Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > PSP hand on report..

PSP hand on report.. (Page 24)
lavar78
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2005, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by waxcrash
Just got an e-mail from Sega. Virtua Tennis is now available on the PSP.
Now there's finally a PSP game I'd want to play.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

bells0
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 7, 2005, 08:46 AM

Been out in the UK since launch on Sept 1st - is a great game, perfectly suited to handhled play!

Bit frustrating building your players skills up in main play. Wish i knew someone who had another PSP though, playin another user would ROCK!!

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2005, 09:11 AM

I got my PSP upon Japanese release, and i'm seriously disappointed.
The PSP is awesome, it has amazing looks, great graphics and good battery life.
But where the HELL are the good games?
I havent seen a single interesting game for a few weeks now, and i consider myself a pretty 'hardcore' gamer.

Ham Sandwich
Oct 7, 2005, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Peter
I got my PSP upon Japanese release, and i'm seriously disappointed.
The PSP is awesome, it has amazing looks, great graphics and good battery life.
But where the HELL are the good games?
I havent seen a single interesting game for a few weeks now, and i consider myself a pretty 'hardcore' gamer.
Yeah, mine has been just basically sitting unused since I got it on the US release date. Keep thinking about selling it but don't want to miss out on the one game that someday may be released that I'd actually want to play on it for more than 15 minutes.

PBG4 User
Senior User
Oct 7, 2005, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by screamingFit
Yeah, mine has been just basically sitting unused since I got it on the US release date. Keep thinking about selling it but don't want to miss out on the one game that someday may be released that I'd actually want to play on it for more than 15 minutes.
Count me in the same boat as well. I sometimes use it to show home movies and pics of my son to my coworkers, but other than the (now) occasional bout with Lumines I barely use it anymore. I wonder if any good games will be out by Christmas?
20" iMac G5! :D AND MacBook 1.83GHz!
Canon Digital Rebel Kit + 75 - 300mm lens. Yum Yum! :D
Check out my OS X Musical Scales program

ajprice
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2005, 10:06 AM

Genius product!

A more powerful X2 battery and 4GB hard drive in the battery bay, it runs a small cable from the battery bay to the card slot, and away you go. All for £139! Who needs a memory stick .

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

ink
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2005, 10:28 AM

Keep thinking about selling it but don't want to miss out on the one game that someday may be released that I'd actually want to play on it for more than 15 minutes.
Chronotrigger, Final Fantasy 6, etc. ;-)

Ham Sandwich
Oct 7, 2005, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by ink
Chronotrigger, Final Fantasy 6, etc. ;-)
Not my type of games. I don't have time to play RPGs.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2005, 02:58 PM

the psp i bought just after launch i gave to my brother as a birthday present.

haven't really given it too much thought, nor followed game releases, latetly. today i started looking at buying another one, but the only games i wanted to get was burnout and virtua tennis.

hopefully fifa 06 will be better (faster, less pauses) than the 05 version. if that is the case, i will buy a psp the day fifa 06 comes out. here's hoping.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2005, 11:57 AM

10 million shipped. Fasted penetrating PS system. Selling like mad in Europe.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/press_r....php?aid=12424

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2005, 12:13 PM

I'll buy a PSP when it gets a killer ap.

As much as I ragged on the DS at first, I have to say, there are a lot of high quality games out for it... I've been pleasantly surprised.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2005, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by ort888
I'll buy a PSP when it gets a killer ap.

As much as I ragged on the DS at first, I have to say, there are a lot of high quality games out for it... I've been pleasantly surprised.

honestly, not one even appeals to me in the slightest and I like Nintendo games.

That dog game is stupid as hell.
( Last edited by Severed Hand of Skywalker; Oct 21, 2005 at 12:38 PM. )

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2005, 12:30 PM

Yeah, I skipped that one as well. All the fanboys on the Nintendo sites who were claiming it to be "teh bestest game evAr" got bored of it in a week as well.

Anyways, Castlevania and Advance Wars are both system sellers in my book. A+++ games.

Meteos, Wario Ware, and Trauma Center are all great games as well.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 21, 2005, 02:04 PM

I'll be buying a DS next month on payday. Mariokart for DS has my name written all over it. Online play is a bonus, but it would be nice to have online play on the console instead. Probably pick up a DS with Mariokart later for my girlfriend if I think she'll enjoy it.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

strictlyplaid
Senior User
Oct 21, 2005, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by PBG4 User
Count me in the same boat as well. I sometimes use it to show home movies and pics of my son to my coworkers, but other than the (now) occasional bout with Lumines I barely use it anymore. I wonder if any good games will be out by Christmas?
Now that I learned how to load an SNES emulator onto my PSP, I use it all the time. As for the actual PSP games, not so much.

GTA should be a killer app though... No pun intended. :-)

Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2005, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by goMac
I'll be buying a DS next month on payday. Mariokart for DS has my name written all over it. Online play is a bonus, but it would be nice to have online play on the console instead. Probably pick up a DS with Mariokart later for my girlfriend if I think she'll enjoy it.
Three cheers for you but this is actually a thread about the PSP not the DS.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

the macimum
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 21, 2005, 04:02 PM

Speaking of the PSP, does anyone know about any good emulators or ROMs for the psp? I already have a good managament app. It's called iPsp, it's actually pretty nice for dvd encoding, if you pay for it! http://ipsp.kaisakura.com/

Thanks, Jesse

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 21, 2005, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
Three cheers for you but this is actually a thread about the PSP not the DS.
I wasn't aware of that with all the other DS posts you and other people have made.

Sorry, I'll stay in the DS playground next time. Here, just have my lunch money and go.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2005, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by goMac
I wasn't aware of that with all the other DS posts you and other people have made.

Sorry, I'll stay in the DS playground next time. Here, just have my lunch money and go.
Meh ignore him. Hes probably just sore his beloved "PS" brand got canned by inferior hardware and superior games. It's weird how he says he "likes" Nintendo, but seems to always trash talk them at every single opportunity (even when theyre clearly doing better than the competition). if you ask me hes a fanboy to the max.

As for a portable system....ive never owned one. But with the price drop, Mario kart and free online play....im seriously very tempted to get one myself.

Oh... and since it's lamost tradition to trash talk Nintendo thanks to a couple of people on here, ill do my part:
Curse you Nintendo for having an affordable portable console with great games that even I want one now !

Cheers

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2005, 06:11 PM

Europe/PAL 2.53 million units (launch date: September 1, 2005)

That is in credible in a month and a half. Wait till GTA comes out
"That's okay, I'd like to keep it on manual control for a while."

ajprice
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2005, 06:35 PM

As of today there is Version 2.6 software available, basically adding RSS channels to the network menu and WMA file compatibility to the Music menu, adding to the LocationFree player from 2.5. I'm still on v2.0 with mine, and no update since has had a killer feature to make me want to update the firmware (I'm in the UK so LocationFree is useless, RSS just seems a bit meh, and I'm on a Mac, so WMA files are of no interest either). Has anyone else here upgraded higher than v2.0??

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

bells0
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 30, 2005, 07:41 AM

Was happy on 1.5 for obvious reasons, but got Evo5 yesterday which has forced me to update to version 2.0 [and no, it is as GTA and won't let u use the wab version changer].

So will stay at 2.0 until bored of footy and go back down to 1.5 if that is still possible.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2005, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by RonnieoftheRose
Best graphics ever

VS

Not exactly a tough one.

Ham Sandwich
Nov 30, 2005, 11:15 AM

Sold my PSP and all the games I had (6) a couple of weeks ago. Originally purchased it on launch day with dreams of it being all that and a bag of chips. Tired, boring games, ergonomics to the point of pain after 15 minutes, horrible load times, crappy battery life. What a waste of time and money.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2005, 11:57 AM

Sold my PSP and all the games I had (6) a couple of weeks ago. Originally purchased it on launch day with dreams of it being all that and a bag of chips. Tired, boring games, ergonomics to the point of pain after 15 minutes, horrible load times, crappy battery life. What a waste of time and money.
I still can't get mine back. Kim stole it the day after I bought it, so I bought another. Sarra took that one 2 days later. I would say something, but they just love `em too much. *sigh* Oh well, I think they're buying me one for Yule.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 30, 2005, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey
VS

Not exactly a tough one.
I'm sorry, I played Battlefront for PSP the other day, and I thought the graphics were pretty lame. X-Wing for Mac in 1997 almost looked better.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2005, 01:04 PM

All the features they keep adding to it make me love mine more. Now I encode BSG's to watch on the road in widescreen glory, no iPod video with the dinky screen for me!

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2005, 02:13 PM

So apparently a nice little hidden feature of the new 2.6 firmware is support for full-resolution 480x270 video. So far it's only available through downloads from Sony's japanese pay service (since it also now supports playing those encrypted videos) but it shows that it can be done, and i'm sure it won't be long before someone figures out how to transcode playable videos at that res.

"I start fires!"

Ham Sandwich
Nov 30, 2005, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
All the features they keep adding to it make me love mine more. Now I encode BSG's to watch on the road in widescreen glory, no iPod video with the dinky screen for me!
The feature they never added for me was a good game.

Oh, and a way to hook up an external controller.

For watching videos on the go, I guess it's pretty cool. But, I originally purchased it to play games.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2005, 02:56 PM

The feature they never added for me was a good game.

Oh, and a way to hook up an external controller.

For watching videos on the go, I guess it's pretty cool. But, I originally purchased it to play games.

Oh well, guess it is not your thing. Best you got rid of it then.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Forum Links
Forum Rules