Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > some help installing Fink (very basic)

some help installing Fink (very basic)
grey
Oct 16, 2002, 11:35 AM

pretty n00bish question..

I'm running 10.2.1, fink 0.4.1. I have NOT installed developer.pkg yet (should i? i dont plan on compiling anything from source, just using binaries)

i installed fink as per the documentation on the website, but first I followed the "quick start" method from the download page:

http://fink.sourceforge.net/download/index.php

(meaning i ran fink scanpackages, dselect, had it automatically download and install like 83 packages i think including xfree86-base...)

er, now what?

according to this part of the documentation ( http://fink.sourceforge.net/doc/x11/...ree86.php#fink ) i used the dselect frontend to download precompiled binaries..

but i didn't see it download xfree86-rootless, and i don't see XDarwin.app in my applications folder yet (according to this page http://fink.sourceforge.net/doc/x11/run-xfree86.php )

do i need to go back into dselect and get it to install the xfree86-rootless package?

edit: here's what it says when i type "startx -- -fullscreen" in terminal.app:

Code:
[PowerbookG4:~] greyvdm% startx -- -fullscreen xinit: No such file or directory (errno 2): no server "/usr/X11R6/bin/X" in PATH Use the -- option, or make sure that /usr/X11R6/bin is in your path and that "/usr/X11R6/bin/X" is a program or a link to the right type of server for your display. Possible server names include: XFree86 XFree86 displays XDarwin Darwin/Mac OS X IOKit displays XDarwinQuartz Mac OS X Quartz displays XDarwinStartup Auto-select between XDarwin and XDarwinQuartz xinit: Server error. [PowerbookG4:~] greyvdm%
( Last edited by grey; Oct 16, 2002 at 11:42 AM. )

grey  (op)
Oct 16, 2002, 12:42 PM

i tried running dselect again for the hell of it, tried to select the xchat package, let it select the recommended changes.. then i went to (I)nstall and it listed the xchat binaries and some gnome stuff it required to run i guess, but it also selected a bunch of packages to remove! some of them were essential!

so i didn't allow it to continue installing/removing and returned to dselect...

right off the bat, i notice some things are already tagged for removal in the Up-To-date Required Packages section... so tried tagging them with "=" to leave them alone, but that only caused a conflict notice... i don't get it :|

i'll show you what it wants to do when i select the xchat package:

Code:
Reading Package Lists... Done Building Dependency Tree... Done The following packages will be REMOVED: apt apt-shlibs debianutils dpkg fink gzip ncurses tar xchat-ssl The following NEW packages will be installed: aquaterm f2c fftw fftw-shlibs fort77 gmt gnuplot gri hdf hdf5 hdf5-bin hdf5-shlibs libjpeg libpng netcdf numeric octave pari-gp pgplot r-base r-recommended rasmol scientificpython singular-factory singular-libfac spice texinfo xchat yorick yorick-doc WARNING: The following essential packages will be removed This should NOT be done unless you know exactly what you are doing! apt apt-shlibs (due to apt) debianutils dpkg gzip (due to dpkg) tar (due to dpkg) ncurses (due to dpkg) fink 0 packages upgraded, 30 newly installed, 9 to remove and 0 not upgraded. Need to get 75.7MB of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used. You are about to do something potentially harmful To continue type in the phrase 'Yes, do as I say!' ?]
notice the stuff it wants to REMOVE? should i just let it go ahead and do what it wants?

Detrius
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2002, 01:50 PM

I would hope that the answer would be obvious... NO you should not let it uninstall all those packages. They are NECESSARY.

I would recommend installing the developer tools and use the fink command to install packages. My reasoning for this: the latest versions of the software are available in source, not in binary. There are many many many packages available in source that are not available in binary.

Also, next time, post this in the UNIX forum.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

grey  (op)
Oct 16, 2002, 02:07 PM

thanks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules