Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Ineed to commision a wood craftsman

Ineed to commision a wood craftsman
iM@k
Senior User
Mar 15, 2011, 01:04 AM

*** Sorry for being long winded but I need to provide the details before I explain what I need done ***

As proof that, good or bad, nothing in my life can happen easily, so was the case with my Brothers passing back in January.

As the other people there that night were really plastered, overcome with shock and grief, combined with me being the last person to see Rick alive and being the one who found him, reported to the police their suspiscion that I was directly responsible for his death somehow.

To this end, I was told to leave when I arrived at his funeral and was kept away while they went through the grieving process. 

In it's place i was subjected to several full interogations and a polygraph.

Two weeks ago the official Police report came out showing not only was I telling the truth, but it was physically impossible in several ways for me to have been present or involved. (It was also admitted that they lied when they told me I'd failed the poly in hopes I'd tell them something).

Despite several of the original accusers having started to doubt themselves by this time, for me, the torture had been inflicted.

In a recocilliation meeting with the family, they explained a few things about Rick and his past I never knew about which is why they suspected me of doing something. With this new information and perspective, I have forgiven them. A second service of sorts was held so I had the chance to say my good bye too. But it wasn't the same and I still hurt about not being allowed at the actual one.

As Rick was only 22, he didn't have a will. The rest of the family had already divided his possesions and given the rest to charity by this time.

Fortunetly, the night of his passing, along with a bottle of what we call Romulan Ale (Tarantula Tequila), I'd bought two minitures of Goldschlager for just Rick and I. Ricks words verbatim when he took the minitures out of the bag was "Did I ever tell you you're my favorite Brother?". We never drank the minitures that night and I still have them.

Also, for the past few months prior, Rick and I had become fans of Jim Butcher's 'Dresden Files' Series. Rick had started reading it ahead of me, when I lost my copy of 'Small Favors', Rick had just finished it so he gave me his copy. I have this too.

I'm looking for someone to build me a small enclosed, glass fronted cabinet/display case that I can put these items in. If you or someone you know are a wood craftsman, please let me know.

Thank You.
What, me worry?

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 15, 2011, 01:29 AM

That is a very sad story. I hope you find a craftsman.

dav
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2011, 08:04 AM

sorry for what you're going through.
if i remember correctly, Railroader is a bit of a wood craftsman, although maybe not as a full time profession, he might be able to offer advice.
(apologies RR if i got that wrong)
one post closer to five stars

Phileas
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2011, 09:05 AM

That's a sad and awful story - I do hope you'll find closure one day.

If you're living in or near a larger city, craigslist might be a good source. just ask for references and work samples.

andi*pandi
Mar 15, 2011, 09:24 AM

That's really sad, I'm so sorry for your loss and what you went through.

Good luck.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Mar 15, 2011, 10:12 AM

Sorry for your loss. Rob is a pretty good designer and the drying rack he made was from wood so he must have some experience working with it.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Mar 15, 2011, 10:24 AM

I can't give any specific advice, as I don't know anyone in your area, however you should really think about just talking to some local cabinetmakers. We live in a house that was built without any closets (wtf, 1925?) and recently had some guys in to build some built-in closets in one of the bedrooms. They usually do things like kitchen cabinets, but they did an absolutely amazing job building separate his and hers closets in an asymmetrical space with a kick-ass, integrated radiator cover between them.

You might be surprised what the guys who remodeled your neighbors kitchen can do, and for a smaller piece the price should be very reasonable.

Forum Links
Forum Rules