Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > What is wrong with Font Book?

What is wrong with Font Book?
Fellow2000
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2004, 05:53 AM

In reading through the myriad of threads on the announcement of Tiger, a recurring theme is that everyone wants a better font book. Whether they want more features or for it to just be 'fixed' depends on the individual, but almost everyone has some problem with it.

I am a web designer by trade, so most screen fonts I deal with, I know off hand. As far as doing actual graphics work in photoshop, I have found font book to be great. I can store them by category when I download them. It removes the font off my desktop once it is installed and it lets me preview each font. It basically does exactly what its name markets. It is a book where I can view all my fonts and organize them.

This app is less than a year old, so I have not used it much, but I am just wondering what everyone's problem is with it. Please be specific and identify each problem/bug/lack of feature that you see and maybe a possible solution that another application already has?

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2004, 08:19 AM

It's not so much that people have problems with it... but it lacks many features.

It's not designed to handle serious amounts of fonts. It can do it, but it's sluggish.

Also, it doesn't dynamically load fonts. The fonts are either always on or always off. Not a big deal when you only have 50-200 fonts, but when you have to deal with 2000+ fonts, it starts to suck.

There is no "discover corrupted fonts" feature.

etc. etc. etc.

Again, it depends upon what type of design you do.

-Q-
May 5, 2004, 10:10 AM

For a consumer application, which it is, I think it's fine. As I can't use it for my professional work, I use a professional app. Not sure why others don't do the same.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2004, 11:08 AM

Originally posted by -Q-:
For a consumer application, which it is, I think it's fine. As I can't use it for my professional work, I use a professional app. Not sure why others don't do the same.
I see where you are coming from, but it's like saying, Safari is a consumer app, but for professional work, I should use Safari Extreme.

I think the OS should have pro level font management built in.

Forum Links
Forum Rules