Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > I have questions about my new iMac Core Duo

I have questions about my new iMac Core Duo
S_Young
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2006, 10:13 PM

Just got my 20" iMac Core Duo set up, and I have a few observations/questions:

1) Upon carefully removing the iMac from its packaging, I noticed a couple of smudges on the screen (they came off with a bit of careful cleaning). Upon closer inspection, the entire white casing appeared to be covered in small 'scratches' that are only visible in strong light. There are also few light scuffs here and there. I started to get paranoid that I might have been given a refurbished machine, but it would be more rational to assume that all iMacs arrive in this condition, given that it was built-to-order. I might add that the box, peripherals and computer itself show no other signs of use. Did anyone else's iMac arrive with these slight imperfections? Are they to simply be expected, given the nature of the casing?

2) The screen itself seems perfect - no dead pixels or uneven brightness - but appears to be mounted about half a millimeter too far to the right. I suppose the screen is attached to the case by human hand, so there is a bound to be some inaccuracy. Does anyone else have a similar issue?

3) I went for the 250GB option and got a Maxtor HDD. I was reading on here a while back that the Maxtor 160GB drives were pretty noisy compared to the Western Digital 160GB drives. Does the same argument apply to the 250GB drives, i.e. are there two makes being used, one being quieter/better than the other? To be honest, although I can just about hear it in a noise-free environment, the Maxtor 250GB seems pretty quiet to my ears. What makes are other people's 250GB drives?

4) I bought a mini-DVI -> video cable from a local Apple reseller so that I could hook up my iMac to my TV and span with it. However, on the packaging it said it was for the 12" PowerBook - no mention of the new iMac. Lo and behold, after connecting it up and running an S-Video lead to my TV, it doesn't appear to work. Is the current mini-DVI -> video cable different from the one I bought? They look identical on the Apple Store website, but mine was presumably manufactured before the iMac was announced. I assumed that the sockets on the iMac and 12" PowerBook would work similarly, but it looks like I was wrong. Anyone have any experience with these leads? Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Cheers!

jwoods
Forum Regular
Mar 15, 2006, 12:51 AM

In response to your questions......(from my experience)

1. I noticed smudges on the screen. They were easy to clean off and I attributed them to my own hands while taking it out of the bag. No scuffs, but I do see light scratches. This plastic attracts dust like nobodies business....I may have cause those wiping it off.

2. Mine seems perfectly mounted, but come on.....a HALF of a millimeter? Now, you are just being picky LOL.

3. I have a Maxtor drive (250GB). I don't hear it doing normal stuff. If everyone is out of the house, and it's very quite......I can hear a slight whirl here and there when accessing the disk.

4. No experience, no comment.

Overall, I'd say you have a brand new iMac and from what you describe...seems like everything is fine.

gambo
Mar 15, 2006, 01:04 AM

Srry guys my intel imac is PERFECT no tiny scratches screen is fine! Call apple and complain they should send u another and if u play your cards right you may even get a free gifrt out of it!

larrinski
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 15, 2006, 01:55 AM

My intel imac 20 " had a faulty keyboard, but the 250Gb Western Digital HD is a little louder than whatever I had in my imac G5 1st gen. Quieter than my ibook HD though. Other than that, everything was put together fine. I would call and complain. I had a problem with my imac G5 and they sent me a new intel imac...It was a very happy day.
My Blog-pakos.me

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2006, 02:43 AM

I had 3 iMacs in the past 2 months (1 x G5 and 2 x Core Duos), and ALL had tiny fine scratches all over it. Its normal - a trait of the plastic used.

My first Core Duo machine came with a seagate drive. It was VERY noisy! So noisy, that I got Apple to take it back and replace it with a new iMac. This one came with a Western Digital drive, and its MUCH quiter.
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

dale
Forum Regular
Mar 15, 2006, 06:55 AM

Hi I got my new 20" Intel iMac on Sunday. My display appears mounted about 1.5mm off centre also to the right (I did notice this before reading this post.

What is more annoying is the CD/DVD drive. When I import music CD's into iTunes, I get a buzzing noise that can only be drowned out by playing music at half volume. Is this behavior normal ?? Should I be taking this back to the apple store for replacement?

Unfortunately, the apple store I bought this from was like bedlam the day I tried it out. You could have landed a jumbo on the sales counter and you wouldnt have heard it!!

toddtmw
Forum Regular
Mar 15, 2006, 12:18 PM

I bought a mini-dvi to video adapter at my local Apple store. I haven't tried S-video, but the RCA video works fine. Maybe you could try the RCA vide just to make sure you have everything set right.

I didn't notice any smudges or scratches, but I was too busy using it to go over it with a magnifying glass.

-Todd.
The moderators in this forum have too much time on their hands.

acorder
Forum Regular
Mar 16, 2006, 12:22 AM

No noticeable scratches on mine, though I don't use it in bright, harsh, direct light. My screen seems almost tilted, like the top left is ever so slightly farther from the case than the bottom left (meaning the black gap is wider). However, with the screen being so large and pretty, I don't notice it when I'm actually using the machine. My Maxtor 250GB drive is quiet during normal use, only causing much volume when starting up or waking from sleep. Even when it spins up during normal operation it's not noticeable if you aren't listening for it.

eddiecatflap
Baninated
Mar 16, 2006, 02:31 AM

i'm getting a slight buzzing / grating sound from the lhs , but compared to the vacuum cleaner levels of noise my G4imac made it's not that bad

my G3imac was REALLY noisy

vandelay
Mar 17, 2006, 06:22 PM

I got my iMac yesterday and it has two very small black spots, like from a fine pen, inside the case under the screen. This is no huge deal, but still, it bothers me a little bit. Customer service gave me the option to either have it exchanged or get 50 Euros back. Since it doesn't have any other obvious faults, like defective pixels etc., im not sure if i want to have it exchanged and maybe get one without any cosmetic faults, but a dead pixel or two.

Any suggestions?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 17, 2006, 09:33 PM

I'd exchange it.

larrinski
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2006, 01:37 AM

Me to. Get a new one.
My Blog-pakos.me

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2006, 01:52 AM

1. i think you mean swirl marks, not scratches..if thats the case its normal to notice them in very very very close inspection, if they are indeed scratches...return it.

2. .5mm?...you really could notice that difference while sitting and using the computer?

3. i have no idea about hard drive audio issues...:shrug:

4. the 12" powerbook adapter is the same adapter for the imac...no difference, infact i use the adapter that came with my 12" powerbook to connect my imac to my dell 20" adapter. just so you guys know...the imac supports portrait and landscape views on adjustable screens...although widescreen > vertical aspect.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

vandelay
Mar 18, 2006, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by mduell
I'd exchange it.
Yeah, i'm leaning that way, considering the thing cost me me almost 2000 Euros, with maxed out HD and VRAM.

S_Young  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2006, 01:15 PM

Thanks for all the responses! To all the questions:

1) Aside from the "swirl marks", there are indeed a couple of light scratches. I'm not too bothered about them...they just made me a little suspicious, but I was probably just being paranoid.

2) I didn't measure the difference, but the black gap on the right of the screen is clearly half the width of the one on the left. Again, I'm not too bothered...at least my screen is mounted straight.

3) So the Seagate drive is apparently the noisiest, followed by the Maxtor and the Western Digital. I can live with that, although I have been noticing my Maxtor drive more and more in daily use.

4) I still can't get my mini-DVI -> video adaptor to work. I'll be exchanging it next week, but if that doesn't fix the problem, I'll assume the iMac is at fault and return it for a new one.

I also noticed another, more irksome problem:

5) When viewing anything with a very dark background (such as a widescreen movie in fullscreen mode), all four corners of the 20" screen are noticeably brighter than the centre and sides. It is especially distracting when viewing movies or slideshows in a darkened room. Anyone else noticed this?

If I can't get desktop spanning to work, and the uneven screen brightness continues to bother me, I will be sending the iMac back for a replacement. What is the usual procedure for doing this? Must I arrange a courier, or will Apple send one out? Also, am I allowed to keep the faulty machine until the replacement arrives?

Cheers!

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2006, 01:39 PM

i have seen the uneven brightness problem on every 20" imac (g5 or intel) i have ever come in contact with. i also notice the uneven brighteness on my new dell 2001FP alongside an older 2001FP that i recently sold. some have less, some have more, but i have never seen a 20" screen with none. some say the 20" acd doesn't suffer with this issue, i cant comment on that statement though.

larrinski
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 19, 2006, 01:12 AM

I can't say that I have had the colour brightness issue on either of my imacs. As for the return, I have experience with that. Once you get someone at customer relations to agree to send you a replacement, you will get an email with the UPS labels. Print them out and attach to the box. Phone for a pickup. Once it has been picked up Apple sends the replacement. I did my backup & erase and off the old girl went... I was without my computer for about a week. Good luck.
My Blog-pakos.me

S_Young  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 1, 2006, 11:57 AM

I just got off the phone with Apple's After Sales Support (or ASS as I shall now call them). Basically, they are refusing to replace my iMac because I'm four days over the fourteen day return period. I had intended to sort the problem out last week, but had to leave town for a week on urgent business and did not get a chance.

So, because of unforeseen circumstances, I - a loyal Apple customer who has bought two iMacs, a PowerBook, two iPods, countless bits of software and various peripherals - must stick with my less-than-satisfactory computer and wait for Apple to repair it. Needless to say, I am not a happy bunny. Even if the video-out DID work correctly, and I was prepared to put up with the bright spots on the screen and the noisy hard drive, I would STILL be annoyed at the less-than-perfect condition it arrived in.

Come Monday, Apple are going to get a piece of my mind. This is NOT the way to treat loyal customers, especially if they want my business in future.

hezekiahb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 1, 2006, 12:20 PM

have u read my post?

check for hairline cracks on your imac. located below ports and side of the power button.
tell me whats up?

S_Young  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 1, 2006, 12:30 PM

Even if I had noticed any of these "cracks" on my iMac, they would be the least of my worries.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2006, 01:16 PM

sorry s_young...that really sucks. hope the repair fixes it up to you liking.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 1, 2006, 02:34 PM

In exchange for buying maybe $10k in Apple products you expect special treatment? Please.

Given your timeline, you waited until 3 days before your 14-day period ended and still didn't call? You didn't have any time to call Apple while on your week-long business trip?

/no sympathy here

S_Young  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 1, 2006, 02:57 PM

I don't expect special treatment, but I do expect that a company like Apple, who pride themselves on excellent customer service and ease-of-use, would try to be as helpful and understanding as possible when it comes to human error and difficult circumstances.

And yes, when you have given a company $10,000 worth of custom, you expect that they bend over backwards to help you. Call me naive, call me overly optimistic or precious - but that is how I think a decent company should be run.

S_Young  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2006, 06:40 AM

Good news!

After talking to technical support - who confirmed that I had a faulty machine - I phoned ASS to argue the case further. To my surprise, they agreed to exchange my iMac for a brand new one! TNT will call to arrange collection within 48 hours, and my replacement iMac is on order.

Hopefully the next one will have:

1. A correctly functioning mini-DVI socket
2. More even screen brightness
3. A Western Digital HDD
4. Fewer scratches on the casing

I'll still be extremely happy with it if only points 1 & 2 are addressed, as I can live with the Maxtor HDD and a few light scratches.

Kudos to Apple for making my day!

iREZ
Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2006, 03:45 PM

theres the ASS i know...

S_Young  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2006, 05:07 PM

Better the ASS you know than the ASS you don't...

larrinski
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 4, 2006, 12:05 AM

the ASS took care of me as well. ASS is even good up in Canada...
My Blog-pakos.me

volcano
Senior User
Apr 4, 2006, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by S_Young
2. More even screen brightness
4. Fewer scratches on the casing
Those two are not going to happen. Don't set yourself up for disappointment.

First of all, the outer casing is made from acrylic, which attracts dust and scratches just like an iPod. Fortunately, you won't be lugging around your iMac in your pocket all day long - so you won't have to worry about it.

Second, as for the screen brightness - every iMac has it. Every. One. Go to an Apple store, view a black background on every iMac you can get your hands on - and you'll notice it. I special-ordered by iMac last year (upped the hard-drive to 400GB, which was the max at the time) and I noticed the same thing you're mentioning when I started watching my Donnie Darko DVD. Unfortunately, this should be expected - due to the fact that all the components of the computer (hard-drive, logic board, optical drive, processor, etc) are lcoated directly behind the LCD. Luckily, my bright spots diminished somewhat within the first week or two of owning my iMac - and I've had no qualms with it since.

You must also remember that with the brightness turned all the way up, the iMac's screen (with normal "Mac" calibration) is very, very bright. Very bright. Want a good laugh? Take a picture (without using a flash, of course) of those bright spots the next time you watch your DVD. Post them to a forum like this, and then hop on your Windows PC (or your friends PC, with a lower-quality, less-bright monitor) and the same pictures you posted as being "problematic" will look perfect on it - with an even blackness all across the screen. Guaranteed.

Regardless, good luck - and enjoy your new Mac (when it arrives)!

S_Young  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2006, 10:15 AM

Well, the replacement arrived today, and the old one went back.

Unfortunately, the bright spots on the new one are even worse than on the old. It's now highly distracting when viewing DVDs or QuickTime movies full-screen, and something I'm afraid I can't live with. It's a shame, because the video-out now works perfectly and the case isn't quite so covered in scratches.

I was fully prepared to be happy with whatever I got today, but I feel like the problem has gone from bad to worse. Maybe me and the iMac are simply not meant to be? Perhaps I would be better off with a Mac Mini and an Apple Cinema Display or Dell monitor?

UPDATE: I just got off the phone with Apple and they have agreed to refund my iMac and AppleCare. It will be sad to see it go, and it will take time to readjust to my PowerBook G4, but I'm happy to save my money for the new PowerMacs. Sure, they will be on the pricey side, but if there's one thing I've learnt from all this, it's that you get what you pay for.
( Last edited by S_Young; Apr 7, 2006 at 11:07 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules