Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Why did you buy an iPod?

Why did you buy an iPod?
discotronic
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2004, 09:59 PM

I've been seeing a ton of articles lately with reasons why people have bought their iPod. The majority of answers seems to be because "it is the latest fashion".

Myself, I bought mine because of the massive amount of music that I lug around with me when I'm on the road. I have a CD case that holds 300 CD's and a couple smaller ones and all are full. A couple years ago I misplaced the larger one. Granted that's a hard thing to do but it happened. Fortunately I found it. I realized then that I needed to protect my investment. Having them in my car when on the road is just to big of a risk. I knew that the iPod was the answer. It is small, lightweight, and I can put it in my pocket when I'm on the go. I waited until the hard drives got bigger and the price came down. I finally broke down and bought the 3G 20GB model.

I didn't buy it for the cool factor even though it is just that. I bought it to protect my investment. It would cost a whole lot more to replace my music collection than to replace the iPod. People may ask why I want to carry around so many CD's. The reason is simple, I never know what I want to listen to ahead of time.

To all those people wearing an iPod as a fashion accessory: You are making yourself a target for all the thieves in the world. Those little white ear buds are a sign that says "I have high dollar goods in my pocket."

What does everyone else think?

OreoCookie
Mar 28, 2004, 01:29 AM

I've spent 3 hours in public transportation, so I needed some sort of entertainment ... that's why I bought an iPod.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

saranwarp
Forum Regular
Mar 28, 2004, 02:21 AM

I didn't buy it for fashion at all. I usually put it in my pocket and take it out only when I have to.

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2004, 03:44 PM

2.5 hours per day on the bus and subway.
'Nuff said.

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 28, 2004, 08:27 PM

I bought my original iPod, a 5 gig, when they first came out because it looked cool and was made by Apple. Seriously. Since then, the iPod has absolutely changed the way I listen to and buy music, along with the iTunes store, of course.

I will admit that at the time I bought the iPod, I wasn't listen to much music at all, and in fact, I was at the point where I hadn't bought a new album in years. The radio wasn't playing anything I liked, and CDs were too expensive for me to be taking chances on them based on written reviews, etc. And the help I would get at music stores was . . . not great.

After I got the iPod, I started listening to a lot of my older stuff again, stuff I hadn't listen to in awhile, and then when the music store opened up, I began actually browsing and listening to artists I had never heard before. Being able to sample tracks has made a huge difference in my music buying habits, and now I buy at least one new album a month.

I know have a completely full 3rd gen 20 gig, and I credit Apple for getting me back into music.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 28, 2004, 08:39 PM

Originally posted by discotronic:
Why did you buy an iPod?
Because Steve said so?

Cellery
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2004, 09:39 PM

It actually cut down on gadget clutter for me, since I can now listen to music and transport files to and from work on the iPod.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2004, 10:43 PM

a. i do not enjoy carrying my cd case around with me everywhere i go
b. i do not enjoy having to change cds every hour
c. i use it as a backup for important documents

Leo the 3rd
Mar 28, 2004, 11:26 PM

I bought one (the original 5GB model - which is still working to this day) because I had a good music collection that I wanted to enjoy while traveling downtown to work and also on road trips. It's a great product that fit a need for me: ability to change the music I listen to on a whim/mood. I can relive music I listened to as a teen - great 80's music by New Order, Tears for Fears, Depeche Mode etc. to classic jazz by Coltrane, Brubeck, Miles. And having a current 15GB just gave me more room for storage. I will continue to own an iPod so long as Apple makes them.

SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2004, 02:42 AM

I bought mine with professional thoughts first

My CD player dosent play at the right speed so the songs would be out of tune (just enought to drive you nuts!). I play steel drums and cant fine tune the pan to the song, so instead of buying other CD players or one good expensive one, I bought my iPod. Now I have all my backup music with me AND all my inbetween set music. I can run a party with it (which has happend several times without knowing in advance) and I always have all my music with me at percussion lessons for my studnets, its nice to give them examples on the spot of styles and songs.

then there the road trips, the long walks, the beach, the biking, the mall, woking out, on and on and on. Need there be more of a reason.

I love it and would REALLY miss not having it. Along with my digital camera and digital video camera, I'm the envy of all my friends The main difference is I actually use my stuff. that is key and I can completely justify my spending of these items to them (cause I am poor!)

Graymalkin
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2004, 04:18 AM

I bought mine when I started work at a prepress position on the graveyard shift. The prospect of picking a handful of my 400+ CDs to take to work every night and changing them hourly didn't sit well with me. At the time I was also stuck with only a 20GB drive on my Powerbook I didn't want filled with music. My iPod has since become my portable music collection. It has gone with me on a cross country drive, several long train trips, and countless trips around southern California. When the iPods were first released I didn't think a hard drive based MP3 player would be too worthwhile, now I'd be really angry with myself for not owning one.

Dr.Michael
Mar 29, 2004, 04:36 AM

I have a 1st gen 5GB iPod. I bought it because I walk every morning 30 minutes to my office. I like to listen to audio books because since I have finsihed my PHD I had little time to read which I consider a loss of culture. The iPod brings this back to me (in an enhanced way considering the really great stuff that can be found among audio books). But if you consider for example the 16 CDs for hotel new hampshire I really don't want to think in the morning which ones I have to take with me.

The second reason: I work in a research facility which is 200 miles away from my flat. So I rented a furnished room where I live during the week (the mentioned 30 minutes walk away from the office).This place has only isdn internet capabilities. At work I have mega highspeed internet, something around 10 MBit/sec. So I also use the iPod to take larger downloads home or to transport source code (I work as a science developer/software architect) between my work and my powerbook@home.

Great tool, and my old battery still lasts 6hours+.

Michael
( Last edited by Dr.Michael; Mar 29, 2004 at 08:40 AM. )

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2004, 10:07 AM

I bought it because of all the points noted above: size, Mac support, looks, exercising, etc. I haven't regretted it yet. Original 5GB model here too.

John G. Stillmank
Mar 29, 2004, 03:24 PM

I bought my 3G 40gig iPod so I can rip my CDs and then forget about them, enabling me to carry all my music with me anywhere I go. I also have audiobooks to listen to on the road when I don't feel like music, and vice versa. The iPod and iTunes have rekindled my love of music, have helped me choose a wider variety of types of music (through the iTunes Music Store, for example), and have introduced me to audiobooks (I love to read but there are times, like when driving, that it's not practical). It's great in the car and at other times, like in the grocery store. I love it!

P.S. Plus, the style: it looks so cool and is easy to use. And, best of all, it's made by the world's greatest computer company!
15" Aluminum Powerbook G4, 1.25GHz, 1GB, 80GB. Airport Extreme. 4G iPod 60GB.

bitjumper
Mar 29, 2004, 05:27 PM

I always wondered if I'd actually use an iPod if I got one. I'm not a heavy music listener. Once I bought a 64M mp3 player and only used it two or three times. It seemed to be a hassle.

I never really considered the regular iPod. That iPod seemed a little combersom to me and expensive. So I was intriqued by the rumors of an iPod mini.

Then I saw a mini at a store, held it, and thought it felt fantastic. Still, I didn't get one.

Not until my mother asked me what I wanted for my birthday and I said, "well, how about an iPod mini". She doesn't understand what it is. But she went to the SF Apple Store near her home and tried to get one for me. They were sold out so she sent me a check.

I've been really enjoying the mini. The size & weight is fantastic. I can barely feel it in my pocket. I've been buying music, connecting it to my stereo, using it to keep me company during my walks to work, and I even moved my desktop speakers to my bedroom to listen to it.

The live mirroring of my music from my iTunes music is surprisingly convenient and automatic. It makes my iPod feel like an extention to my iTunes application that is available for me to take anywhere.

But oh, those accessories. I've already spent $50 on them and my shopping cart at the Apple store has another $100 in it ready to go.

Erik

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2004, 06:26 PM

To have my whole music library under my finger tip to play songs I want to listen to anywhere I am. =)

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2004, 07:07 PM

Bought the first iPod because I like music and did not have a portable player except an old Sony Budda Khan tape Walkman that was collecting dust and did not want a portable CD player (too bulky and limited). Really did not realize how cool the iPod was till I made the decision to rip ALL of my music to my Mac and then get a 30 gig to put it all on. Sold most of my CDs to a music store and that more than paid for my second iPod. I decided to keep my favorite band CDs to play in my home stereo.

Hooked up the second iPod to my truck via a converter box. Coolest thing ever. Used to lug around 20 to 30 CDs.

The iPod is just great at tuning out all the assholes on their cell phones that think they are the most important businessman in the bus, train, airplane, store, etc. You know the ones....the ones that talk at twice the volume they normally converse at. People invariably interrupt you to ask "is that an MP3 player" or "is that an iPod" or "do you like the iPod". Funny how they don't interrupt your phone conversation, but they will interrupt your efforts to enjoy some music.

I don't get interrupted as much when I don't use the Apple earbuds.

I don't know how the iPod could get any cooler. A color screen with the album covers displayed would be pretty trick I guess. Still have not seen the mini in person yet, but I hear it is awesome. Thinking about getting one for my girlfriend.

Can't wait to see what Microsoft's Player will look like. Probably will be a POS but Windows people will think it is the shiznit.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

iChelle
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 4, 2004, 08:26 PM

Originally posted by Macpilot:
I don't know how the iPod could get any cooler. A color screen with the album covers displayed would be pretty trick I guess.
It came true a few weeks ago. Ah technology!

V12
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 4, 2004, 09:30 PM

cause i got it for only $69 after rebates, and i was tired of flipping though tons of cds, oh and its cool.

nagromme
Senior User
Nov 4, 2004, 10:12 PM

Don't confuse two different questions:

* Why did you buy a high-capacity music player?

* Why did you choose the iPod?

"To play music" answers the first but not the second.

For the second, of course a lot of people follow the herd even if they don't realize the true advantages the iPod has.
nagromme

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2004, 11:15 PM

I was lusting after one for a long time, because of my massive and ever changing music library. I got a rev 2 10 GIG iPod as a gift. Music first, data second, cool factor thrid, and to piss windows people off 4th (though it was always worth it at the time).

Too bad its battery is showing age after 18 months.... now if only I could buy a mini...

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2004, 11:34 PM

because it was 90 bucks including CA tax with the cram and jam deal
iamwhor3hay

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 5, 2004, 12:36 AM

I bought mine because:

1) I recently purchased a 15" powerbook... my first mac... and fell in love with apple

2) My recently purchased sony MD walkman didn't work with my new mac... and barely worked with my PC b/c of sony's extra crappy software

3) I could only fit 60ish songs on a MD and they weren't anywhere near as easy to change as on the iPod... when you live on a huge college campus and go to the gym daily you definitely get sick of 60 songs...

Definitely a great investment IMHO
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2004, 01:35 AM

i bought it because my school had a 1 day sale back in march 2002 where the iPod (only 5 GB model at that time) was $199. many of my friends and i bought ipods with the intention of ebaying them for $300+. i ended up keeping mine

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2004, 01:57 AM

I bought my original iPod, a 5 gig, when they first came out because it looked cool and was made by Apple. Seriously. Since then, the iPod has absolutely changed the way I listen to and buy music, along with the iTunes store, of course.
What he said.

And b/c I work with annoying a-holes. Being in my own world helps reduce the chance of conflict.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

Forum Links
Forum Rules