Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Battery life changed in just a few days

Battery life changed in just a few days
darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 19, 2004, 11:26 AM

I have an iBook G4 14", 933Mhz and using the original battery. I first turned on this computer November 2003, and did the calibration charge thing.

Nearly a year later, and in just the last few days, my battery life and gauge has behaved differently. Last week I was getting near 3 hours of battery life with my pattern of usage, and the system would go to sleep with 5 minutes remaining. In the last few days, I've been getting 1.5 hours life, and it goes to sleep with 20 minutes remaining.

What is this a sign of? I've done a recalibration and it doesn't want to change the 1.5 h life, but I'm looking at my countdown and it say 17min remaining and it's not asleep. Maybe that part is fixed after the latest recal.

Another observation is that since it began going to sleep at 20 minutes remaining, I haven't been getting a warning dialog either.

And lastly, the graph usually didn't turn red until there were just a handful of minutes left. Now, it's turning red at 25 minutes, but not always. Weird? Or is this just the natural dying process of an almost 1 year old battery?

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2004, 05:56 PM

What is this a sign of?
Uh, battery failure?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

A Ghost Is Born
Forum Regular
Oct 19, 2004, 09:19 PM

Apple recommends that you recalibrate your battery every couple of months. That way you can maintain peak performance. It's one of those things like an oil change that you should do regularly.

darcybaston  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 21, 2004, 12:11 AM

Yeah, I've been doing those for a while. I've done about 4 more recals since I wrote that post and 1.5 hours is all I get. Is that gauge linked to the power manager thing that can be reset? Would reseting help or be more of a hassle?

A Ghost Is Born
Forum Regular
Oct 21, 2004, 01:15 AM

I think that you are out of luck.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2004, 06:15 PM

You haven't unconsciously changed your power settings(CPU speed, etc) have you?

darcybaston  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 22, 2004, 09:11 PM

Heh, nope. I was getting 3 hours at full tilt with airport turned on. I've tried reduced, low brightness, no airport, and it only goes up to 2h, and doesn't stay there very long before it plummets anyway.

Probably just a quick death signal. I'm still under warranty and can probably make a claim. I may yet. I have ink disappearing from my keys too. The 's' is almost gone.

Forum Links
Forum Rules