Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Replacing broken glass front on an iPhone 3G

Replacing broken glass front on an iPhone 3G
shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2009, 03:41 PM

Has anyone done this before? Care to share your experiences?

It doesn't seem like a terribly difficult thing to do - one of my coworkers offered to pay me to replace the heavily cracked glass on his iPhone. Is it too much effort?
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2009, 05:34 PM

Have you looked at ifixit.com? They sell replacement parts and make detailed instructions freely available. You can check out the instructions to make an educated guess about how well you could pull them off.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2009, 11:44 PM

actually i've done this twice with my roommates iphone 3g, it was extremely easy if you follow the great directions on youtube and buy the parts from ifixit/ ebay

The first repair we only replaced the "digitizer" which was a royal pain the the a** (i'll never do that again), you have to separate it from the LCD by heating the glue etc etc etc,

the second repair was the lcd/glass/digitizer which was a breeze, if only the glass is broken, you'll be much better off if you just replace the lcd/glass/digitizer.

(BTW we purchased both parts off eBay for a much lower price than ifixit and got great quality and service, i'm not sure who the seller was but he had great feedback about iphone parts)

EDIT: if you do this make sure to buy a small suction cup from a hardware store, it makes removing the glass/lcd painless

Forum Links
Forum Rules