Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Intel iMac HD upgrade

Intel iMac HD upgrade
scottajronan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2011, 10:11 AM

I am considering upgrading my white Intel iMac 2.33ghz hard drive to a 2TB drive and was wondering if anyone on here had tried that and if so where there any tips you could give me. I have had a look at Ifixit and its does'nt look to complex however for me to buy the HD from them would be too expensive as I am located in the UK and they only list a Hitachi drive and a Western Digital one but dont say exactly which particular model, can any of you guys advise on one ?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2011, 12:36 PM

Most drives will work just fine. Personally I like WD at the moment. Grab a 7200rpm WD Black from scan.co.uk.

Something like this:
Scan.co.uk: Western Digital 2TB Caviar Black Hard Drive - HDD - WD2001FASS

Failing that, give them a call. They are unbelievably knowledgable when it comes to any kind of hard disk. They will steer you right.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Radioflyer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2011, 01:50 PM

oops
Cheers
RadioFlyer

scottgh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2011, 01:51 PM

If you're in the US, I buy most of my hardware for my Macs at Other World Computing, Performance Upgrades; FireWire USB SATA Storage; Memory, more at OWC. I believe the drive suggested above is here:

2.0TB Western Digital 'Caviar BLACK' 7200RP... (WD2001FASS) at OWC

The Other World people know Macs, they know their products and their prices are very competitive. Hope this helps.

scottajronan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2011, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Most drives will work just fine. Personally I like WD at the moment. Grab a 7200rpm WD Black from scan.co.uk.

Something like this:
Scan.co.uk: Western Digital 2TB Caviar Black Hard Drive - HDD - WD2001FASS

Failing that, give them a call. They are unbelievably knowledgable when it comes to any kind of hard disk. They will steer you right.
Thanks they have that drive on Amazon for £79 I may go for it. Have any of you actually upgraded the disk in an intel iMac

davidflas
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2011, 02:02 PM

I upgraded my white 2Ghz 17" iMac, and it was a fair amount of work, but I was successful. It was the first time I had taken apart an all-in-one machine, but it wasn't as daunting as I thought beforehand. Here's a link that helped me.. iMac Intel - iFixit
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2011, 06:19 AM

I've upgraded lots of them.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

scottajronan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2011, 07:54 PM

Going to order the drive later this week and give it a try. Can anyone reccomend the tools I will need? I guess a set or Torx screwdrivers but is there anything else?

Rev2Liv
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 11, 2011, 03:39 PM

Why don't you folks upgrade to a 2TB Seagate Barracuda XT 7200rpm?
Internal Hard Drive | Barracuda XT Desktop Hard Drive | Seagate | Seagate
IF you're going to do all that work, might as well fit in the best.

scottajronan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2011, 04:58 PM

What does that offer over the Western Digital ?

scottajronan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2011, 11:50 AM

Okay I have another couple of questions. Does the speed matter a great deal will having a 5900 rpm disk make a great deal of difference over a 7200 rpm disk ? and should I avoid low power and green disks ?

amazing
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2011, 01:57 PM

The ifixit.com guide will tell you what tools you need.

Tip: print out 2 copies of the guide, tape the screws directly to one copy, exactly as they come out of the iMac. Best worry-free solution to keeping track of all the screws, makes it a piece of cake.

Rev2Liv
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 12, 2011, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by amazing View Post
The ifixit.com guide will tell you what tools you need.

Tip: print out 2 copies of the guide, tape the screws directly to one copy, exactly as they come out of the iMac. Best worry-free solution to keeping track of all the screws, makes it a piece of cake.
I take high rez images of all the internals, print them out, and then put the screws against the pictures. It can be a bit tedious with multiple layer machines, but it's a thorough method tried and trued

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 13, 2011, 05:29 AM

Its not really necessary on these iMacs. Its just 3 or 4 screws and the memory door on the bottom edge, then two for the display cable and 8 holding the panel in place. HDD is clipped in place in a frame. Transfer the frame and reverse the process. Don't forget the temp sensor glued to the original drive. You'll need to transfer that too.

scottajronan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2011, 03:57 AM

Thanks Guys, I'm doing the memory on it first and then the HD next month when I get my bonus.

Forum Links
Forum Rules