Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS 8.6: -22, -23 errors

OS 8.6: -22, -23 errors
bastokyg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2002, 04:30 PM

Greetings,
I'm running OS8.6 on a Blue and White G3. I'm having -23 and -23 system errors when double-clicking a file to launch an app (as opposed to launching the app and then opening the file). I rebuilt the desktop, ran DiskWarrior 2.0, and TechTool Pro 3.03, and none of these solved the problem.

My guess is that there is a corrupted System file or Mac OS ROM file (I have version 1.6), but I'm trying to avoid doing a clean install now, as I may be moving to OSX eventually. I was going to drag and drop the System and ROM files from the OS8.6 Update DiskImage file, but checked with Apple's TechNotes and they warn against doing this.

Is it possible, though (sometimes Apple's warnings don't fit every situation) to copy those 2 files from the Update DiskImage without totally wacking out everything, or will I need to do a clean install?

I've been using the Mac almost everyday (it seems) since 1986 and very rarely need tech support anymore for OS related problems, but I'm getting lazy in my old age and I'm really trying to avoid a clean install, so I'd appreciate any feedback you can give me on this.
Thanks,
Gary Bastoky

<Phil>
Jan 23, 2002, 04:55 PM

I ran into similar problems and I did a software reinstall from the original os 8.5 disc, granted it did not restore my machine to 8.6 by it enabled me to work again and I then upgraded 8.5 to 8.6 after 8.5 ran for about a week. To do this on the 8.5 cd there is an option to do a OS Reinstall or something similiar, I choose that and it has run smooth since then. It did not require me to do a complete system reinstall
Originally posted by bastokyg:
<STRONG>Greetings,
I'm running OS8.6 on a Blue and White G3. I'm having -23 and -23 system errors when double-clicking a file to launch an app (as opposed to launching the app and then opening the file). I rebuilt the desktop, ran DiskWarrior 2.0, and TechTool Pro 3.03, and none of these solved the problem.

My guess is that there is a corrupted System file or Mac OS ROM file (I have version 1.6), but I'm trying to avoid doing a clean install now, as I may be moving to OSX eventually. I was going to drag and drop the System and ROM files from the OS8.6 Update DiskImage file, but checked with Apple's TechNotes and they warn against doing this.

Is it possible, though (sometimes Apple's warnings don't fit every situation) to copy those 2 files from the Update DiskImage without totally wacking out everything, or will I need to do a clean install?

I've been using the Mac almost everyday (it seems) since 1986 and very rarely need tech support anymore for OS related problems, but I'm getting lazy in my old age and I'm really trying to avoid a clean install, so I'd appreciate any feedback you can give me on this.
Thanks,
Gary Bastoky</STRONG>

bastokyg  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2002, 07:19 PM

Thanks for the reply! Do you have any idea which files it installed? I thought I remembered reading something about that in relation to OSX, but didn't remember seeing that as an option in 8.5. I'll take a look and see if I can figure out which files it replaces (and do a backup before I start!).

Thanks again!!
Gary

Originally posted by &lt;Phil&gt;:
<STRONG>I ran into similar problems and I did a software reinstall from the original os 8.5 disc, granted it did not restore my machine to 8.6 by it enabled me to work again and I then upgraded 8.5 to 8.6 after 8.5 ran for about a week. To do this on the 8.5 cd there is an option to do a OS Reinstall or something similiar, I choose that and it has run smooth since then. It did not require me to do a complete system reinstall </STRONG>

gto47
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 23, 2002, 10:45 PM

Lets get things straight here.
Typical system reisntall-reinstalls vital system files, does NOT delete extensions

Clean system installation-reinstalls vital system files, does NOT destroy system extensions. It creates a second system folder, with all of your files intact, and creates a freshly installed or system folder.

Just do the typical reinstall, that will fix the system, and leave everything else alone. Its really painless, so i dont see the problem.

[Edit] I forgot that the older os installs didnt have those reinstall options. The 8.5 cd should have it, however.

[ 01-23-2002: Message edited by: gto47 ]
Mac Pro 8x2.8 | Macbook 2.13 | Saab Trionic 7 (thats right, runs on a 68k!)

bastokyg  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2002, 10:52 PM

not a problem.
I just wanted clarification. I have it now. Thanks.

Subzero Diesel949
Jan 26, 2002, 04:32 AM

FYI a -23 error means that you are missing segments of a system file. That usually means you need to reinstall the system.

bastokyg  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2002, 11:47 AM

Actually, it's not a 'minus' 23 error (-23), it's a positive 23 (23) error (my mistake. sorry.).

But yes I also think it should be the System file:
ID=17 through ID=24 Missing Packages 0-7
The Macintosh uses packages to do specific tasks. Some of the packages are International Utilities, Binary-Decimal Conversion, Standard File Utilities, and Disk Initialization. These packages are located in the System file. If you get these errors, you probably have a damaged System file. Error codes 15, 16, 26, 27, 30, and 31 also come up when the System file is damaged. Try replacing the System file.

I did a reinstall from the OS8.6 Update disk image which replaced the System file, the Mac OS ROM file, and others, but I'm still getting this error. I ran TechTool Pro, DiskWarrior, Conflict Catcher's "scan files for damage," and rebuilt the Desktop.

None of the utilitites mentioned, showed any damage to ANY file (I run TTP and DW fairly regularly to keep my Directory in good shape.) My drive is optimized. I'm a "Good Mac Housekeeping" sort of guy.

Any further suggestions would be much appreciated.

BTW: I'm staying with 8.6, because up to now it's be very stable, and I can't afford to upgrade all my apps so I can "upgrade" to OS X or even OS 9.

Subzero Diesel949
Jan 26, 2002, 09:19 PM

Actually my mistake...I was looking at the correct translation for a 23 error...but I posted -23.

Same thing

Cipher13
Jan 27, 2002, 06:59 PM

Just grab your System File and Finder from an install CD and drag 'em over

Forum Links
Forum Rules