Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook Pro/ Macbook.

Macbook Pro/ Macbook.
Kelvasco
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2006, 12:27 PM

I know this topic has been done many times before but I was looking for some specific answers to my needs. I have been looking at both the Macbook Pro 15.4" and the Macbook 13.3" (white model) but I can't decided which one to save up for. I won't be purchasing either unitl Leopard comes out (ano its along time away but I need to start saving). Taking into consideration that maybe new prosserors etc will be in the laptops by then which one would be suit me. Thes are something I do:

Surfing the web
Listening to music
Watching movies
Games like Football Manager, TTD, Half-Life, Far Cry, F.E.A.R and C&C

All the games except Football Manager and TTD will be played in windows using Boot Camp. I currently have a 1 year old iBook g4 14" 1.42ghz with 512mb ram, it has done me well but I really struggles if I push it only slightly. It has even started to struggle with Football Manager and some other programs. I know I have rambled on a bit but I really need this all answered.

Any comments would be welcome thanks very much.

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 18, 2006, 12:33 PM

If you're going to be gaming, I'd go for the MBP. A proper video card is one of the main differentiators between the MBP and MB.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2006, 03:10 PM

I don't game at all really but are the games you mention very demanding? Windows will use more ram for video than OS X so if you max it out I think you will be ok. If you get the macbook you have the option (financially not technically) of adding an external monitor for when you watch movies.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 18, 2006, 03:35 PM

Half-Life 2, especially the expansions, can be very demanding, depending on your settings. Half-Life 2 Episode 1 has High Dynamic Range lighting that produces fantastic lighting effects but can really stress your video card (see Ars Technica's primer on HDR here: http://arstechnica.com/articles/culture/lostcoast.ars).

F.E.A.R. can also be rather taxing and is often used as a benchmark for PC gaming tests.

Kelvasco  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2006, 03:37 PM

Thanks for the comments. A couple of the games are demanding like F.E.A.R and Half Life 2 but they only work in windows so I think I'll get the extra ram. I have a 32" HD Ready Humax LCD in my room the now which I use as a external monitor for my iBook G4 when I watch movies.

Any other comments as usual are welcome Cheers.

phazedowt
Sep 18, 2006, 03:45 PM

How important is portable gaming for you? The reason being that if you have the money to spend on a MBP, you should also consider the option of getting a MacBook for productivity (and portability) and a desktop PC for gaming with the money saved (it would likely have a better video card and thus be a better gaming option than a MBP).
15" MBP, 2.33 GHz C2D, 120GB HD, 2 GB RAM, OS X 10.4. 4GB iPod Nano.

Kelvasco  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2006, 03:59 PM

Yeh Phazedowt I was thinking about geting a gaming PC pluging it into ma T.V for games and a Macbook for the rest. I just don't really want to have a big box in the corner just so I can play games. I am a gaming addict but mainly consoles a Xbox 360 ( my main gaming machine ) and a PS2 just for the Football and F1. I could quite easily build a gaming PC with a better graphics card etc but a Macbook Pro just seems a good little middle ground type computer, the portablity of the Macbook with added graphics n more horse power.

As always comments are much appreciated.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2006, 05:01 PM

well now that I know you have a nice screen already and with everyone's input on the games I can modify my initial comments.
Either get a PC and a macbook, or a MBP since you don't seem to want another computer lying around.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 18, 2006, 05:17 PM

I'm planning on getting a MBP partially for gaming. It's not a critical application for me, but I like not being tethered to my desktop to game.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2006, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Kelvasco
...I won't be purchasing either unitl Leopard comes out...
There will be at least one (Merom) and probably two laptop revisions by the time Leopard is released. Save your money then ask again near that time. Odds are very high that by then some new box(es) will be all about gaming.

-Allen Wicks

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2006, 10:32 PM

I'm waiting for Leopard too - who knows what new HW will be out then?

Kelvasco  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2006, 03:34 PM

Yeh ano a should have asked nearer the time but I need to plan way ahead because of money. I think when Leopard is out Macbook Pro's will be Penryth prossecors and max of 4gb ram and the Macbook will maybe have Merom but most likely not Penryth. Thats what I am expecting but your never know what Apple will do.

Cheers for all comments

Forum Links
Forum Rules