Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > lost control of internal mic

lost control of internal mic
darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 14, 2004, 01:37 PM

Hi! I've got an iBook 933MHz 14" with 640MB ram, and Panther 10.3.6.

I tried using a web cam capture utility called BTV Pro, unregistered. It unexpectedly quit on me while exporting a Quicktime movie, and now I can't control my internal microphone. It's just ON, all the time.

I've tried a soft reset, and a hard rest, and the Mic still comes on, and passes audio through to the speakers. When I go to System prefs and drag the audio input volume all the way to the left (supposedly reducing it), the mic still transmits to the speakers non stop at the same volume.

What the heck happend? What did BTV Pro do, or could have done when it crashed to make the hardware start ignoring software and just make whatever connection it feels like? I've tried launching it and quitting it properly to see if that would reset something, but it doesn't change a thing.

I'll be contacting the makers of BTV Pro right after this post too.

f1000
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2004, 05:04 PM

Look in System Preferences -> Accounts -> Startup Items to see if "BTV Pro" is starting up upon boot and running in the background.

darcybaston  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 18, 2004, 05:10 PM

Thanks for the idea f1000. I had checked actually.

I'm happy to say the problem is gone. I downloaded the latest beta of BTV, did a camera/audio capture, and the mic turned itself off properly this time.

BTV says their software cannot possibly cause this sort of problem, although it was their idea to try the latest beta of the software. And that fixed it.

Interesting.

f1000
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2004, 05:54 PM

Fascinating.

Forum Links
Forum Rules