Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > a strange MP3 related dilemma.

a strange MP3 related dilemma.
scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2004, 01:53 PM

okay. the beta for music.download.com launched recently, and it fits my needs almost exactly.

50MB of webspace where people can download files.

i have ~48MB of mp3s that i want to upload, theyre all encoded at 128Kbps. the site will only accept files at 192Kbps. if i convert them all in itunes, it increases the file size almost 2x, and all the songs wont be able to fit within their 50MB limit.

i dont really care about quality AT ALL. some of this stuff was recorded on a boombox, some of it came out of the studio sounding too "clean" anyway.

so anyway, how do i convert the 128Kbps files to 192 Kbps without increasing the filesize? i realize this is a really dumb question, and adding data to the file by increasing the Kbps is obviously going to increase the file size, but does anyone have a workaround that might work?

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2004, 03:19 PM

You might be able to trick them into accepting your files if you paste a 192 kbps frame to the beginning of your 128 kbps files, and you might be able to do that by editing in QuickTime Pro (which saves mov files) and opening that in HexEdit and deleting the mov header, which sometimes leaves just a valid mpeg (1 layer 3) file. Maybe.

forcelite
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 15, 2004, 03:37 PM

you should be able to re-encode your mp3's with this
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/18091
Force

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 15, 2004, 05:37 PM

um.

192 kilobits per second means that you will have 192/8 kilobytes per second = 24 KBytes per second of music. That is what this number means. If you manage to reduce the file size below that, your mp3 is, by definition, no longer 192 kbps.

Unless you can change the headers, as someone above suggested, you will have to live with the size increase (which is only 50%, btw.)

The alternative of going variable bit rate with 192 max means that it will reduce the bitrate depending on how much and what is going on audio-wise. If they say 192kbps, though, they probably won't accept 192kbps VBR...

-s*

lenox
Senior User
Apr 19, 2004, 11:29 AM

Originally posted by scaught:
i realize this is a really dumb question, and adding data to the file by increasing the Kbps is obviously going to increase the file size, but...
there's no 'but', you just answered your own question.

edit: best thing to do, obviously, would be to re-encode from the original source files. however, your question leads me to believe you don't (for some reason) have the originals anymore?

Jacke
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 19, 2004, 12:51 PM

Ok I've sort of found a way to do it, but it requires work on both the sending and the recieving end. Get the Soundhack freeware, first of all. Use Soundhack to change the sample frequency header to make the file shorter. Save from Soundhack ('Save a copy') to create a new AIFF file. Re-encode that to 192. Have the reciever then use Soundhack to edit the header again to make it the correct length (and save).

Obviously this wouldn't do for commercial use, or any situation where ease of use is required...

PS. Yes, I know it's a bad idea, but it's an idea nontheless.

Forum Links
Forum Rules