Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PC Card - Compact Flash Issues?

PC Card - Compact Flash Issues?
Thread Tools
kashirat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Alberta, Canada
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 30, 2005, 10:21 PM
 
I have a PC Card Compact flash adapter and use it to download photos from my camera to my powerbook (AL 15" 1.5 ghz 2 GB ram, 9700 w/ 128mb). The card mounts fine, but whenever I try to start copying files over the system grinds to a halt. Things become pretty much unusable until the file transfer is done.

Is this normal? Does anyone know how i could fix this if it is not? I'm running Tiger, with the latest updates.

Thanks
     
kashirat  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Alberta, Canada
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 1, 2005, 01:25 AM
 
Originally Posted by kashirat
I have a PC Card Compact flash adapter and use it to download photos from my camera to my powerbook (AL 15" 1.5 ghz 2 GB ram, 9700 w/ 128mb). The card mounts fine, but whenever I try to start copying files over the system grinds to a halt. Things become pretty much unusable until the file transfer is done.

Is this normal? Does anyone know how i could fix this if it is not? I'm running Tiger, with the latest updates.

Thanks
eh?
     
lilrabbit129
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Apr 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 1, 2005, 01:35 AM
 
Have you tried other CF cards?
     
kashirat  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Alberta, Canada
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 1, 2005, 02:21 AM
 
It happens both on my 2GB 40x Lexar and a regualr 256 sandisk...
     
crazeazn
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: houston/dfw
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 1, 2005, 03:03 AM
 
try another cf converter pcmcia card?
12" AI book REV B, mac mini core duo 1.66
     
lunaticbunny
Forum Regular
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Vancouver, BC
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 1, 2005, 03:43 AM
 
The exact same thing happens to me too. I have Scandisk PC Card. But it does download a hell of lot faster than through the camera's usb 1.1 port. I suppose it's using all the cpu power to d/l. Never used a usb2 card reader, i wonder if there's any speed difference between the two? Anyone know?
17" PowerBook 1.33GHz
1GB Ram
     
kashirat  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Alberta, Canada
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 1, 2005, 09:10 AM
 
Originally Posted by lunaticbunny
The exact same thing happens to me too. I have Scandisk PC Card. But it does download a hell of lot faster than through the camera's usb 1.1 port. I suppose it's using all the cpu power to d/l. Never used a usb2 card reader, i wonder if there's any speed difference between the two? Anyone know?
Hmm, mine is a Sandisk PC Card adapter too.. perhaps the problem is there.

The PC Card is supposed to be slightly faster than a usb2 card reader but if it locks up the machine then the USB2 card reader is probably a bit better
     
itguy05
Forum Regular
Join Date: Apr 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 1, 2005, 04:58 PM
 
Are you guys using iPhoto? I d/l'ed a full 1GB of RAW from my 10d's Microdrive through the PCMCIA adapter and the machine did get sluggish the whole time. Checking top and activity monitor showed that iPhoto was taking up 50-75%+ of the CPU time.... That would explain some of the sluggishness.
     
kashirat  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Alberta, Canada
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 1, 2005, 10:26 PM
 
Originally Posted by itguy05
Are you guys using iPhoto? I d/l'ed a full 1GB of RAW from my 10d's Microdrive through the PCMCIA adapter and the machine did get sluggish the whole time. Checking top and activity monitor showed that iPhoto was taking up 50-75%+ of the CPU time.... That would explain some of the sluggishness.
Nope, not using iPhoto.. The card mounts in the finder and I just try to copy the files from the card to hard drive.
     
   
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:13 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,