Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How important is bluetooth to you?

How important is bluetooth to you?
fishguy
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 2, 2004, 03:53 PM

Contemplating an order with Amazon but then I would not have the option of bluetooth. Other than for using a wireless mouse what might I be missing out on by net getting it?

Turias
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2004, 03:57 PM

If you are thinking of getting a cellphone with BT support, the ability to sync contacts is great. And along the same lines, Salling Clicker is quite the fun app.

MARINEOSX
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 2, 2004, 04:01 PM

also if you have the built in bt with some phones that have internet capability you can use your phone as the modem and get online anywere on their network this can be expensive t-mobile has the best deal at 29.99 extra per month for unlimited access this is also a very slow connection but it works.
Bless those that sacrifice for us all.

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2004, 04:08 PM

I wouldn't purchase another computer without it. Especially a laptop. It's got a few handy features now, and it's only the tip of the ice burg. Syncing is great, using it as modem is great, using a wireless keyboard and mouse is also very nice. I just with some of the accessories didn't cost so much.

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2004, 04:15 PM

I don't need it. I have a wireless mouse already and have no intention on ever having a cellphone with bluetooth support (or ever using it). My Palm does not have BT support so I didn't see any use of BT at all.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

nJm
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 2, 2004, 08:22 PM

My iBook didn't come with bluetooth either, but I did buy the D-Link usb adaptor and I love it! I use it with my Sony Ericsson T610. I can get the photos I take off it, I can send any MIDI file to the phone to use as a polyphonic ringtone, it syncs my address book, etc.

It actually makes all the features of my mobile phone useful! Now that I'm considering upgrading to a K700i it is even cooler, as that has a built in MP3 player so I could send my MP3s over to it via Bluetooth.
MBP 2.16ghz 15"
iMac G5 1.6Ghz 17"
Powermac 7200/120

iluvmymactoo
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2004, 10:43 PM

I have the D-link, I never use BT when using battery power as it eats it up.

The only reason I do use BT is with my Apple BT mouse and the occasional sync of my mobile address book.

Not having it built in is no big deal for me.
PowerBook 12" Combo 1.5Ghz 1.25GB Ram 100GB HDD - Yep it's PPC! I'll wait for the 3rd generation MacTel when they're at their best :)

Abit667
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2004, 11:29 PM

You could always go and do something like this

I plan on doing this with my iBook as I never thought I'd need BT until after I didn't order it Looks like a really simple mod, should be nice and easy.

Centris650
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2004, 03:19 PM

Originally posted by Abit667:
You could always go and do something like this

I plan on doing this with my iBook as I never thought I'd need BT until after I didn't order it Looks like a really simple mod, should be nice and easy.
Wow! Very cool.

I however don't need BT. I MIGHT be interested in using my 17" monitor and wireless KB and mouse with my new iBook but it's just not worth the cost for me. I ordered from Amazon this week and didn't flinch at loosing the BTO BT option. I did want a larger HD but with what I'm paying I can live with 30GB for now!
><> 1 Peter 3:15-16

Mike656
Nov 3, 2004, 07:34 PM

I wouldn't know what I would do without it now, I have my PowerBook, Mobile Phone, headset, and wireless mouse all with BT. The best parts for me are the video or audio iChat's can be done with the headset, and I can control my phone with BluePhoneMenu, which makes sending and recieving SMS far easier (right from my PowerBook ).

hanzo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2004, 08:02 PM

BT is very important for me.

In fact, I am viewing/posting in this forum using my SE P900 as a GPRS modem bluetoothed to my PC laptop right now.

BT is so important for me that I'd immediately purchase an ibook through amazon but I'm at a pause since it's sans internal BT.

BT technology started out slow in the past, but it's gaining popularity. Too bad that Microsoft can't even manage driver issues with bluetooth. I spent 2 days trying to get my billionton BT dongle to work with win xp pro sp2... I basically had to "hack" through some settings to get it to work.

Then just the other day, I visited the apple store in ala moana mall, clicked the BT icon on the powerbook and searched... tada! No missed search or mix up, found it and all the other surrounding devices broadcasting within 10secs. I need to switch back to apple...
12" iBook G4 | 1.2Ghz | 1.25Gb RAM
Sony Ericsson P900

robby818
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2004, 11:14 PM

it wasn't important to me until i got a nokia 6230 and unlimited internet access from cingular for $20/month. now it is a necessity. the nice thing about bluetooth is that it is actually really reliable. linking devices is almost too easy- even with my windows xp laptop bluetooth pretty much works wo a lot of hassle.

the d link adapter which i currently use isnt terrible, but it certainly would be nice to have it all inside the machine. the amazon deal is really good though. i priced one and i think i got it down to around $830 after rebate. i qualify for the edu discount so from apple the same machine w/ bluetooth and the 60 gig drive would cost me $1150 after taxes. so $300 for an extra 30 gigs and internal bluetooth- not really worth it.

A Ghost Is Born
Forum Regular
Nov 4, 2004, 12:07 AM

bt isn't too important to me however as a mobile user. my campus, home, work, and friend's homes are all wifi so i get internet access that way. i don't care for a PDA so wirelessly syncing is fine. i don't have a bt cellphone, nor do i think that I want one. i have internet access on my own. this would only be useful if i went a road trip without routing wifi hotspots into the mix.

AleroLeanne
Forum Regular
Nov 4, 2004, 12:35 AM

BT is definitely not something I would use. I can't see ever connecting to the internet with my cell phone and I don't have so many contacts that I need to 'sync' them. I also dislike cordless mice and keyboards...I have a wired mouse for my laptop and it really doesn't need to be that far away from the usb port.

The only advantage I can see to using BT (for myself) is if I had a desktop computer and wanted to relax at my desk or sit somewhere else in the room and work the keyboard and mouse - on my lap with the keyboard perhaps. But I don't see BT as that big a feature for me.

233mhz iMac � 1.2ghz iBook G4 � 4gig Pink iPod mini "sweet pea"

troymurray
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 17, 2004, 12:15 AM

I've had limited experience with BT, some on a Dell laptop with a HP 995ck printer and a SE608 phone as well as a Apple PowerBook with the same devices.

Apple wins hands down with ease of use and setting everything up to "just work". I was never able to get the Dell to sync with the phone, after 5 months, but am able to print to the printer.

Since I have Verizon Wireless for phone service, BT isn't really avaliable in a decent phone, so I don't think it's that big of a deal to me right now. I can also purchase the D-Link BT dongle if needed.
Troy Murray

Dougmc
Forum Regular
Nov 25, 2004, 11:00 PM

Originally posted by robby818:
it wasn't important to me until i got a nokia 6230 and unlimited internet access from cingular for $20/month. now it is a necessity. the nice thing about bluetooth is that it is actually really reliable. linking devices is almost too easy- even with my windows xp laptop bluetooth pretty much works wo a lot of hassle...
I'm curious, are you connecting to your Mac with your 6230 via Bluetooth AND using Cingular's EDGE network?

I've had a tough time confirming that you can, in fact, connect to their EDGE network while using Bluetooth. On the Cingular website parenthetically it makes me feel that it can't.

Quoting Cingular:
"Multiple data communication modes: EDGE (with optical cable), Bluetooth, and Infrared"
17" PowerBook (delivered 4/2/2003) | www.mcschooler.com

V12
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 26, 2004, 12:15 AM

I <3 BLUETOOTH

i can get pics off my v600 and put mp3 ringtones on it, as well as use it for a internet connection when i travel

Forum Links
Forum Rules