Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Post A Pic Of What You Look Like RIGHT NOW: ALSO, CHURCH ARCHITECTURE

Post A Pic Of What You Look Like RIGHT NOW: ALSO, CHURCH ARCHITECTURE (Page 9)
subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 29, 2017, 11:38 PM

Don’t get me wrong, I like imposing architecture, and old school churches are gorgeous. This is the church next to my grade school.

However, compared to Jawbone’s setup, it’s rather worldly.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 30, 2017, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Black Baptist churches have a lot in common with Pentecostal churches. Interaction during service is not only permissible but highly encouraged. Upbeat music, elements of spontaneity, etc.
I assumed this was the case, and I feel the way your place is designed reflects that.

It’s just the vessel, if you know what I’m saying.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Dec 30, 2017, 02:46 PM

I've always been jealous of some of those buildings. Europe's architecture as a hole has that effect on me.

A friend of mine in Liverpool told me a lot of vacant UK churches are being converted into pubs. That true?
I've not been there in 10 years but it wouldn't surprise me. There is a lot of churches there and many were empty back then. I don't know if you recognised it or it was just a coincidence but that pic was the Anglican Cathedral in Liverpool.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 31, 2017, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
As someone who was raised in a Black Baptist Church I approve of this observation. The experience is essentially a syncretism of Western theology and ancient African spirituality.

OAW
Yep, yep, yep.

Pentecostalism was really brought into prominence by William Seymour, and Oneness Pentecostalism in particular touts G.T. Haywood as one of its most influential fathers. Whites are actually the least-represented ethnic group in the Oneness Pentecostal movement.

As one of the first multi-racial church gatherings in North America, Pentecostalism became this amalgamation of traditional black and white church cultures — so much so that my white grandfather pastored a church for nearly 25 years that was about 95% black, in central Texas, of all places.

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I assumed this was the case, and I feel the way your place is designed reflects that.

It’s just the vessel, if you know what I’m saying.
Oh, no, brother...YOU are the vessel! Can I get a witness?

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
I've not been there in 10 years but it wouldn't surprise me. There is a lot of churches there and many were empty back then. I don't know if you recognised it or it was just a coincidence but that pic was the Anglican Cathedral in Liverpool.
Just thought it was Anglican. Didn't know for sure.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 2, 2018, 03:31 PM

This vessel looks like crap!

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 2, 2018, 04:44 PM

Black Baptist churches have a lot in common with Pentecostal churches. Interaction during service is not only permissible but highly encouraged.
Me, as an attendee of a Lutheran church, when someone speaks up during the sermon:

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2018, 05:01 AM

A friend of mine in Liverpool told me a lot of vacant UK churches are being converted into pubs. That true?
Don't know about Liverpool specifically, but pubs are closing at an alarming rate in the UK, and have been for years, so it would seem unusual that any significant number of old churches are being turned into pubs. However, lots do get converted to homes. As do lots of closed pubs.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2018, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
I've never been in a church that modern. Most of ours are centuries old.

This one wasn't finished until the 70s, but it took like 100 years to build so it looks older.
The only 'church' I ever attend is annoyingly modern.

My kids sing in the choir- acoustics are nice, but the architecture is painfully bland.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 4, 2018, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Me, as an attendee of a Lutheran church, when someone speaks up during the sermon:
Haaahaha

Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
Don't know about Liverpool specifically, but pubs are closing at an alarming rate in the UK, and have been for years, so it would seem unusual that any significant number of old churches are being turned into pubs. However, lots do get converted to homes. As do lots of closed pubs.
Now you have me trying to find old churches that have been turned into homes...

[EDIT] Added this one. It's...a little awkward...

The only 'church' I ever attend is annoyingly modern.

My kids sing in the choir- acoustics are nice, but the architecture is painfully bland.
That design needs to be added to the official list of abominations.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 4, 2018, 03:54 PM

Now you have me trying to find old churches that have been turned into homes...
I'd love something like that - so much space and a blank slate to create what you want.

Our church building used to be a car dealership.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2018, 04:36 PM

That design needs to be added to the official list of abominations.
To come a bit to the defence of the chapel design, although it's not obvious from the photo it is designed to resemble a ship, and it's a national maritime monument. The stained glass window in the back is evocative of the sea.

And the acoustics are great.

But, yeah, I hate it.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 4, 2018, 06:52 PM

I was going to say it must have some nifty acoustics.

The real abomination are those grilles.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 4, 2018, 10:23 PM

This place is a couple of miles from me.

I skipped the overlong series intro for you:

I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 5, 2018, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Our church building used to be a car dealership.

Jesus saves...

You the most cash on our 2018 models!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 5, 2018, 03:18 PM

To come a bit to the defence of the chapel design, although it's not obvious from the photo it is designed to resemble a ship, and it's a national maritime monument. The stained glass window in the back is evocative of the sea.

And the acoustics are great.

But, yeah, I hate it.
Ahhhhh. That makes a bit more sense. I can see it now.

I never object to great acoustics. They make all the difference in the world.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2018, 05:28 PM

It’s 60°.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2018, 12:22 AM

Now it’s 25°, with 15° windchill.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 12, 2018, 12:30 PM

I got to visit the Air Force Academy Chapel a few years ago.

It's supposed to evoke both a classic steeple image and wings. It's made of aluminum (on the outside, anyway), and this gives the building some interesting sound qualities. Not the least of which are the way it sounds when the wind blows pretty hard, or the way the outside creaks when it heats up in the sun.

I attended a Christmas service for one of the smaller denominational congregations. It was in a very small room in the basement, essentially the kind of room I associated with the grade school Bible Study classes I attended as a child. The architecture of that small room didn't have any negative impact on the service. Congregations make churches (ask the late Sam Kineion). But just going into such a wonderfully designed building was breathtaking by itself.

In contrast, the St. Louis Cathedral in the French Quarter of New Orleans, which is a beautiful building and a great example of Renaissance and Spanish Colonial architecture, has an almost mystical air when you step inside. It's a totally different feeling from the Air Force Academy Chapel.

What do I look like right now? Like I'm no longer feeling I'm on death's door. I had something (not the flu) that ran me over, stomped on me, kicked me in the head, and then laughed at my sorry state. The diagnosis was "viral syndrome" but that sounds a lot better than "influenza A", in part because it didn't even get close to killing me.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2018, 01:54 PM

The inside of the Air Force chapel looks like it should be at Starfleet Academy.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2018, 02:09 PM

It looks like a monument to some Eastern European autocratic dictator. For some reason, it exudes…not quite "violence", but a brutality that is the complete and utter opposite of the serenity, protection and "secureness" that a House of God should instil, IMHO.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2018, 02:15 PM

I certainly get that feeling from the outside.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 12, 2018, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
It looks like a monument to some Eastern European autocratic dictator. For some reason, it exudes…not quite "violence", but a brutality that is the complete and utter opposite of the serenity, protection and "secureness" that a House of God should instil, IMHO.
From the inside, the cross section looks like a Klingon logo.

One of my favourite cathedrals is this one:

Its really old, over a thousand years. Supposedly it was modelled on the Abbey at Glastonbury which is not far away, though that had a single tower which was something mad like twice as high. A restoration programme put a balloon up to mark the original height and it was mind-blowing for its age. Henry VIII tore it down sadly.

Wells Cathedral sits in one of the smallest cities in Europe. Might the smallest actually. Fun fact, its home to one of the oldest working clocks in the world dating back to 1300-and-something.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2018, 03:28 AM

Haven’t tried the full beard in 25 years.

I think it works, but won’t be compatible with the shaved head.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 6, 2018, 11:58 AM

Yeah, keep the full beard. Just blend in the beard (upside-down from a normal blend).

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 19, 2019, 09:16 AM

Ow.

andi*pandi
Jun 19, 2019, 09:32 AM

your eye looks ouchy.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 19, 2019, 10:05 AM

It’s fine if I don’t touch it... which was difficult yesterday when I got an eyelash in there.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jun 19, 2019, 10:09 AM

I did another motorcycle. Once I get the seat recovered I'll sell it.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 19, 2019, 10:32 AM

Dude... are your jeans inside your shoes?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jun 19, 2019, 11:01 AM

Above the shoes.

Also, that's a diaper bag. On this trip I also picked up a pacifier we left at my sister's house and chocolate at CVS. It was a manly motorcycle ride.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 19, 2019, 11:04 AM

Okay... you had me worried for a second.

Forum Links
Forum Rules