Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > printing problems

printing problems
batbert99
Oct 4, 1999, 10:35 AM

anyone have problems printing, if so, specifically with HP deskjet series, perhaps the 870 model?

none of my applications recognize a connected printer on the serial port. v9.4 of the HP s/w, f6 of OS9. yer thots are welcome (don't say "f9" unless its known to fix this)

zgall1
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 1999, 07:09 PM

I am having the same problem. I just upgraded to Mac OS 9 and my HP Deskjet 855Cse will no longer work. I can choose the icon in the Chooser with no error messages but when I try to print, nothing happens (no text box, nothing!). Please help!
Thanks

wlonh
Professional Poster
Oct 20, 1999, 08:00 PM

HP's DeskWriter 870 Forum: "HP is working on new drivers, compatible with OS 9 for the DeskJet and DeskWriters printers. They will be available by the end of the month to the best of my knowledge. Check the HP website for the new driver towards the last week of the October."

further:
a note from HP that documents HP printer incompatibilities with Mac OS 9, with no current solution or workaround available. The problem affects DeskWriter 600, 660, 680, 690 Series; DeskJet 610, 612, 670, 680, 690 Series and DeskJet 850, 855, 870 Series printers.

[This message has been edited by wlonh (edited 10-21-1999).]

mkbhatia
Administrator
Oct 21, 1999, 09:26 AM

Also on our Mac OS 9 Report
http://www.macnn.com/reports/os9.shtml#Incompatible

(under HP)

richiem
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 1999, 01:59 PM

While the HP drivers do not work, the LaserWriter drive (8.7) does work very well.

The Epson drivers built for 8.5 and above also work flawlessly. I have tried this extensively.

Printing was a major issue during OS 9 testing. We really hammered on the Apple Printinh guideleines. There were major changes to the printing softeare.

batbert99
Oct 22, 1999, 09:47 AM

wow, only two and half weeks later... i also found the info on hp's site. btw, anyone else trying, trying to get to it via appletalk doesn't work.
perhaps using powerprint s/w to hit as if it were a pc printer?

Forum Links
Forum Rules