Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Put portfolio on hybrid CD-ROM?

Put portfolio on hybrid CD-ROM?
tonbo0422
Forum Regular
Jun 11, 2003, 12:14 PM

I'd love to put my portfolio (website) on a CD which will open automatically on a Windows or Mac box, presumably using the autostart feature in Toast for the Mac, but I can't find any info sources that describe the process perfectly (they're all a bit vague, like the one here.)

I kind of understand the process, but do I have to partition the CD into two equal parts, duplicating all the files for each partition? That makes it too big to fit on, say, a business card CD-ROM .

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance.

bojangles
Senior User
Jun 13, 2003, 11:31 AM

Unfortunately, Mac OS X doesn't support autostart.

Besides that, you should be able to create an autorun.inf file for Windows and use Toast�s Autostart feature for the Mac side. The appropriate file will launch, based on what the OS knows to do.

(I've never done this myself, but from what little I know about it, it should work....
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never tell if they’re attributed to the right person.”
—Abraham Lincoln

Lucidwray
Jun 16, 2003, 10:10 PM

Ive done with a portfolio cd once. The way to do it is to create a "Custom Hybrid" disc. Choose "Custom Hybrid" from the other menu in toast and then select a mac disk image and a ISO disc image for windows.

You can use Disc Copy in your utilities folder to create the disk images. Mount them like they are local harddrives by clicking on them and then copy whatever files you want to each. Close them, open toast and select them and burn a disc. It will create a dual format cd for ya.
nolo contendere: A legal term meaning: "I didn't do it, judge, and I'll never do it again."

tonbo0422  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 16, 2003, 10:29 PM

Thanks! I tried it and it works. Let's hope the Windows geeks can see it (it worked in VPC for me.)

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2003, 11:56 AM

Originally posted by tonbo0422:
Thanks! I tried it and it works. Let's hope the Windows geeks can see it (it worked in VPC for me.)
Well, try to get to a real PC and test it .

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2003, 12:08 AM

Originally posted by bojangles:
Unfortunately, Mac OS X doesn't support autostart.
don't you mean fortunately?

Forum Links
Forum Rules