Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Jaguar Safari font-variant�

Jaguar Safari font-variant�
madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 12, 2004, 02:02 PM

I know it was reported in early Safari versions that the CSS font-variant: small-caps was not recognized.

And I know that in Safari 1.2 for Panther is it recognized.

But what I cannot seem to find, is if it has been fixed in Jaguar's Safari 1.0.

Does anybody happen to know?
The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing
- Edmund Burke

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2004, 08:10 AM

Originally posted by madmacgames:
I know it was reported in early Safari versions that the CSS font-variant: small-caps was not recognized.

And I know that in Safari 1.2 for Panther is it recognized.

But what I cannot seem to find, is if it has been fixed in Jaguar's Safari 1.0.

Does anybody happen to know?
Probably not. Apple doesn't tend to go back and update older versions of their code unless there's a major security issue, and even then they only do what's needed to fix the hole. An example of this would be the libpng security bugg from a couple of months ago; they fixed Safari 1.0, but all that meant was using a new PNG library; there shouldn't have been any changes at all to anything else.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

madmacgames  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 13, 2004, 11:55 AM

Originally posted by Millennium:
Probably not. Apple doesn't tend to go back and update older versions of their code unless there's a major security issue, and even then they only do what's needed to fix the hole. An example of this would be the libpng security bugg from a couple of months ago; they fixed Safari 1.0, but all that meant was using a new PNG library; there shouldn't have been any changes at all to anything else.
right, but what I'm saying is it was present in the beta Safari's, along with a bunch of other CSS bugs, that alot of were fixed in v1.0. And I cannot find anywhere that confirms or denies if they caught this one in v1.0, so that is why I am asking, as I cannot remember myself.
- Edmund Burke

madmacgames  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 13, 2004, 12:05 PM

didn't even think to look to Apple for the answer:

http://developer.apple.com/internet/...afari_css.html

well sort of. Says supported as of v1.0 except for small-caps, which is really all that it is good for�

And they don't mention that small-caps supported was added in at least 1.2 (thought I also forget about 1.1). Ah, but I have my answer for v1.0 now anyways, I think.
- Edmund Burke

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2004, 12:18 PM

Originally posted by madmacgames:
didn't even think to look to Apple for the answer:

http://developer.apple.com/internet/...afari_css.html

well sort of. Says supported as of v1.0 except for small-caps, which is really all that it is good for�
Actually, I can think of one possible use for it. In a user.css file, it could be used to remove small-caps formatting from all elements, with a line like *{font-variant:small-caps !important} or something like that.

Of course, since Safari 1.0 essentially did this anyway, it still wasn't terribly useful on that browser.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

madmacgames  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 13, 2004, 02:28 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
Actually, I can think of one possible use for it. In a user.css file, it could be used to remove small-caps formatting from all elements, with a line like *{font-variant:small-caps !important} or something like that.
well since font-variant only has 2 possible options: normal or small-caps, the only real use for a web dev is small-caps.

I too could make a browser that doesn't actually support font-variant, but then claim that it does support font-variant except for small-caps. Since the other option is just normal, it is just a tricky way of really saying "We don't support font-variant"� see?
- Edmund Burke

Forum Links
Forum Rules