Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Microsoft to end support for Office for Mac 2008 on April 9

Microsoft to end support for Office for Mac 2008 on April 9
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Apr 4, 2013, 04:59 PM

Microsoft will end support for Office 2008 for Mac on April 9, according to an official blog post. After that deadline, the company will no longer release any new updates for the software. People will, however, be able to download existing updates until April 19. It's unknown if Microsoft will post one final patch before the 9th.

The last major update of Office for Mac was the 2011 version. Mac owners can either buy a copy of that, or pay for an Office 365 subscription, which currently includes Office 2011. Office 365 subscriptions also covers any future Office upgrades so long as a agreement remains active.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Apr 5, 2013 at 03:43 AM. )

Geoduck
Forum Regular
Apr 4, 2013, 05:19 PM

my Office.X is not covered any longer either?
Though I did not know the place, I set out for the land of my dreams
When I arrived at the land of my dreams, I found I did not know the place

MacMan2000
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2013, 07:14 PM

Windows 98 end support in 2006 (8 years support)

windows xp released 2001.... ended support 2008, no wait 2010, im sorry 2014 (didnt mean to upset all those buissneses out there.... we will continue to support it forever. (13 years support)

office xp ...... 10 years support
office 2007 ..... ends in 2017........ oh wait, thats one year AFTER office 2011 for mac ends support. WOW!

Flying Meat
Senior User
Apr 5, 2013, 12:52 PM

"able to download existing updates until April 19."

The article is unclear. Seems you can currently download updates for Office 2004. You just have to go to http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads

The article allows the interpretation of "no downloads" will be available after the 19th. The link above would indicate this is not the case for software out of the support phase. Maybe this only applies to the Microsoft Auto Update software?

Flying Meat
Senior User
Apr 5, 2013, 02:55 PM

You will be able download existing updates until April 19th, 2014. At least from the Microsoft Mac site. Probably through the Microsoft Auto Update application for 2008 as well, but...

Forum Links
Forum Rules