Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > Upgrading iMac...

Upgrading iMac...
CobraMantis
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2002, 03:15 AM

Hey folks.
Silly question. I bought a 15" iMac 700mhz a few months ago, and absolutely love it. I was wondering, however, if it is possible to upgrade the video cards on any of the machines in the iMac line, or if that was something that can only be done with the Power Macs. The GeForce2 MX that came with it is decent for most types of applications, but I'd really like to be able to play the newer games coming out (at mid-high settings would be nice). I'd really like to upgrade to a GF3 if possible (as I think I'd need a faster CPU to make use of the GF4Ti). So...can the iMac's video card be upgraded?

Thanks in advance
CobraMantis

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2002, 03:36 AM

Nope. Unfortunetly, I'm pretty sure the Video Card is actually the components of a GeForce 2 soldered onto the motherboard. Which means no replacement. But I used to have a geForce 2 in my PowerMac (until I upgraded it ) And I had no problem playing 3D games at healthy resolutions. I actually only upgraded to a GeForce 4 for the twin view, and the quartz extreme.
I got a good deal on it and sold my GF2 for a good price to so hey!

bstone
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2002, 06:06 AM

Originally posted by l008com:
Nope. Unfortunetly, I'm pretty sure the Video Card is actually the components of a GeForce 2 soldered onto the motherboard. Which means no replacement. But I used to have a geForce 2 in my PowerMac (until I upgraded it ) And I had no problem playing 3D games at healthy resolutions. I actually only upgraded to a GeForce 4 for the twin view, and the quartz extreme.
I got a good deal on it and sold my GF2 for a good price to so hey!
Sad but true. There are processor upgrades available for these beasties but it seems video card upgrades are out of the question. I would love to upgrade the video on my Powerbook Pismo, but for now I have to settle with a G4/500 upgrade (tho I do think they can make it a wee bit faster than that).

COmie JOe
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 15, 2002, 03:50 PM

Originally posted by bstone:

Sad but true. There are processor upgrades available for these beasties but it seems video card upgrades are out of the question. I would love to upgrade the video on my Powerbook Pismo, but for now I have to settle with a G4/500 upgrade (tho I do think they can make it a wee bit faster than that).
You sure about processor upgrades for the FP iMac? because the processor is actualy on the Logic board...

bartman00
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 19, 2002, 11:22 PM

there is no cpu upgrade for a FP imac!
Powermac Sawtooth w/ 1.3ghz overclocked GigaDesigns 1ghz cpu
iBook G3-900

Forum Links
Forum Rules