Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Did I...?

Did I...?
ghporter
Administrator
Feb 16, 2019, 10:41 PM

I could have sworn I posted a thread about whether or not there was a functional (rather than theoretical) difference between a USB 3 to Ethernet adapter and a Thunderbolt 2 to Ethernet adapter, but I can’t find hide nor hair of any such thread or poste even mentioned.

So did I actually post it and I’m just too blind to find it, or did I just imagine it?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

reader50
Administrator
Feb 16, 2019, 11:20 PM

It appears you did not. You've discussed thunderbolt peripherals, and done ethernet troubleshooting for members. But no real overlap.

Perhaps you posted in a thread where that discussion happened, or on a different board? If you didn't use the words "thunderbolt" or "ethernet" yourself, search will not find anything. If you only commented on others' posts.

Oh, and a TB -> Ethernet adapter ought to work better (by itself). As TB is serialized PCIe, the computer is talking to it like any other network card.

USB -> Ethernet adds a protocol switch. In practice, USB3 might be fast enough to absorb the conversion, and hide any packet latency. So maybe I don't know the practical answer.

Exception: if you use the network adapter on a TB eGPU enclosure, and you are using the graphics card too, all bets are off. A GPU card hogs the TB buss. I've gotten hesitations when playing video files from a USB drive plugged into an eGPU box. The hesitations vanished if I unloaded the GPU, or if I used a USB port on the Mac.

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Feb 17, 2019, 06:08 PM

Well you've answered both of my questions!

Amazon has a nicely priced USB 3 gig adapter, but there are a lot of negative reviews from Mac (and some Windows) users, so I was concerned about wasting time messing with that sort of thing.

reader50
Administrator
Feb 17, 2019, 08:21 PM

Any objection to moving this to Peripherals or Networking?

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Feb 18, 2019, 08:37 PM

No. I think that might be useful. Even if Thunderbolt isn’t “all that,” its PCI nature makes it useful for a lot of things. This is a good example.

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Feb 23, 2019, 06:57 PM

I'm just waiting for a few spare dollars to buy the adapter. I'll probably buy from Amazon...getting to the nearest Apple Stores isn't particularly convenient, and I can save a few dollars through one of Amazon's vendors.

Forum Links
Forum Rules