Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Sherlock only shows News (Japan)

Sherlock only shows News (Japan)
darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 19, 2004, 12:58 PM

Hey guys. When I try to customize my Sherlock toolbar, it shows News (Japan) instead of English News like it used to. I've had this problem for the longest time and with each OS X reinstallation, it's still there, but it USED to be english. I'm thinking it's when my iBook still had the factory default install that it was english.

How can I fix this short of restoring from the restoration discs?

barney ntd
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 19, 2004, 02:34 PM

Delete the following files/folders:

~/Library/Chaches/Sherlock
~/Library/Preferences/Sherlock
~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Sherlock.plist

This will restore your Sherlock to its default state, so you'll have to resubscribe to any channels you use.

Barney.

darcybaston  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 19, 2004, 05:12 PM

Ok, did that. When I launched Sherlock, it redownloaded some channel items from Apple.

Then I went View->Customize Toolbar, and the news choice was spelled News (Japan). Dragging that channel up to the toolbar and trying to use it loads stuff in Japanese characters which I can't read.

That's the problem. That japanese news thing keeps showing up. I have never used any custom channels, and just the Apple defaults, and one of their defaults is always this News (Japan) thing. But when I got my iBook brand new, the default software had english world news in there.

Pics:

( Last edited by darcybaston; Nov 19, 2004 at 05:30 PM. )

barney ntd
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 20, 2004, 10:32 AM

That just means Apple's stopped supporting the channel (maybe temporarily). To see all available channels, don't use "Customize Toolbar" (which only shows Apple's own channels), click on the "Channels" toolbar icon and see plenty of third-party ones as well. Maybe one of these will give you what you want.

Barney.

darcybaston  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 20, 2004, 11:24 AM

Barney! You're a genious! I found the World News thing I was using before that I confused for Apple's own, and it was in the 3rd party channels section. DOH! Human error...the biggest problem in IT support lol!

I hope to not embody it any further, no matter how hopeless a goal that may be.

Forum Links
Forum Rules