Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > G4 won't/can't update to 9.1

G4 won't/can't update to 9.1
peterthorn
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 14, 2002, 06:29 AM

I have tried to update a G4 (400 mhz) from 9.0.4 to 9.1 (in the process of going to 9.2). It loads the disk-image, and I can start the upgrade program, but when it has shown the "startup screen", nothing happens - no sign of the dialogue where you can select the disk.
I have checked that all the system files are the right language (danish), I have tried to reboot with ext. off - (and I have done it before on several other computers without any problems). When I tried to boot up from the startup cd, it won't (I have tried both to select it as startup disk and holding c down when starting up - starts for HD anyway). Disk First Aid doesn't show anything, and the computer seems otherwise happy.
Any suggestions?

TIA,
Peter

Cipher13
Feb 19, 2002, 04:46 AM

Is this CD burned? If so, was it burned in bootable mode?

This is an odd problem.

Do you experience a lack of window-redraw in any other applications?

Does the updater crash, or just not show anything? Can you move the mouse? Quit? Does hitting enter take you to the next screen?

Worboren
Feb 19, 2002, 09:55 AM

I've seen similar behaviour on a g4 with a non-original drive, it refused to boot from an original OS 9 CD. 9.2 was ok though, you could try doing a clean 9.2 install? Also, does holding down Option on startup let you select the CD?

peterthorn  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2002, 07:50 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
<STRONG>Is this CD burned? If so, was it burned in bootable mode?

This is an odd problem.

Do you experience a lack of window-redraw in any other applications?

Does the updater crash, or just not show anything? Can you move the mouse? Quit? Does hitting enter take you to the next screen?</STRONG>
Hi Cipher13.
- the startup CD is an original, though from another G4 (usually carry it around to be able to boot a mac at anytime )
- the 9.0.4 system (thats allready installed) seems to work fine.
- the updater shows the standard screen with a picture with three frames - side by side, showing the normal update picture (can't remember precisely how it looks like, but the one you get in all major upgrades). Then the picture goes away and nothing happens - the update program is open (meaning that I can quit it from the menu), the mouse works, enter doesn't do nothing. It just doesn't go to the next screen, where you normally select which harddrive (in this case only one) to upgrade.

Very strange, indeed!
Thanks,
Peter

peterthorn  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2002, 07:56 AM

Originally posted by Worboren:
<STRONG>I've seen similar behaviour on a g4 with a non-original drive, it refused to boot from an original OS 9 CD. 9.2 was ok though, you could try doing a clean 9.2 install? Also, does holding down Option on startup let you select the CD?</STRONG>
Hi Worboren
- holding option on startup didn't work - it seemed like it looked, but then just booted from harddrive. (btw. the boot cd worked on another G4 the same day).
- it could be a non-original drive - is the an easy way to see that in System profile?
- the problem about doing a clean install, is that I don't have a 9.2 CD, only 9.0

Thanks,
Peter

reader50
Administrator
Feb 21, 2002, 12:29 AM

Originally posted by peterthorn:
<STRONG>
...- the startup CD is an original, though from another G4...</STRONG>
The boot CDs that Apple distributes with it's systems do not contain the full OS version. Extensions / tweaks needed for different Mac models are all present in the full retail OS package. But the boot CDs that come with a system contain only the components needed for that system.

Using a boot CD from a G4 system, I would expect it to boot models close to or identical to the G4 that the CD came with. And I would expect failures or odd behavior if the CD were tried in other Mac models, or (to a lesser extent) in other G4 models.

[ 02-20-2002: Message edited by: reader50 ]

peterthorn  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 21, 2002, 04:50 AM

hmm - I'll give it a try and boot from 9.1 cd that came with OS X.

Thanks,
Peter

Forum Links
Forum Rules