39 PM

i think the giveaway is that he has 4 total posts and three of them in this thread. Just decided to join to tell all of us about this "great deal"...riiiight. Common sense fellas.
iBook G3 800 MHz/640mb RAM/30 GB HD/CDROM/Airport/12.1" LCD

Fellow2000  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 11, 2003, 01:53 AM

Man, you guys are harsh.

Yes, I did just join. I wanted to join a long time ago but my username that I normally use on forums was taken. I have been working for some time to try to get it but I can't seem to so I registered under my old username that I used to use. I am a member of neowin and hang out in the mac forum there every day. My name there is Fusion.

I'm really sorry you think this is a scam, but I don't get it. I didn't ask for anyone's money. It is not me that is selling it, it is the company. Now that I have no chance of getting one, I'll tell you about it. The name of the company is City Wide financial group. They are based out of Toronto, Ontario. Their phone number is 1-866-298-7897. Please, if you do not believe me, call this number and then get the front desk by pressing #1. Then ask for steve thomas. Then ask him if they really had these for this price.

Listen, I am really sorry that you thought this was a scam, but it is not. At least I don't think so. I was going to have my friend in Ontario drive their for me to check it out. They are at 55 King St West. Just because you didn't believe something was true, was not a reason to attack me personally. I never asked for any money, how could I be scamming you? I didn't post the phone number because I was still hoping to get one if they had some left today, which they did not.

I kinda feel like you guys owe me an apology for that. Geeze. I will be posting a lot more here, hopefully I can get my username too.

Anyway, before you call me a fraud, maybe you could PM me to research it first. I would never try to fraud or scam anyone.

Feel free to call the number and prove me wrong. If you would like my phone number to call me, just PM me and I would be more than happy.

To see the add that I responded to, go to www.nwclassifieds.com,then search for merchandise, then electronics. Computers will be the first thing that comes up, scroll down a bit till you see them.

bstone
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2003, 03:12 AM

Man, you guys are harsh.

Fellow-
Don't take it personally. Some people on this forum have a little too much time on their hands and want to take their hatred of the world out on you. I believe you and know you were just sharing your frustration.

Don't pay any attention to those trolls.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

slider
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2003, 04:50 AM

OS 9 maybe?

Taipan
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 11, 2003, 09:18 AM

Hi!

Actually, I bet the greatest deal you missed out on was this one a while back:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hree+feel+back

Conscript
Aug 11, 2003, 09:46 AM

Originally posted by Taipan:
Hi!

Actually, I bet the greatest deal you missed out on was this one a while back:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hree+feel+back
actually, I think he was having fun with everyone, and that the second poster was the same person.
iBook G3 800 MHz/640mb RAM/30 GB HD/CDROM/Airport/12.1" LCD

Fellow2000  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 11, 2003, 08:05 PM

I think you guys are right though, this might be a scam. I called again today, just to see if there was a chance. I talked to the same guy again but told him I was a different person. He said they still had 2 left. That was a little strange to me. Then he asked what paper I saw the add in. I told him the portland OR one even though I originally saw them in the Seattle WA paper. I know they ran the add in both papers though because I frequently check both classifieds online. Anyway, this time he asked me if I could just pick it up? He said I could just pick it up and pay for it in Portland. That is a little strange, because last time I talked to them, they said that they were in Toronto Ontario. But I figure, hey, it can't be a scam if I actually get to go there and pick it up and see it. Can it? So I gave him my phone number and he said someone would call me in half-hour. Never got a phone call. Now when you call the phone number, all you get is... hello, good evening, goodbye. It doesn't say the name of the company anymore or anything. That is a little funny to me. I will call them one more time tomorow but if I get the same message I know it was a scam. I feel sorry for all the people that actually sent them the money. But if they do have some left, I will go to portland and pick on up. I just can't miss out on something like that.

alpha rays max
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 11, 2003, 08:50 PM

That's not far from where I used to live in Toronto. If I'm not mistaken, 55 King St W is the one of the main Toronto Dominion (TD Canada Trust/TD Waterhouse) buildings. My Canadian chequing account is there and I've been in that building a few times. If I'm thinking of the right one at least. Wish I could find my account information...

What did the guy tell you the company name is? I don't know if they rent their tower out for office space to other companies or not, I'm not that familiar with it.

EDIT: You said it was a small financial consulting company... that wouldn't be too out of line considering it IS the TD tower (I just checked)... although as I said, I don't know if TD rents out their tower space. I wouldn't be too surprised. Of course, none of this means it's NOT a scam. Let us know.
( Last edited by alpha rays max; Aug 11, 2003 at 08:56 PM. )

Person Man
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2003, 10:51 PM

Originally posted by alpha rays max:
My Canadian chequing account is there and I've been in that building a few times. If I'm thinking of the right one at least. Wish I could find my account information...
If you can provide enough information to the bank to prove you are who you say you are, they'll let you access your account.

I recently emptied an old passbook savings account I had as a kid... all $32 worth! All I had to do was provide a photo ID, my social security number and the address I lived at when the account was established.

alpha rays max
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 11, 2003, 10:55 PM

Oh, I was just trying to find something with the corporate address on it, but since I moved back from Toronto I seem to have misplaced so many things. Ended up looking up my account balance online though: I have -$2.30 CDN in my accoun! (Yes, negative). Damn fees, haha. I need to put some money in there when I go back for a visit in September... don't feel like wiring myself money.

Originally posted by Person Man:
I recently emptied an old passbook savings account I had as a kid... all $32 worth! All I had to do was provide a photo ID, my social security number and the address I lived at when the account was established.

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Aug 12, 2003, 11:09 AM

I smell scam.

Lockinate requested.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

FauxCaster
Forum Regular
Aug 12, 2003, 05:12 PM

A financial analysis corporation doesn't want to get market value for its hardware? Hell, who would use them? What kind of consulting is it? How to lose money without trying?

Fellow2000  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 19, 2003, 02:56 AM

Well I am guesssing that this was real, but I never got in on it.

I called again and they said I could pick it up in Portland instead of Toronto, they didn't say anything about Toronto this time.

So then they took my number and said they would have someone call me. I missed both the calls. And when I tried the number on the caller ID it said it had been disconnected.

My guess is that these are stolen, and they are running through all the loops as to not get caught. Just a guess though. I can't figure why else they would do this.

It can't be a scam to get money if they are willing to have someone come pick it up. I mean through the mail is one thing, but picking it up is kinda hard to fake.

If I had to, I would put my money on the stollen factor. There is no way else to explain it. Why wouldn't they want to get the full value they could. Even if it is a corporation, makes no sense to me.

BTW, they said their name was city-wide financial. If that address checks out, let us know.

Forum Regular
Aug 19, 2003, 07:45 AM

What about someone pulling a gun on you when you turn up with $1000 cash in your pocket. Answering ad's like this and collecting in person is fraught with danger, I know from first hand experience.

Years ago, two young lads pulled a gun on me with my wife and children in car! when I went to collect four Macintosh LC2's (they were current machines at the time), another friend was threatened at knife point and forced to give his money when he answered a free ad.

Tread carefully, anything that looks too good to be true usually is.

Forum Links
Forum Rules