Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Need help!! How to connect so everything can see the Internet?

Need help!! How to connect so everything can see the Internet?
Kelvasco
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2007, 06:20 PM

Ok here is my situation. I have 2 macs (emac and ibook g4), 2 xbox 360 and a pc to connect togeather. At the moment I have a 4 port modem/router connecting them all togeather. This has worked great for the last year but now the second xbox 360 is getting xbox live so it has to be connecting all the time. I have a BT Home Hub being delivered ( hopefully by tomorrow ) which if you didn't know has two ports but dones have 802.11g. Therefore I will now be able to release my ibook. Now to my question ( sorry for the long story ), how do i connect them so they can all get on the internet? Do I get a switch, hub or repeater?

Any comments very welcome, Cheers.

toddtmw
Forum Regular
Feb 16, 2007, 09:13 AM

Is the BT Home Hub going to be your new ADSL router?

It looks to me like you have five things to connect. (You may want to leave a port so you can plug yout iBook in sometimes even though you have wireless.)

You say the BT Home Hub has two ports. So you can plug one computer directly into that and the other port will need to be connected to at least a five-port switch.

So, hook up your new BT Home Hub, plug one computer into it and get it working. Depending on the type of switch you get, you may need a crossover cable to connect the BT Home Hub and the switch.

Some switches auto-detect and handle the crossover for you, some don't. If you are going to buy a new one, ask the people at the store whether it will handle it or not.

Once you get a new 5-port (or higher) switch, run a cable between the remaining port on your BT Home Hub and one of the ports on the switch. Then plug all your other computers and games into other ports on the switch.

At this point, everything should just work as if it's connected directly to your BT Home Hub.

Good Luck!

-Todd
The moderators in this forum have too much time on their hands.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 16, 2007, 11:06 AM

Two comments. First, your thread title is, let's say "less than informative." Most people post here asking for help so your title doesn't help the reader figure out what you're talking about. We have a rule here about that-in the General Forum Rules. It says basically that you need to make your thread title informative and/or descriptive of the issue you're posting about. The result of this is that more people either a) chime in with help or b) find threads that are appropriate to their own questions when they search for help.

Second comment: if you could somehow diagram your current setup and sketch how you want to have it hooked up when you're finished, that would help me (at least) figure out if there's anything you've missed, or anything you could do better, more easily, or both.

Cheers! (And I'll fix your title to be more helpful and descriptive.)

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Kelvasco  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2007, 01:04 PM

Thanks for your comments. I'll remember the thing about the title next time. I have done a drawing but I don't know how to put it on here. Cheers

Forum Links
Forum Rules