Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > supercal is awesome

supercal is awesome
h00ligan
Forum Regular
May 10, 2004, 07:27 PM

It brought my 12" screen to life. everyone should use this little utility, it's awesome!

tekno_geek911
Mac Enthusiast
May 11, 2004, 01:58 AM

I just tried it for the first time...My PB display look's 10x's better than before.
::12" PowerBook G4 | 1.33GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | APX | OS X 10.4.1::
::30GB iPod Photo::

eatinwokout
Mac Enthusiast
May 11, 2004, 02:33 AM

I just downloaded and ran Supercal on my 12". My screen looks so much better. I wished that I had foudn this program sooner. It make such a difference compared to when I calibrated using system preferences.

K-Bat
May 11, 2004, 02:58 AM

I used this program before on my old TiPB 1Ghz, but the result was not as good as the profile I purchased. I just gave Supercal another try after seeing your post, now on my new AlPB 1.5Ghz. I'm quite happy with the profile it produced

When I got this PB, I noticed that the brushed metal in Safari had a greenish cast. I tried my old custom profile, but it wasn't good either. It caused a magenta cast. With this Supercal profile (Gamma 2.4), color casts are mostly gone. Seems very promising, although I still need to test its accuracy by printing some images.

Dr.Michael
May 11, 2004, 03:05 AM

Originally posted by h00ligan:
It brought my 12" screen to life. everyone should use this little utility, it's awesome!
I use supercal since I got my Pismo. It is something anyone MUST have.
And as a programmer I have to say, please give them credit in form of the shareware fee. Its worth the few dollars they ask for.

Michael

ASIMO
Mac Elite
May 11, 2004, 03:19 AM

I take it this is not a calculator program.
I, ASIMO.

MartiNZ
Senior User
May 11, 2004, 03:50 AM

Heh, good call. Super Calibrator I guess - more in-depth creation of colour profiles than is built-in.

I haven't tried it before on my iBook - I set one up through system preferences a while ago, but now I just run on the sRGB setting. Could you be more specific on the great differences that you see?

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2004, 09:19 AM

Interesting, my Pismo 500 rev.a has the yellowish Samsung screen, the buil in calibrator did a splendid job. I am very satisfied with the look of my 17" PB screen, must I give SuperCalibrator a try?, worth it?, thanks.

h00ligan  (op)
Forum Regular
May 11, 2004, 11:00 AM

martiNZ - just try it, takes about 5 minutes.. the colors are much more vivid, screen is less washed out, blacks and whites seem much more pure.. well worth the few minutes it takes to run!

And I whole heartedly agree on sending them a few $ for the shareware fee.

jamester
Forum Regular
May 11, 2004, 12:42 PM

And for those wondering, you get it here:

http://www.bergdesign.com/supercal/

=)
2.4GHz Macbook. 22" LCD. External 640GB HD. Yum.

Michel_80
Dedicated MacNNer
May 11, 2004, 01:24 PM

Nice, like it a lot

nsxpower
Mac Enthusiast
May 11, 2004, 01:45 PM

Hmm, I've tried SuperCal before and had pretty bad luck with it, in most cases my screen looked worse than before.
My Blog & Photos
PowerBook (Ti) 1Ghz � 1Gb � 60Gb � SD

Phat Bastard
Mac Enthusiast
May 11, 2004, 02:27 PM

Hey, that really worked! Cool.
The world needs more Canada.
PB 12" 867 MHz, 640 MB RAM, AE, OS 10.4.2
Black iPod nano 4GB

nsxpower
Mac Enthusiast
May 11, 2004, 02:52 PM

Can someone share their PowerBook 15" 1Ghz SD Ti profile. I just tried it again and although everything looked great, brished metal windows had a slight blue tint to them.

UPDATE: Just tried it again, much better. Although still looks a little "odd".
( Last edited by nsxpower; May 11, 2004 at 02:57 PM. )
My Blog & Photos

h00ligan  (op)
Forum Regular
May 11, 2004, 03:42 PM

maybe we should start al lmailing me their calibrations.. we can pass them around.. I can set it up on a web site if people want to start mailing them to me.. anyone interested>?

amazing
Professional Poster
May 11, 2004, 07:04 PM

When I've tried SuperCal in the past, the profile looked very much like the Apple sRGB profile. I could barely tell the difference, but perhaps that's just my eyes.

Could you guys try this and see what you think?

Phat Bastard
Mac Enthusiast
May 11, 2004, 07:13 PM

The first thing I did when I made my Supercal profile was compare it to the other profiles including sRGB. It is appears better than the sRGB one.

Originally posted by amazing:
When I've tried SuperCal in the past, the profile looked very much like the Apple sRGB profile. I could barely tell the difference, but perhaps that's just my eyes.

Could you guys try this and see what you think?
The world needs more Canada.
PB 12" 867 MHz, 640 MB RAM, AE, OS 10.4.2
Black iPod nano 4GB

lunaticbunny
Forum Regular
May 11, 2004, 09:42 PM

for those with a 17" PB which profile did you choose for your screen choices? since they didn't have the 17" PB LCD as a choice, i just choose the 15" DVI/1GHZ...... is that ok?
17" PowerBook 1.33GHz
1GB Ram

h00ligan  (op)
Forum Regular
May 11, 2004, 10:33 PM

while i can't say anyhthing definatively, i would go by what it says in the program.. which is if your EXACT model isn't there.. choose generic

as far as comparing it to the sRGB, i notice that it is better.. at least to my eyes.. and pretty noticably.

nsxpower
Mac Enthusiast
May 12, 2004, 02:39 PM

Originally posted by h00ligan:
maybe we should start al lmailing me their calibrations.. we can pass them around.. I can set it up on a web site if people want to start mailing them to me.. anyone interested>?
I really like this idea. This could benefit a lot of PowerBook owners.

I have bandwidth and storage space to spare.

15" TiBook 1Ghz - 3rd try and so far my best.
My Blog & Photos

nate_02
Senior User
May 12, 2004, 11:54 PM

worked great on my powerbook, but not so great on my 23" cinema display. It made it more green. I'll try it again and see what happens.
-nate

saranwarp
Forum Regular
May 13, 2004, 01:31 AM

I agree, this thing is awesome. I definitely recommend it.

strokemouth
May 13, 2004, 01:58 AM

Thanks nsxpower. Looks great on my 1.5 15". A little better than my own calibration.

nsxpower
Mac Enthusiast
May 13, 2004, 02:17 AM

As I said, this is my best try so far. Appears to be pretty accurate as far as photos are concerned, but I still notice a slight blue 'tint' on Finder brushed metal windows ... is it just me?
My Blog & Photos

MartiNZ
Senior User
May 13, 2004, 04:13 PM

Originally posted by nsxpower:
15" TiBook 1Ghz - 3rd try and so far my best.
I'm currently trying this one out on my 12" iBook 800MHz G3, and it is certainly quite different from the sRGB profile! I've currently got the first picture from the Beach screensaver on my desktop, and I can really see the difference given that a lot of that picture is blue - this profile really tones down the blue and does something I can't describe with the greys around the bottom.

I do feel there is a slight pinkish tint to brushed metal windows now, but it's certainly a lot better than my first attempt with Supercal, which got white much too pink! It's quite a process, all that squinting at the colour blocks, and I don't think I quite realised what I was doing when working with the red first .

I'll try again when my eyes have recovered - it kind of feels like an eye test ... I don't want to get any of the questions wrong, but only I know the right answer for my eyes! And the last time I had an eye test I was told not to squint .

ryanhugh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 13, 2004, 04:21 PM

I tried supercal for the 1st time and had a really strong blue tint...how do you go about deleting that profile? I know you can switch back through the color preference pane, but I just want to delete it completely. thanks!

MartiNZ
Senior User
May 13, 2004, 04:31 PM

It will be in ~/Library/ColorSync/Profiles/ or if you want to try again, you can just open Supercal and edit the profile.

nsxpower
Mac Enthusiast
May 13, 2004, 04:45 PM

Originally posted by MartiNZ:
I'm currently trying this one out on my 12" iBook 800MHz G3, and it is certainly quite different from the sRGB profile! I've currently got the first picture from the Beach screensaver on my desktop, and I can really see the difference given that a lot of that picture is blue - this profile really tones down the blue and does something I can't describe with the greys around the bottom.

I do feel there is a slight pinkish tint to brushed metal windows now, but it's certainly a lot better than my first attempt with Supercal, which got white much too pink! It's quite a process, all that squinting at the colour blocks, and I don't think I quite realised what I was doing when working with the red first .

I'll try again when my eyes have recovered - it kind of feels like an eye test ... I don't want to get any of the questions wrong, but only I know the right answer for my eyes! And the last time I had an eye test I was told not to squint .
I would not be surprised if it didn't work for 12" LCDs since they are pretty different
My Blog & Photos

ryanhugh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 13, 2004, 04:51 PM

Originally posted by MartiNZ:
It will be in ~/Library/ColorSync/Profiles/ or if you want to try again, you can just open Supercal and edit the profile.
thanx! I will definately try and edit it first...

MartiNZ
Senior User
May 13, 2004, 07:10 PM

I would not be surprised if it didn't work for 12" LCDs since they are pretty different
Heh, good point. But I though that only really related to the brightness and stuff. Why is the colour definition different ... doesn't that just make everything too confusing?

Anyway, I'll keep using it until I try again for myself - it definitely accentuates the pinstripes in the menubar anyway !

h00ligan  (op)
Forum Regular
May 13, 2004, 10:36 PM

i also have bandwidth to spare if you guys want to email me your calibrations.. you can do so and i can setup a site.. someone let me know if you are interested.
-= H00ligan =-

1.33 GHz 12" | 60 gig 7200 rpm drive | 1.25 Gigs of ram
amd 64 3000+ eMachines m6805 (arima lappy) | 60 gig | 512 megs | almost 3400 3dMark03 and it was only $1250 :)

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2004, 07:55 AM

Originally posted by lunaticbunny:
for those with a 17" PB which profile did you choose for your screen choices? since they didn't have the 17" PB LCD as a choice, i just choose the 15" DVI/1GHZ...... is that ok?
same here, I choose the 17" iMac

but I would like that if someone finds his 17 PB supercal profile please share it, I find my one too dark

nsxpower
Mac Enthusiast
May 14, 2004, 05:18 PM

Ok I gave it another try. This time I am more satisfied with the calibration although it is still off, I just can't put my finger on it. Get it here. Again this is for TiBook 15" 1Ghz SD etc., but may work for 15"AlBook.
My Blog & Photos

vinster
Senior User
May 14, 2004, 05:53 PM

Ok I gave it another try. This time I am more satisfied with the calibration although it is still off, I just can't put my finger on it. Get it here. Again this is for TiBook 15" 1Ghz SD etc., but may work for 15"AlBook.
Thanks for these. The first one you posted a couple of days ago seems to look better on my Al 15.

vinster
Senior User
May 14, 2004, 05:54 PM

duplicate post

nsxpower
Mac Enthusiast
May 14, 2004, 05:59 PM

Originally posted by vinster:
Thanks for these. The first one you posted a couple of days ago seems to look better on my PB 15.
I am trying to get it right for my own sake and everybody elses benefit, but I keep messing it up. I keep getting a very slight blue/purple tint. You can really tell if you load a what is 25% / 50% grey in sRGB (so you have two shade of grey displaying) image as your wallpaper and then change profiles ... the first will result in a slight blue tint and the most recent one will result in a very sligh purple tint. I don't know why this keeps happening.
I have a blue lamp next to my table all the time, so that could be affecting my calibration ... hehe I should turn on the red one.
My Blog & Photos

vinster
Senior User
May 14, 2004, 07:03 PM

I am trying to get it right for my own sake and everybody elses benefit, but I keep messing it up. I keep getting a very slight blue/purple tint. You can really tell if you load a what is 25% / 50% grey in sRGB (so you have two shade of grey displaying) image as your wallpaper and then change profiles ... the first will result in a slight blue tint and the most recent one will result in a very sligh purple tint. I don't know why this keeps happening.
I have a blue lamp next to my table all the time, so that could be affecting my calibration ... hehe I should turn on the red one.
I do notice a slight blueish tint, more so on the earlier profile you did, but I prefer the contrast of that one.

I think it's going to be next-to-impossible to get it perfect without specialized calibration hardware but by all means please keep trying and post your results.

h00ligan  (op)
Forum Regular
May 14, 2004, 07:59 PM

'
only f you can add ayellow one
-= H00ligan =-

1.33 GHz 12" | 60 gig 7200 rpm drive | 1.25 Gigs of ram
amd 64 3000+ eMachines m6805 (arima lappy) | 60 gig | 512 megs | almost 3400 3dMark03 and it was only $1250 :)

nagromme
Senior User
May 15, 2004, 02:38 AM

SuperCal IS great. But Panther has new calibration built right into Preferences that does just as well (for me anyway) and is much easier to use. It's essentially doing the same thing--although SuperCal lets you add more steps than the built-in one.

I suggest trying Panther's built-in method first, just because it's already there and easier.

Whichever you choose, your 'Book or LCD will look MUCH better than the default. I'm amazed the Apple doesn't even remotely calibrate their displays as shipped--nor turn on LCD font smoothing! The demo Macs sitting in stores would look SO much better if calibrated.
nagromme

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
May 15, 2004, 11:43 AM

Just run the supercal thing and the display on my 15in Al has punched up much better. Didn't even notice the faint blue cast on the old profile until it was gone!!

One thing though, on looking at the display closely it doesn't seem all that clear, with faint colour fringing around the type and high contrast areas. I would expect that on a CRT as it's difficult to align perfectly, but on an LCD? Normal?

When I connect the PB to my 22in NEC CRT at work and run it up to 1680 pixel the display really sucks with heavy shadows etc. Looks much better at 1280, but my G4 tower runs the same monitor rreally nicely at 1680 and I prefer that res to get all my photoshop pallets up.

Any ideas?

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
May 15, 2004, 11:56 AM

i didn't care for it. like the results i got using Preferences in expert mode. supercal made the colors too hot and everything looked less sharp, overall it was not nice to look at. tried it on imac crt and ibook 12"

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2004, 09:54 AM

Could someone send me a nice 17" PB profile (either Supercal or Mac OS X) so I can compare it with the one I actually use?
Thanks in advance.

[email protected]

sghms
May 17, 2004, 11:00 AM

Originally posted by angelmb:
Could someone send me a nice 17" PB profile (either Supercal or Mac OS X) so I can compare it with the one I actually use?
Thanks in advance.

[email protected]
Same here as well please. I would be grateful for any 17" PB profiles so I can compare My email is [email protected]

Thanks
2 Ghz Stealthbook
2Gb RAM
OS X.4.x

ManxStef
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2004, 05:59 PM

Not to cuss this app 'cause I'm sure it's good for a basic fix (and for the price), but for anyone into photography or design work that requires accurate colour (matching Pantone swatches, accurate skintones, comparing trannies on a lightbox with on-screen scans, etc.) I'd *highly* recommend a hardware calibrator.

They're really not that expensive (a Colorvision Spyder costs around USD$100-150 for instance) and they make a *huge* difference; much more so than a manual calibration with visual software (e.g. Adobe Gamma, to mention another one).

As for swapping profiles, I'm not sure I'd recommend that. A monitor can have very different characteristics depending on type (CRT or LCD), age (which makes a massive difference to CRTs in particular) and manufacturing variances (even between identical models). Spend a few minutes and generate your own profile using whatever software or hardware you have; it'll be better, I promise

For more information take a look here - note it gets pretty technical but even if you don't read the text make sure you take a look at the visual test down near the bottom:
http://www.normankoren.com/makingfineprints1A.html

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2004, 09:17 AM

Thanks for yor input ManxStef and welcome!

BTW, my 21" Apple 'Moby' CRT autocalibrates itself. That is a friendly display.

ManxStef
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2004, 12:15 PM

Originally posted by angelmb:
Thanks for yor input ManxStef and welcome!

BTW, my 21" Apple 'Moby' CRT autocalibrates itself. That is a friendly display.
No problem and thanks, got to say that of all the Mac forums I've found so far this one seems the most interesting and informative

Autocalibrating monitors are kinda nifty; the Barco ones are particularly nice but horrendously expensive. If I had the money I'd get this one:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...-artisan.shtml

(the "A Small Experiment" part is worth a quick play to see how good your monitor is)

Mmmmmh... all monitors are definitely not made equal

tie
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2005, 02:10 PM

I tried SuperCal and did not get very good results at all. I tried it on two different monitors (built-in laptop and an external -- to calibrate the external, one has to drag the menu bar over). Then I set the same image as a desktop background for each monitor. And it looks completely different. It really isn't working well -- of course it is due to human error in the end, but I tried my best.

skelotar
Forum Regular
Jun 14, 2005, 02:46 PM

yea, the faint blue is pretty prevalent..

I actually was able to do better than supercal by using's the built in calibrator on my external CRT to get near perfect color matching, then re-calibrate the powerbook display using an image placed between both displays as a point of reference, using the internal calibration utility.

Supercal made my windows pink.. probably need to keep tweaking, but as of now, its about as good as an LCD can get..
::: r00t ::: - 15" PBook / 1.25 GB/ 1.33Ghz

d.fine
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2005, 03:32 PM

Nice, I'll try it on my PB next...

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2005, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by skelotar
Supercal made my windows pink.. probably need to keep tweaking, but as of now, its about as good as an LCD can get..
Yep, the brushed metal windows on my PB 17" turned pinkish as well. I like my current profile better than the supercal profile I made.

Forum Links
Forum Rules