Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > good source/text editor

good source/text editor
Goober
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 14, 2006, 11:39 AM

Howdy, I just got my first mac today and so far im having a great time with it (1.8 ghz macbook + 2gigs of ram + 120 hdd) but i need a suggestion for a new source/text editor for some programming. Previously I used Crimson Editor on my windows box. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Moose
Senior User
Aug 14, 2006, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Goober
Howdy, I just got my first mac today and so far im having a great time with it (1.8 ghz macbook + 2gigs of ram + 120 hdd) but i need a suggestion for a new source/text editor for some programming. Previously I used Crimson Editor on my windows box. Any suggestions would be helpful.
TextWrangler.

NeXTLoop
Senior User
Aug 14, 2006, 01:23 PM

Another outstanding option is TextMate. It has built-in support for a variety of programming languages, and has a very good interface.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works." - Steve Jobs

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2006, 01:34 PM

smultron. It has a list of documents on the left hand side of the window and it's free.

The new version *really* needs some new icons.

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 14, 2006, 01:44 PM

I'd pick Smultron too.
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

jkwuc89
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2006, 11:59 AM

Ordinarily, I would not hesitate to recommend SlickEdit but the OS X version does not integrate well with OS X . Part of the problem is that uses the optional X11 subsystem and not Cocoa or Carbon for its GUI. The most noticeable side effects of this are fonts are not anti-aliased and the menu bar is not along the top of the OS X desktop.

I certainly hope that SlickEdit becomes a true OS X app because on Windows and on Linux, it has become a vital tool in my software/website development arsenal.

jmgriff
Aug 16, 2006, 01:18 PM

I'm currently using TextMate, and it is as good as everyone says it is. Certainly worth paying for if you use a text editor regularly.

But if you'd like another free option,you could try Aquamacs Emacs. It's still emacs, but behaves much more like an OS X application. If you're more Vim then emacs, try www.macvim.org

OreoCookie
Aug 16, 2006, 01:30 PM

TextMate, it's great. I use it for larger LaTeX projects and a little web programming.

Another suggestion is SubEthaEdit, although I haven't had too much first-hand experience with it (because I met TextMate).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 16, 2006, 04:55 PM

Textmate makes any other text editor on any other platform look absolutely pathetic.

OreoCookie
Aug 16, 2006, 05:36 PM

Yup, it has sped up my workflow considerably and decreased the number of errors in LaTeX constructs (I often have to edit formulas that span 20+ lines) a lot. It's very stable (hasn't crashed in ages on me) and fast, well worth its money.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules