Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How to get Leopard to not look for shared computers?

How to get Leopard to not look for shared computers?
darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 29, 2008, 11:37 PM

Somebody in my building has sharing turned on, and Leopard is showing his/her computer in my SHARED section of the left finder window pane. How do I tell Leopard to never look for shared computers?

Macbook, 2.16GHz, 10.5.1
Macbook (white glossy) 2.16GHz | 4GB RAM | 7200RPM HD | 10.5.x

Krusty
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2008, 11:41 PM

Finder->Preferences->Sidebar .... uncheck "bonjour computers"

darcybaston  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 30, 2008, 12:40 AM

Does that just hide the display, or does it stop the snooping service?

Krusty
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2008, 01:04 AM

Just the display. But you are thinking about it a little backward. Your mac isn't finding these computers via a snooping service. The other computer is broadcasting its signal across the network and advertising itself as an available computer. Unchecking that box is essentially telling your computer to ignore the beacons being sent out by that other computer. There really isn't anything you can do to stop the other computer from broadcasting itself on the network ... all you can really do it ignore that broadcast.

darcybaston  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 30, 2008, 01:36 AM

As long as it tells the Mac to ignore the blips on the radar, I'm cool with that.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2008, 10:46 PM

Same thing happens to me when I plug my MacBook into the network at the office. Several Macs pop up in the Shared pane. The funny thing is that Macs are NOT supported in any way at work, yet there seem to be a bunch of them around. And I'm pretty sure they're not just PCs with Bonjour installed, since that's not software that exists on the standard PC desktop image.

Brass
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2008, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Cadaver View Post
Same thing happens to me when I plug my MacBook into the network at the office. Several Macs pop up in the Shared pane. The funny thing is that Macs are NOT supported in any way at work, yet there seem to be a bunch of them around. And I'm pretty sure they're not just PCs with Bonjour installed, since that's not software that exists on the standard PC desktop image.
There are lots of Windows (and Unix/Samba) file servers that pop up under "Shared" my Finder's sidebar when on the work network. None of them use Bonjour (I know that, because I'm the admin for some of them). In fact most of them are not even on the same subnet, and Bonjour does not cross subnets (at least not without an additional hack).

So it's not just Bonjour systems and connected systems that show up under "Shared" in the Finder sidebar. However, they do all disappear when "Bonjour Computers" is deselected from the Finder's preferences. So what is really going on here?

Note that Macs have a completely different icon than other systems under "Shared". Non-Mac Systems (or at least Windows/SMB systems) have a generic looking beige CRT monitor displaying a blue screen of death. The Mac Systems have a Mac icon (iMac icon, I think, but not sure... don't have any other Macs in my subnet here at the moment).
( Last edited by Brass; Jan 30, 2008 at 11:11 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules