Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > PNG8 w/ alpha transparency using Photoshop?

PNG8 w/ alpha transparency using Photoshop?
madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 15, 2004, 06:13 PM

I've been looking around a little, and it seems you can indeed make a PNG8 format image with alpha transparency. However, for the life of me I cannot figure out how to get Photoshop/Imageready (CS) to do it. It seems to only do alpha transparency with PNG24 format, which is no good for web pages, as the file size is way too big for such a small dimension image.

So my question is, is Photoshop capable of doing PNG8 w/ alpha transparency, and if so, how?
The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing
- Edmund Burke

graphicpush
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2004, 05:36 PM

I don't believe it is possible. PNG8 is the same as GIF -- limited to 256 colors with 1-bit transparency, meaning the color is on or off. PNG24 is the only way I know to get full transparency in webpages, but IE doesn't support it without some small hacking.
Kevin
www.graphicpush.com

Ardfry Imaging
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2006, 09:00 AM

This thread is a bit dated, but I wanted to post a correct answer.

The PNG spec allows for an indexed color image with an 8 bit alpha channel through the use of the tRNS chunk.

Sample images in this format are here: http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/pngs-img.html

However, Photoshop can neither read nor write files in this format without the use of a third party plugin.

Forum Links
Forum Rules