Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Alternative OS Reference > The Official Boot Camp ExperiencesThread

The Official Boot Camp ExperiencesThread (Page 3)
steveinva
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2006, 01:30 PM

I had a great experience installing Boot Camp and XP on my Intel MBP...but i only have 1 problem..can anyone answer this for me?

well i have a dell laptop inspiron 5160...and yea..i never use it anymore since i have a MBP of course...but when i installed boot camp i used my Dell's window's xp sp2 cd to install it on my MBP..everything went fine...windows runs perfectly and nothing is wrong with it(im actually in firefox right now)...but the only problem i have is, when i try to activate my windows with the product activation key...i type in the one thats located on the bottom of my dell laptop..and it doesnt work...what do i need to do?..because the only windows product key that i have is the one on the bottom of my dell..so can anyone help me?

cms
Senior User
Jun 11, 2006, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Inimical
I had a great experience installing Boot Camp and XP on my Intel MBP...but i only have 1 problem..can anyone answer this for me?

well i have a dell laptop inspiron 5160...and yea..i never use it anymore since i have a MBP of course...but when i installed boot camp i used my Dell's window's xp sp2 cd to install it on my MBP..everything went fine...windows runs perfectly and nothing is wrong with it(im actually in firefox right now)...but the only problem i have is, when i try to activate my windows with the product activation key...i type in the one thats located on the bottom of my dell laptop..and it doesnt work...what do i need to do?..because the only windows product key that i have is the one on the bottom of my dell..so can anyone help me?
This is because that copy of Windows is already registered as "belonging" to your old Dell and is linked to the Dell's BIOS. Your MBP BIOS is obviously different, so what you have done is seen as being an illegal install of software already "owned" by a specific machine.

What you really ought to do, of course, is buy a legitimate version of Windows XP to install on your MBP.

But you could try calling Microsoft tech support and blagging your way through by saying that you've done a clean install on your Dell (NOT installed it on your MBP) and it no longer recognises the activation key. If you're lucky, they may give you a new activation key. It does happen, in completely legitimate circumstances, so they may believe just you!

steveinva
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2006, 01:51 PM

hmm alright thanks for the help..i think ima try calling microsoft tech support like u said just to see if i can do it haha...if not then i guess i'll buy me a new XP disk

thanks alot thoughh for the help

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 11, 2006, 07:50 PM

Look elsewhere in this forum for where to get a legitimate XP disc; it's easy and nowhere near as expensive as it could be. If you're a college student, you may be able to get a copy for VERY LITTLE through your school. My campus bookstore has XP for $18-but only for students, and only ONE PER CUSTOMER.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

steveinva
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2006, 02:02 AM

^wow thanks i never even thought about that..im in college so hopefully i can find one for around $18 hah

farggousq
Jun 12, 2006, 09:17 PM

Ok, i cant figure this out. I have installed Boot Camp, partitiond the drive got my drivers, and installed windows. I have a fresh copy of XP SP2. After the drive is formatted and it installs, and the computer restarts, it says window cannot load because the file Cwindows\system32\hal.dll is corrupted or missing. i have redone the install, reformatted the partiton, even destryed it and redone from scratch, but that file is still jacked. And i dont know DOS well enough to manually load the file on to the drive.

Any help you can throw my way will be greatly appreciated.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 14, 2006, 12:38 PM

Have you made double sure that you have a GOOD, VALID, NON-OEM XP disc? I usually burn a copy of my official discs so I can keep the original nice and safe, but sometimes I go through three or even four blank CDs before I get a usable copy-something to do with the encoding on the official disc or something else, I don't know.

jamez bond
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 6, 2006, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by fhoubi
I had some minor issues: 1) you must be admin, otherwise bootcamp will not recnogize the windows cd 2) I had a fatal error when booting from the windows partition during the install, trying again solved the problem.

Otherwise.. my only reason to run Windows: Autodesk Inventor 10 full trial version SCREAMING:
Yahoo!

I was going to get a Macbook and run Inventor Series (Ver. 11 now) occasionally... I work with it, and use it from home/on travel from time to time...
Does it work well? anyone tried with a Macbook, since this has reduced graphics capabilities...?
Yahoo! Got my new Macbook!
[FONT="Verdana"]My Blog[/FONT]

fhoubi
Senior User
Jul 6, 2006, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by jamez bond
Does it work well?
It flies. IV opens within 3.5 seconds, even when starting for the first time. No graphic glitches at all, at full hardware support, even when IV does not support or recommend Radeon graphics officially. I got trained on hardware 10 times slow as this! If I remembered correctly the gocart assembly opens in less than 10 seconds on the iMac... Unless you are building assemblies with more than 1000+ parts, I THINK the MacBook would be just fine...
I'm-a trying to wonder, wonder, wonder why you, wonder, wonder why you act so.

jamez bond
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 6, 2006, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by fhoubi
It flies. IV opens within 3.5 seconds, even when starting for the first time. No graphic glitches at all, at full hardware support, even when IV does not support or recommend Radeon graphics officially. I got trained on hardware 10 times slow as this! If I remembered correctly the gocart assembly opens in less than 10 seconds on the iMac... Unless you are building assemblies with more than 1000+ parts, I THINK the MacBook would be just fine...
Ok, well, I just have to try it out on the Macbook then I guess... I am really wondering how the built-in graphics would work.
Thanks!
Yahoo! Got my new Macbook!
[FONT="Verdana"]My Blog[/FONT]

Bolero421
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2006, 07:27 PM

I installed XP on my Macbook today. The actual install was flawless. However, preparing a working, bootable XP disk was a rather trying affair that involved slipstreaming and modifying an upgrade disk to do a full install (the details of which I will not go into here due to the questionable legality of said process) and burning multiple copies until I got it right, which took roughly three hours.

Anyhow, it was well worth it. Connecting to my Airport wireless networks was a bit of an ordeal until I figured out that I needed to use 13-character WEP passwords, then I was able to get on the internet without further problems (except for having to use IE, ugh!). I managed to emulate right-clicking by using AutoHotKey.

Of course, the only reason I need XP is for my science labs this fall / later on. That partition will sit gathering dust for the next couple of months.
| White Macbook | 2.0GHz | 120GB WD HD | 1GB DDR2 RAM |
panum et circe

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 10, 2006, 08:28 PM

Bolero, producing a good install disc can be a challenge with a normal install disc. An "upgrade disc" must have presented some VERY interesting experiences.

But upgrade to WPA for wireless security-WEP is like locking a submarine with a screen door. Really.

corbkidd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2006, 09:42 AM

I got through the Bootcamp install no worries, and have since removed it in favor of parallels. The removal of bootcamp appears to have gone normally. When I boot my MBP now I quickly see the the folder with question mark icon then it boots OS X as normal. As such it kind of seems to take a bit longer to post, and I don't remember this prior to installing bootcamp. To me it seems like its searching for a boot partition (maybe the reference to the old Windows one) not finding one first check, and then moving on to the OS X.

Any ideas how to get this to boot like out of box (straight into OSX)?

Thanks,

CK

Bolero421
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2006, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by corbkidd
I got through the Bootcamp install no worries, and have since removed it in favor of parallels. The removal of bootcamp appears to have gone normally. When I boot my MBP now I quickly see the the folder with question mark icon then it boots OS X as normal. As such it kind of seems to take a bit longer to post, and I don't remember this prior to installing bootcamp. To me it seems like its searching for a boot partition (maybe the reference to the old Windows one) not finding one first check, and then moving on to the OS X.

Any ideas how to get this to boot like out of box (straight into OSX)?

Thanks,

CK
Go to System Preferences > Startup Disk and check to make sure your OSX partitions is selected as the default boot volume.
| White Macbook | 2.0GHz | 120GB WD HD | 1GB DDR2 RAM |
panum et circe

PabloTX
Forum Regular
Jul 12, 2006, 01:04 PM

No problems with the installation and everything seems fine on my 20" iMac.

Now to go back and re-partition to give me more than 5Gb (Windows can't read the Mac disk) so that I've got room for my TivoToGo shows.

corbkidd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 13, 2006, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Bolero421
Go to System Preferences > Startup Disk and check to make sure your OSX partitions is selected as the default boot volume.
That seemed to do it. It is kind of wierd because I looked at that setting and the Mac OS X was the only item in the window besides Network Startup, so I just assumed it was set. Apparently there was some former reference to the Windows partition and reselecting it sorted it out.

Thanks for the help.

CK

b1NARY73
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 19, 2006, 11:17 PM

Hi All, I have a Linksys router and an Airport extreme, when I try to connect to both in XP pro with WPA PSK enabled, I cannot connect... turn off security, and it works fine. I have tries the $ sign in the start of my password to no avail.... I also have an actual PC laptop that will not connect eithier.... but my wife's Dell E1505 connects without hesitation...? Any insight would be greatly appeciated!
 Macbook Pro 17" / 2.5GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo / 4GB Ram / 350GB
 Macbook Pro 17" / 2.16GHZ Intel Core Duo / 2GB Ram / 120GB
 Macbook Black / 2.4GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo / 4GB Ram / 350GB

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 20, 2006, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by b1NARY73
Hi All, I have a Linksys router and an Airport extreme, when I try to connect to both in XP pro with WPA PSK enabled, I cannot connect... turn off security, and it works fine. I have tries the $ sign in the start of my password to no avail.... I also have an actual PC laptop that will not connect eithier.... but my wife's Dell E1505 connects without hesitation...? Any insight would be greatly appeciated!
I just updated my wireless network passphrase today (about half an hour ago, in fact). I was setting up my son's new E1505 so I figured it was as good a time as any. (I also use a Linksys WAP54G access point.) I simply had to enter the new passphrase in my wife's iBook and the E1505 and they were good to go. But my older Dell Inspiron 8200 didn't work so quickly. I had to go into the wireless card's setup (NOT the "available networks" pane), find my home network, and change the passphrase there. Once I did that, viola!

inkhead
Senior User
Aug 9, 2006, 11:22 PM

The absolutel WORSE thing about bootcamp, is every SINGLE time it resets the clock when you go back to OS X, screws up apps when you jump times and dates like that.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 10, 2006, 08:37 AM

inkhead, please read the forum: the clock issue is a very simple one. Windows expects the hardware real time clock to show local time, while OS X (and most Linux flavors) expect it to show GMT (or Universal time if you prefer). Boot Camp doesn't reset the clock-you have to do that manually or set Windows to change it automatically. Or you could just tell Windows that you're in London and not worry about it at all.

There's a poorly supported and undocumented Registry hack that might help.
Code:
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation\RealTimeIsUniversal
Set this key's value to "1" and XP should interpret your Mac's hardware clock correctly. There are a few problems with using this hack, as detailed in this article, where I got the hack, but they shouldn't be a big deal in your case.

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 16, 2006, 03:43 AM

i have not been able to install, i like paralelles but its got too many problems.

i would sooo rather have bootcamp running.

i try to partition and it tells me that the disk can not be verified. ran disk utility from the dvd install disk and the computer like i would say 10 times each over the past 2 months it always comes out prefect but boot camp says otherwise, posted a thread about it, here and at 3 other forums.

no one seems to know why its doing that or how to fix it.
Computers:
Macbook Pro: 17in, 2.16Ghz, 120GB HD, 1.5 GB ram.
iBook G4: 1.07Ghz, 60GB HD, 756mb ram (on sale for parts)

Oxident
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2006, 04:27 PM

Hello all!

I have an Intel imac 17"... Eject button stopped working on 1.1, it was ok and working on 1.0 and 1.02...

Anyone found/knows a "cure"?

Cheers

Alex

yomike
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2006, 06:50 PM

I just installed windows xp and I am experiencing the blue screen of death. My machine freezes and then I get a blue screen of death saying something about Physical Memory Run. Is XP unstable or it something else?

2.16 MBP with 1gb of memory. Formatted the Windows partition FAT32.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, mike

Taco Bell Warrior
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2006, 12:47 AM

Install went fine.
But as soon as I install the ATI Video driver I have all sorts of problems.

I get all kinds of nasty pixelly lines on the screen in random places. ("artifex" I think they call it.)
The machine will freeze for a few moments and then I'll get a message saying that "VPU Utility has reset your video adapter because it stopped responding to driver commands."

This happens every few minutes or so.

If I dont have the VPU Recovery Utility enabled, then when the system freezes, the screen will slowly turn white with scan lines and eventually just turn into a big nasty pixelly mess. I have to hold the power button down in order to get the machine to turn on again.

I would say I have a faulty video card but nothing ever goes wrong in Mac OS. And it only starts to misbehave in Windows AFTER I install the ATI video driver.

Sad, sad, sad....I dont know what to do.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 24, 2006, 09:55 AM

Mike and Taco, I think you both had problems with your installs-it shouldn't do that at all. I'd reinstall Windows-and use the Boot Camp 1.1 drivers, too.

Taco Bell Warrior
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2006, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Mike and Taco, I think you both had problems with your installs-it shouldn't do that at all. I'd reinstall Windows-and use the Boot Camp 1.1 drivers, too.

Done that.
Several times. The scary thing is this. It worked fine for about three weeks. Then the other night I was playing Guild Wars and that's when I started having GPU freezes and getting artifacts.

But if Guild Wars fried my video card, wouldnt there be some symptoms in Mac OS?

Electrawoman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2006, 03:08 PM

I am having the worst time installing Windows on a brand new MacBook! I made a 10G partition and burned my drivers with no problem. When I try to install from windows SP2 disk, I get the following screen and when I type an answer, nothing happens.

Windows Installation Boot Menu

[A] Restore Wizard (recommended)
[B] Manual WIndows Installation

Choose an option and press [Enter]
( Last edited by Electrawoman; Aug 31, 2006 at 03:14 PM. )

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 31, 2006, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Electrawoman
I am having the worst time installing Windows on a brand new MacBook! I made a 10G partition and burned my drivers with no problem. When I try to install from windows SP2 disk, I get the following screen and when I type an answer, nothing happens.

Windows Installation Boot Menu

[B] Manual WIndows Installation

Choose an option and press [Enter]
This is very odd. It appears that you're having some issue with the bootloader not properly transferring you to the install system. And the reason you're not getting anything to happen when you type an answer is that the Windows pre-installer (what you're interacting with) is not recognizing your keyboard.

I'd use Disk Utility to delete that partition and start over with Boot Camp. This should NOT happen.

Moose
Senior User
Sep 1, 2006, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Electrawoman
You can't use a Windows CD you got with another computer with Boot Camp.

bstone
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2006, 07:36 PM

Question:

Is it possible to create a triple boot? I want to have an OS X, XP and Ubuntu triple boot? How can I accomplish this? I have been told I need a BootCamp created partition in order to boot to Ubuntu, but BC seems to only want to make one partition and no more.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

wake266
Sep 9, 2006, 11:38 PM

well im a gamer, and there is now way for me to quit, i want to play all my games, which are pc based. a friend and owner of 5 or 6 ibooks told me about a cool thing called boot camp. i was eager, before learning of the need to have my own copy of windows xp. but i was in luck i had a copy of xp home edition with sp1(it was a reinstallation disk from my xp coputer if that makes a difference). i have learned i need sp2, without buying a 200$ copy of xp with sp2 is there anyother option? can i download the sp or whats the deaL?Do i even need it. from what ive learned it splits your hd into 2 sections, and i dont see why i need it. Help me out.

*sp=service pack.

HennyDaLoc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2006, 03:13 PM

I have seen where several other MacBook Pro owners where able to install Vista with minimal problems. Helping me just boot to the disc would be tremendious.

Everytime I boot to the Vista RC1 Install disc, I receive the ACPI Blue Screen referencing non-compliant BIOS. I know the MacBook Pro doesn't use BIOS and runs of off EFI, however, I have seen in several forums where deleting the EFI partition was not necessary in order to complete the Vista install.

Any suggestions so that I can at least boot to the disc would be most helpful.

BTW...I am not able to boot to the Vista Disc using Parallels either...same ACPI BSOD. Burn a new disc maybe? Has any one else had this problem???

Wayne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 6, 2006, 01:43 PM

I also have a mac pro with the ATI video card dvi output to dvi input to 19" HDTV lcd monitor. Like the other posts, after partitioning the drive, and upon the initial reboot with the windows xp sp2 cd, my computer restarts with the white display then blacks out. Thus, I cannot proceed with the installation. (I also tried to use the dvi/vga adapter and output to the monitor's vga input but same problem.)

Next, I did a hard reboot with the option key. If I leave the windows xp cd in the drive I will see the hard drive icon for the mac drive and a cd icon for windows xp. When I choose windows xp it blacks out again.

Please let me know if there is a work around. Thank you.

pablo1963
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2006, 11:15 AM

I'm a complete Mac noob, having been tempted over by the wonderful macbook. However, I need/want XP for work and so I'm attempting the Bootcamp experience with hair pulling results:

Let me 'fess up: I started a late night Bootcamping session (I know, never a good idea) and had to abandon it because my DVD drive decided to die right there, stopping me burning the Mac drivers CD. The machine is now back from the Apple Store and I'm trying again; Bootcamp tells me it's doing an upgrade, and on clicking "close" after the "installation successful" window, nothing happens. Moreover, Bootcamp does not appear in the applications folder (is it supposed to?), just a shortcut (erm... alias?) to the installer.

Does "installation type: upgrade" mean that it's already installed? Seems logical, but I don't see any evidence of it. And if so, how do I start from scratch so I can enjoy the blissful experience described by other bootcampers?

Edit: After searching the discussion forums at Apple.com, I found somebody who'd had the same problem. It turns out that Bootcamp has been installed and is living in the Utilities folder of the Applications directory, whereas, slightly confusingly for me, Bootcamp Assistant was loud and proud in the main Applications window. Anyway, a positive result, now then, where's my XP disc?

TIA

Pablo
( Last edited by pablo1963; Oct 20, 2006 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Update)

jamie48
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2006, 06:37 PM

help! i have a 40gb partition on my 250gb drive for torrents, and i won't mind getting rid of it to install bootcamp etc but i dont know how to get rid of the partition without erasing the whole disk (main mac hd volume included) what do i do>?!?

ccrider
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 3, 2006, 02:29 PM

How long does the typical Windows XP installation take? Mine's been stuck on 39 minutes remaining for about an hour. Also, is 5gb enough? Could that be the problem? I formatted FAT32.

What should I do? Force reboot? [ouch...]
Thanks!

Man, whoulda thought we'd be talking about windows installations on macnn. Yick.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2006, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by HennyDaLoc View Post
I have seen where several other MacBook Pro owners where able to install Vista with minimal problems. Helping me just boot to the disc would be tremendious.

Everytime I boot to the Vista RC1 Install disc, I receive the ACPI Blue Screen referencing non-compliant BIOS. I know the MacBook Pro doesn't use BIOS and runs of off EFI, however, I have seen in several forums where deleting the EFI partition was not necessary in order to complete the Vista install.

Any suggestions so that I can at least boot to the disc would be most helpful.

BTW...I am not able to boot to the Vista Disc using Parallels either...same ACPI BSOD. Burn a new disc maybe? Has any one else had this problem???

I've done this twice now, once on a 17" MBP and once on a 17" iMac. Here's what I did:

1) Run Boot Camp and burn your drivers and make a windows partition of at least 12 GB (Vista needs space!)

2) Install Windows XP SP2 on the C: partition.

3) When it's done installing and you are booted into Windows XP, insert your Vista DVD and either upgrade or install new (either works).

4) Once Vista installs, install your Boot Camp drivers. It will give you an error after installing a few things. However, it will get your sound working and will install ATI drivers (which are not supported in Vista).

5) You WILL need to install a 3rd party solution to get your keyboard functions working (e.g. right click) on the MBP.

It takes awhile but this is the easiest way I found to put Vista in Boot Camp.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 3, 2006, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by ccrider View Post
How long does the typical Windows XP installation take? Mine's been stuck on 39 minutes remaining for about an hour. Also, is 5gb enough? Could that be the problem? I formatted FAT32.

What should I do? Force reboot? [ouch...]
Thanks!

Man, whoulda thought we'd be talking about windows installations on macnn. Yick.
On ANY Intel Mac you should not see any stalls or delays, and the Windows installation progress should go FAST! It sounds like you do need to reboot-and maybe start over.

justmetoo
Forum Regular
Nov 6, 2006, 01:24 PM

This is my experience trying to get Windoze XP Pro SP2 OEM on a Mac Pro with the ATI X1900XT video card. The Bootcamp Mac drivers CD was either not installing the vc drivers, or they weren't being recognized and I was stuck in 4 color, 640 x 480 mode. When the computer was either shut down, or rebooted into OSX and then back into Win, the screen went black and I couldn't do anything but hard shut down.

Bootcamp 1.1.1 and 1.1.2, 3 Windoze partitions (2 wiped), numerous attempts at installing the Mac drivers (both BC versions) over and over again, New Hardware Wizard, yelling,..., all didn't work. I took the advice from another poster and downloaded drivers directly from ATI:

https://support.ati.com/ics/support/...ge&folderID=27
(you'll need the .NET Framework and Catalyst)

EVEN THEN, I had to install, install, install 3 times before they took and worked... I AM FINALLY OUT OF 4 COLOR HELL!!!

OEM version works and registered fine (there is some concern here as the BC pdf does NOT recommend using it...), and there were 66 patches to download...

daiSho
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2006, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by colbyjack70 View Post
Ok, i cant figure this out. I have installed Boot Camp, partitiond the drive got my drivers, and installed windows. I have a fresh copy of XP SP2. After the drive is formatted and it installs, and the computer restarts, it says window cannot load because the file Cwindows\system32\hal.dll is corrupted or missing. i have redone the install, reformatted the partiton, even destryed it and redone from scratch, but that file is still jacked. And i dont know DOS well enough to manually load the file on to the drive.

Any help you can throw my way will be greatly appreciated.
anyone have a resolution to this problem, or has seen the same thing? the reason i question whether this is related to a bad XP disk is that i had the exact same problem last night on my Mac Pro... using the same XP disk i used when i first bought the Mac Pro w/ Boot Camp. i was surprised to find that i cannot any longer complete an install of XP now, tried 3 times... each time upon the reboot i get the same msg about "Cwindows\system32\hal.dll is corrupted or missing".

the only thing that has changed w/ my Mac Pro in the interim since my initial XP install is that i upgraded my installed memory from 3GB's to 5G's... tonight i'm going to try pulling some of the ram to see if that is what is stopping XP from completing its install, would seem weird if so but its the only thing i can think of..!

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 13, 2006, 10:22 AM

A corrupt hal.dll file almost always comes from either a dirty disc or a glitch during the install. This file details how the "hardware abstraction layer" of the OS works and interfaces with both the hardware and the OS. Yep, it's important.

I'd try a reinstall (a "maintenance" or "in place" install in this case) after making sure the disc is immaculate and that you have VERY GOOD, VERY CLEAN AC POWER applied (as in use a UPS and everything).

daiSho
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2006, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
A corrupt hal.dll file almost always comes from either a dirty disc or a glitch during the install. This file details how the "hardware abstraction layer" of the OS works and interfaces with both the hardware and the OS. Yep, it's important.

I'd try a reinstall (a "maintenance" or "in place" install in this case) after making sure the disc is immaculate and that you have VERY GOOD, VERY CLEAN AC POWER applied (as in use a UPS and everything).
thx for your reply ghporter, i did double-check the disk for scratches and/or fingerprints but it is clean as a whistle, i did try pulling some of my memory last night and doing another install but i get the same error, missing or corrupt hal file... i also tried installing Vista just for the hell of it but its install program just kept telling me "no suitalbe filesystems for installation" (maybe Vista can only be installed on the Mac Pro as an upgrade install over XP?).

it is really odd though, as i stated before i was able to install XP from this same slipstreamed XP disk w/ the sata drivers embedded, thats why i am leery to use another disk as i don't want to deal w/ the bad sata performance again... is the sata issue corrected now w/ the latest boot camp version?

thx in advance all, would really like to get this working again..!

AlbertDeschesne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2006, 11:35 PM

Just a quick note to tell people of the trouble I had with installing XP on my new 24" iMac. I was able to slipstream my SP1 copy of xp to sp2 and install. When I got to the point when the computer would do it's first restart it wouldn't boot to the cd or drive, just a grey screen. I figured out that the machine has trouble booting to another drive partition while I had my ipod plugged into my usb hub. I disconnected the hub and everything went well. I was able to install my games and have been playing City of Heroes in all it's 1920x1200 goodness.

Anyway I hope this helps someone.

iMacfan
Senior User
Nov 30, 2006, 07:38 AM

Hello everyone,

Just a note to say that there are some (mostly older) applications out there that will simply refuse to work if not on a C:\ drive. On my Mac pro, my fist install on to a specific disk ended up with E:\ as the startup volume. The solution was to reinstall with the other drives disconnected. Everything works fine now.

David
( Last edited by ghporter; Nov 30, 2006 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Fixed the unintentional smileys.)
http://www.ppconmac.com - Mac compatability for your PocketPC!

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 30, 2006, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by iMacfan View Post
Hello everyone,

Just a note to say that there are some (mostly older) applications out there that will simply refuse to work if not on a C:\ drive. On my Mac pro, my fist install on to a specific disk ended up with E:\ as the startup volume. The solution was to reinstall with the other drives disconnected. Everything works fine now.

David
Apps that demand being on C:\ are indeed out there, but as iMacfan says, they're going to be older ones. Anything written for Windows 95 or later should respect the system's "program files" directory setting for its installation. However there are a number of relatively recent minor apps that assume C:\ is THE place to put temp stuff for an install (my Canon scanner's driver package does this), so WATCH THE INSTALLATION PROCESS CAREFULLY. Almost all programs let you change the install destination manually.

Kathy K
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2006, 04:24 PM

I need to host meetings with WebEx, which does not fully support Mac users as "hosts", according to their specs and techs. So, I either need to buy a PC, or a new Intel Mac - (which I would much rather do) so that I can run Windows thru Boot Camp.

Apple says this will work, WebEx says it won't.

I cannot test without actually buying a new Mac, which I don't want to do if I *have* to buy a PC.

I really hope someone has already hosted thru WebEx using Boot Camp and can reassure me that it works. Either way, I have to make a HW investment, but I want to buy what will definitely work.

Thanks!

leopard
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2006, 10:16 PM

Hi,
I got XP working on my MBP C2D (bootcamp 1.1.2). The installation was smooth.
However, I need to reset the clock everytime I reboot.. I thought this had been fixed already??

blueleaf
Dec 4, 2006, 10:42 PM

I have a 2.0 ghz, 1 gb Ram, 80 gig hard drive macbook...

will windows xp/boot camp run well on this system? To be honest, I don't care too much if windows XP is slow..im only gonna use it for dreamweaver and photoshop every once in awhile. What I really want to know is if it will slow down os x...

thanks in advance.

mojo5436
Jan 2, 2007, 05:30 PM

Installed XP SP 2 no problem. Had to slipstream using nlite, but was simple.

Only issue I have is when I'm playing Prey the fans spin up full speed (to be expected since the game is running at 1680 x 1050) after some graphic intense scenes the game will freeze for a couple seconds and the MBP will reboot. I'm thinking she's getting a little warm. Anyone with similar experience? BTW, Prey runs flawlessly with all settings maxed out. Very much impressed.
MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz C2D 2 GB SDRAM 7200 100GB Glossy
Power Mac G4/400Mhz/AGP Graphics

frisby
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2007, 12:11 AM

Has anyone run bootcamp and frontpage?

I'm looking to instal XP Home so I can update FP websites on my macbook and don't want to buy XP for $200 just to get burned.

If someone has Frontpage installed, can run it without BSOD and update wirelessly let me know.

Thats my $200 question.

Forum Links
Forum Rules