Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Palin stepping down

Palin stepping down
Rumor
Jul 3, 2009, 03:43 PM

Or so CNN is saying. At first it was that she wasn't going to rum for re-election, but now says she is leaving office alltogether. A Google search doesn't immediately turn something at tbs moment.

I suppose she is going to brush up on history before attempting to run for President.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 3, 2009, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
now says she is leaving office alltogether.
I don't see that on CNN.

But we'll now soon, she's scheduled to give a 3 p.m. ET news conference.

-t

OreoCookie
Jul 3, 2009, 03:58 PM

It's a bit hidden. The NYT also has it on their breaking stories newsticker.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 3, 2009, 03:59 PM

I'm thinking she's going for a Senate seat.

Edit: ABC just ran it from the press conference. Her stepping down, not the Senate part.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 3, 2009, 04:02 PM

Wow, I'd like to know why she will resign Not running again is one thing, resigning immediately is another.

-t

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2009, 04:10 PM

I bet liberals are at fault, somehow.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 3, 2009, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
I bet liberals are at fault, somehow.
While that would be the preferred thing, I'm tempted to think that there's something else...

-t

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2009, 04:41 PM

Alaska is seceding from the US.

Sarah Palin is now the Queen of the Country of Alaska.

She is declaring independence from the USA on the 4th of July.
( Last edited by hyteckit; Jul 3, 2009 at 04:47 PM. )
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

kobi
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 3, 2009, 04:49 PM

After going to 5 different colleges and a host of dead end jobs before being governor, does anyone think that she would complete something? Much less her first term in office?

I'm with you Turtle, for her to resign so quickly leads me to think the other shoe is about to drop.

Hell Sanford was caught in an affair and still hasn't resigned, now Palin up and quits? Fishy.

Could be something or nothing? I'm sure we'll found out in the coming days.
The Religious Right is neither.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 3, 2009, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by kobi View Post
After going to 5 different colleges and a host of dead end jobs before being governor, does anyone think that she would complete something? Much less her first term in office?
I have to agree, this is really bad. And if she can't handle the heat of being a governor while having to deal with all the leftist nitpicking, she for sure is no presidential material.

For shame.

-t

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 3, 2009, 08:51 PM

There are rumors of something big about to drop. She quit before she was forced to quit.
(I don't have any sort of "inside" information.)

Warren Pease
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 3, 2009, 08:58 PM

“As I thought about this announcement that I would not seek re-election, I thought about how much fun other governors have as lame ducks: They maybe travel around their state, travel to other states, maybe take their overseas international trade missions,” she said.

“I’m not going to put Alaskans through that,” she continued. “I promised efficiencies and effectiveness. That’s not how I’m wired. I’m not wired to operate under the same old politics as usual.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/04/us...ef=global-home

Her excuse is weak at best. She could have easily not traveled around the state, not traveled overseas and not done "politics as usual". Ya know, maybe set an example for others, like a leader might do.

If it were any other politician, I'd think scandal, but with her, it might just be Palin being herself. (Neither would surprise me)

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2009, 11:00 PM

It's about time. She was in way over her head.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 4, 2009, 12:15 AM

Classic Palin:

But at another point she invoked a military quotation, misattributing it to Gen. Douglas MacArthur, in what seemed to be an effort to wave aside any suggestion that she was abandoning the fight. “He said, ‘We’re not retreating; we are advancing in another direction,’ ” she said. (The remark was actually said by Maj. Gen. Oliver Prince Smith.)

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2009, 11:27 AM

Perhaps she will putting full attention to SarahPac, and retaking the house in 2010.
45/47

kobi
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 4, 2009, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Perhaps she will putting full attention to SarahPac, and retaking the house in 2010.
I don't know what the saddest part about your comment:

The fact that you think Palin can help the Republican party in anyway.

Or that you think that Republican's actually have a shot at winning something in 2010?

Please tell me your joking on both counts?

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2009, 12:15 PM

I don't know what the saddest part about your comment:

The fact that you think Palin can help the Republican party in anyway.

Or that you think that Republican's actually have a shot at winning something in 2010?

Please tell me your joking on both counts?
They said the same thing about Reagan.

If this trend continues, the Senate could go as well
45/47

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 4, 2009, 12:23 PM

Hasn't Palin screwed our party over enough already by losing the presidency? Now she needs to hand the House to the Democrats as well?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jul 4, 2009, 12:25 PM

Wow. Please tell me your credentials include something other than internet troll that you feel somehow qualified to critique an incredibly successful woman.
ebuddy

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2009, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Hasn't Palin screwed our party over enough already by losing the presidency? Now she needs to hand the House to the Democrats as well?
The Democrats already have the House, and the Senate.
McCain lost that election because the economy tank (on queue) and by refusing to allow anyone bring up his connections to Bill Ayres, Rev Wright, and others. Had McCain chosen another moderate like himself , his loss would have been on the scale of Mondale's. Yes your right, we need another McCain, Dole, or Ford to run in 2012.
45/47

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 4, 2009, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
Wow. Please tell me your credentials include something other than internet troll that you feel somehow qualified to critique an incredibly successful woman.
You know I'm not a kobi fan, but he's gotta point.

That Palin couldn't even finish one term is a very sad testimony to her lack of endurance.

-t

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 4, 2009, 01:20 PM

After hearing the speech, I have some tips for Palin should she decide to reenter politics.

1) Speak slowly.
2) Take pauses.
3) Use said pauses to breathe. Quietly.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2009, 01:25 PM

Incredibly successful people don't quit jobs which they worked hard to get, and let people down who voted for them. Just because she is/was the governor of a state doesn't make her "incredibly" successful. One has to give her credit for connecting with Joe Six-pack; unfortunately Mr. Six-pack doesn't have many interests other than obtaining another six-pack. Your turn, to silence me again.

OreoCookie
Jul 4, 2009, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post

That Palin couldn't even finish one term is a very sad testimony to her lack of endurance.
Plus, her speech was still incredibly stupid (she still changes trains of thought in mid-sentence). She didn't really say why she is leaving: if she was quitting politics for personal reasons, she could have said so. If she was eyeing for national politics, then I don't really see why this is supposedly a good move -- at the very least, she could have used the attention to let the people know she's heading to Washington.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 4, 2009, 01:44 PM

Somebuddy's got a crush.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 4, 2009, 02:12 PM

The Democrats already have the House, and the Senate.
McCain lost that election because the economy tank (on queue) and by refusing to allow anyone bring up his connections to Bill Ayres, Rev Wright, and others. Had McCain chosen another moderate like himself , his loss would have been on the scale of Mondale's. Yes your right, we need another McCain, Dole, or Ford to run in 2012.
Nobody gives a crap about Ayers except hardcore Republican attack dogs, who — guess what — did not need convincing to vote Republican.

I don't feel that we need a moderate, but we do need somebody who doesn't seem like the incompetent, ignorant tyrant that Palin comes across as. I'd be happy with a rabid libertarian-leaning candidate.
( Last edited by Chuckit; Jul 4, 2009 at 02:18 PM. )
Chuck
___

kobi
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 4, 2009, 02:58 PM

Really? Troll huh? With your posts you have the temerity to call somebody a troll. What a joke.

The simple fact that you called her successful explains everything.

That's why she's Governor Palin, not Vice President Palin...........cause of her success correct?

kobi
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 4, 2009, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
After hearing the speech, I have some tips for Palin should she decide to reenter politics.

1) Speak slowly.
2) Take pauses.
3) Use said pauses to breathe. Quietly.
I agree.

Is it me or did she look really scared while giving her speech?

Also look up her transcript of said speech. The exclamation points alone are laugh worthy.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2009, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
There are rumors of something big about to drop. She quit before she was forced to quit.
(I don't have any sort of "inside" information.)
This, maybe?

Is it a rite of passage for Alaskan politicians to get their home improvement work paid for by someone else?

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jul 4, 2009, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Somebuddy's got a crush.
I'm only compelled to defend a woman from ad homs by those who simply disagree with her philosophically.
ebuddy

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jul 4, 2009, 06:16 PM

Did she not complete college? Somehow the number of colleges you attend is relevant? I mean, had she not run against a popular democrat she'd have been viewed as a perfectly fine example of a successful woman. You really believe kobi has a problem with someone's collegiate credentials or is it just another dig against someone for whom he disagrees politically? I'm guessing the latter and I maintain I'm likely correct.

I think it's a sad testimony that you can't have political differences nor aspirations (particularly those that oppose the preferred ideology) without having to compromise your husband and worse, your children. Endurance is one thing. Being mired in debt due to the constant barrage of frivolous lawsuits and unprecedented, unrelenting character attacks not only on herself, but her husband and daughters is another.

Look, I don't want her running for President in 2012. I've been very open about how weak I felt her showings were during the campaign and I just don't think she's a strong enough figure for the global, political arena. I don't think her treatment has been fair or even civil however and I'm compelled to defend her against the leftist onslaught machine; a machine that would have absolutely no problems with the pregnant teens of their preferred politicians nor the number of colleges they attended.
ebuddy

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jul 4, 2009, 06:23 PM

Really? Troll huh? With your posts you have the temerity to call somebody a troll. What a joke.

The simple fact that you called her successful explains everything.

That's why she's Governor Palin, not Vice President Palin...........cause of her success correct?
Are you suggesting that your post is not that of a troll because it is perfectly reasonable to gauge someone's success by whether or not they were able to attain the office of Vice President of the United States?

Yeah, you're a troll.
ebuddy

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2009, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by OldManMac View Post
Incredibly successful people don't quit jobs which they worked hard to get, and let people down who voted for them.
You're right. They normally spend all their time while in those jobs not doing their jobs, hoping that they can quit those jobs when they achieve something else. See "Barrack Obama" for example.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 4, 2009, 11:39 PM

I think it's a sad testimony that you can't have political differences nor aspirations (particularly those that oppose the preferred ideology) without having to compromise your husband and worse, your children.
Pff, that's a given in politics.

And grass is green. What's your point ?

-t

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2009, 12:21 AM

I think it's a sad testimony that you can't have political differences nor aspirations (particularly those that oppose the preferred ideology) without having to compromise your husband and worse, your children. Endurance is one thing. Being mired in debt due to the constant barrage of frivolous lawsuits and unprecedented, unrelenting character attacks not only on herself, but her husband and daughters is another.
Except of course when it's those whom you disagree with. Life in the public spotlight is tough; those who have aspirations toward a public career should know that before getting in the water (particularly at the national level). She had no business being elevated to the national spotlight, as she is woefully under qualified to be the Vice President, let alone the President if something happens to the incumbent. She's damn lucky she got to be governor of Alaska, and it appears that she decided that she wouldn't honor the commitment that entails. She quit on the people who elected her, possibly to entertain the foolish dream that she's going to get back into the national spotlight, where she would only embarrass herself worse than the last time.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2009, 01:15 AM

I have no doubt that if a re-election were held tomorrow, McCain would win. Even the most liberal media outlets are taking pot-shots at Obama (last Sunday NPR was downright scathing).

As for Palin, she's a twit. I said it during the election, and I'll say it now. She has no business running a 7-11, much less a state or nation.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2009, 05:00 AM

-t
I believe the ultimate conclusion to be drawn is that by "change" they really meant more of the same, and to a far greater degree.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jul 5, 2009, 09:36 AM

Hence, the sad testimony.

You've already reiterated it.
ebuddy

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jul 5, 2009, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by OldManMac View Post
Except of course when it's those whom you disagree with.
Example please? Of course you won't be able to produce one, but somehow the shame of blatantly lying for expediency will continue to elude you.

Life in the public spotlight is tough; those who have aspirations toward a public career should know that before getting in the water (particularly at the national level). She had no business being elevated to the national spotlight, as she is woefully under qualified to be the Vice President, let alone the President if something happens to the incumbent. She's damn lucky she got to be governor of Alaska, and it appears that she decided that she wouldn't honor the commitment that entails. She quit on the people who elected her, possibly to entertain the foolish dream that she's going to get back into the national spotlight, where she would only embarrass herself worse than the last time.
I have no idea why she's decided to resign and neither do you. Many believe the current VP is woefully unqualified to hold his post and God help us all if something happens to the President. Your opinions of Palin are noted though I'm not certain they'd be any more favorable of her if she represented herself more effectively. After all, she's not of the preferred ideology.

As far as her being qualified for governor of Alaska; she's been among the most popular of them. She is no good to the State of Alaska mired in the leftist smear-machine, having to perpetually "lawyer up".

BTW, If she's so damned ineffective OldMan, why so much focus on her???
ebuddy

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 5, 2009, 10:17 AM

BTW, If she's so damned ineffective OldMan, why so much focus on her???
Probably because there's a strong chance that the social conservatives would put her up as the Republican candidate for 2012 and that her Joe-six-pack-appeal will get her elected, despite her obvious inabilities to be President.

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2009, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Probably because there's a strong chance that the social conservatives would put her up as the Republican candidate for 2012 and that her Joe-six-pack-appeal will get her elected, despite her obvious inabilities to be President.
That didn't stop Barry, why should it stop Sarah? At least she's on the right side of most issues and didn't stoop to outright lying to get in office like him.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 5, 2009, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by stupendousman View Post
At least she ... didn't stoop to outright lying to get in office like him.
Well, that's an opinion that depends on who's kool-aid you were drinking. All politicians lie.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2009, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by stupendousman View Post
That didn't stop Barry, why should it stop Sarah? At least she's on the right side of most issues and didn't stoop to outright lying to get in office like him.
The only reason she didn't lie is because she can't get the sentence out in the first place.
Chuck
___

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jul 5, 2009, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Can someone please explain exactly who "Joe Six-pack" is? I have a feeling there's a really sweeping generalization in there that begs critique from anyone claiming any semblance of tolerance.
ebuddy

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2009, 12:53 PM

Chuck
___

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2009, 02:10 PM

The only reason she didn't lie is because she can't get the sentence out in the first place.
If you read the Vanity Fair piece it seems there were instances in which she even tried to mislead the McCain campaign.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2009, 02:13 PM

Just as i suspected, you'll still have "Palin to kick around"
from her face book page
I shared with you yesterday my heartfelt and candid reasons for this change; I’ve never thought I needed a title before one’s name to forge progress in America. I am now looking ahead and how we can advance this country together with our values of less government intervention, greater energy independence, stronger national security, and much-needed fiscal restraint. I hope you will join me. Now is the time to rebuild and help our nation achieve greatness!

God bless you! And I look forward to making a difference – with you!

Sarah
45/47

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2009, 02:40 PM

She's not being candid about her reason to step down. So she shouldn't complain when everyone publicly muses about her motives. But she'll complain anyway.

She probably wants the free time to write her book, give speeches for big money, and improve her image enough to run for the White House. Of course, quitting hurts her image, as does quitting without a clear reason. So she's just digging her own grave.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2009, 02:49 PM

You don't need a title before your name to promote those things, Palin, but you do need to actually believe in them.
Chuck
___

Warren Pease
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 5, 2009, 03:28 PM

You don't need a title before your name to promote those things, Palin, but you do need to actually believe in them.
Seems like she's changed her stance on community organizers.

Forum Links
Forum Rules