Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Palin stepping down

Palin stepping down (Page 4)
Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2009, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by kobi View Post
Damned if she does.

Actually by her quitting, she's costing the citizens of Alaska over $200,000. Special session and all to appoint a new Lt. Governor.

Still quoting Alinsky I see, read The Prince yet?
Machiavelli's "The Prince" is is a bit irrelevant since his discourse is on principalities.
I WILL leave out all discussion on republics, inasmuch as in another place I have written of them at length, and will address myself only to principalities. In doing so I will keep to the order indicated above, and discuss how such principalities are to be ruled and preserved.
45/47

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2009, 09:38 PM

Your trolling skills are getting better I must say.

Where are these bad approval numbers for his policies? Here's some polls for you to learn from:

Approval rates for two Obama's "Administrative moves"

Obama's approval rating 58%

Stimulus Package 67% approval

Heathcare Reform 63% Approval That's with 6 out of 10 saying the government should guarantee health care

I'm sure supporters of the Whig party said the same thing.

If the Democratic platform isn't strong enough to win nationally, how do you explain the polls I've linked or the approval ratings for President Obama's policies? Why isn't the Republican's running the show? Because they lost nationally across the board to guess what.......a democratic liberal platform.
I find it amusing that you accuse ebuddy of "not reading his own links" then support your argument with polls from february. The numbers for today are far less supporting to Obama's agenda.

Your correct Obama ran on fiscal responsibility and tax cuts and he's done it. As soon as the Bush tax cuts expire, the middle class will get a tax cut and the upper tax brackets will see a tax increase.......how is that different than his campaign promises?
For the fact that he told the american public that if you made less than 250k a year or whatever that our taxes would not increase one single dime. He's already raised taxes on items that hit mainly the lower classes in our society, and has promised more to come. Much more.

You can blame it on the GOP not governing conservatively or what ever lie gets you through the day, but that's not what happened.
I'm not quite sure honesty is a platform to argue on for the democrats. The entire Obama campaign is a sham, one which the American public is quickly coming to realize. Whether they realize it in time is another story.

You can't run on a platform of "Country First" when all your party has ever represented has been "Corporations First" and expect to win.
Goverment first is a helluva lot better. Can't wait for that.

How can the truth lose creditability? Bush destroyed not only this country but another sovereign nation called Iraq; That's the truth, those are facts. I'm sorry that the truth hurts about Bush ruining the economy, but as the Stimulus works Obama's numbers will do nothing but increase. Placing blame on Bush where it belongs will never tire, as Bush will be known as the President who almost caused another Depression, and invaded a sovereign nation for personal gain. Trust me after the Obama administration prosecutes Bush officals, for torture the Republican party's implosion will make the Whig party's implosion look like a tea party.

It's going to a long eight years for you.
You are but a troll, one which ignores credibility from an agenda different than yours and skews your own data to fit your ultimate goals. I've lost all respect for the way you carry yourself about.

You aren't interested in honest discussion - not one bit.

andi*pandi
Jul 12, 2009, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
"Sarah Palin is a podunk-hayseed-redneck-moose killing-salmon fishing-I can see Russia from my house-Caribou Barbie-quitter"
Can I get that on a tshirt? Oh, but throw in maverick somewhere in there.

kobi
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 13, 2009, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by Snow-i View Post
For the fact that he told the american public that if you made less than 250k a year or whatever that our taxes would not increase one single dime. He's already raised taxes on items that hit mainly the lower classes in our society, and has promised more to come. Much more.
Could you please show where Obama has raised taxes? Considering that his tax code won't go into effect until the 2011 tax season, how could he have raised taxes?

I'm not quite sure honesty is a platform to argue on for the democrats.
Pot. Kettle. Black.

Your saying the Democrats aren't the honest ones? Sorry your confused. It was the GOP started two wars that cost us a Trillion dollars, and put America in the worst recession since the great depression based on a lie; The Democrats didn't.

The entire Obama campaign is a sham, one which the American public is quickly coming to realize. Whether they realize it in time is another story.
Sorry but no matter how many times you tell yourself that, won't make it true.

It's responses like these that undermines all credibility, by saying things that outlandish and untruthful turns your posts into a segment from the Bill O'Reilly show. Regurgitating the Rights talking points doesn't start or continue a conversation, it ends them.

After all it took 8 years of Bush before the people gave the Republicans the boot on national and state levels. Sad thing is that most Republicans still don't see Bush for what he was, but the Democrats do.

Goverment first is a helluva lot better. Can't wait for that.
Are you writing Palin's 2012 slogan? Sounds like something she's say.

You are but a troll, one which ignores credibility from an agenda different than yours and skews your own data to fit your ultimate goals. I've lost all respect for the way you carry yourself about.
No I wouldn't be a Troll, I would be a Republican.

You aren't interested in honest discussion - not one bit.
Again. Pot. Kettle. Black. See above where you lost all credibility by spewing Right wing talking points.

I'm sorry that you can't handle a healthy discourse with someone who's views differ from yours, must make life difficult since your views are the outlier from the majority of the country.
The Religious Right is neither.

kobi
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 13, 2009, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Can I get that on a tshirt? Oh, but throw in maverick somewhere in there.
I'm printing them up now, I'll send you one.

kobi
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 13, 2009, 01:25 AM

Machiavelli's "The Prince" is is a bit irrelevant since his discourse is on principalities.
But "The Prince" is about so much more than just principalities, it can be a guide for life. Next to Locke, Machiavelli is my favorite author.

Thanks for the quote.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 13, 2009, 02:36 AM

Every time I hear the word maverick I think of Tom Selleck. Why didn't we elect Tom Selleck instead? At least he's a red blooded American and not some sort of crypto muslim.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2009, 03:14 AM

Could you please show where Obama has raised taxes? Considering that his tax code won't go into effect until the 2011 tax season, how could he have raised taxes?

Pot. Kettle. Black.

Your saying the Democrats aren't the honest ones? Sorry your confused. It was the GOP started two wars that cost us a Trillion dollars, and put America in the worst recession since the great depression based on a lie; The Democrats didn't.

Sorry but no matter how many times you tell yourself that, won't make it true.

It's responses like these that undermines all credibility, by saying things that outlandish and untruthful turns your posts into a segment from the Bill O'Reilly show. Regurgitating the Rights talking points doesn't start or continue a conversation, it ends them.

After all it took 8 years of Bush before the people gave the Republicans the boot on national and state levels. Sad thing is that most Republicans still don't see Bush for what he was, but the Democrats do.

Again. Pot. Kettle. Black. See above where you lost all credibility by spewing Right wing talking points.

I'm sorry that you can't handle a healthy discourse with someone who's views differ from yours, must make life difficult since your views are the outlier from the majority of the country.

Didn't address the poll from february? Didn't have an answer for that one? Or are you just proving exactly what I'm accusing you of which is ignoring facts that don't suit your purposes?

There is nothing healthy about your brand of "discourse." The only purpose it serves is your own, and does nothing for the rest of us. You have no interest in progress and invalidate others' arguments by doing nothing more than citing the republican party as the spawn of satan. Your arguments go little further and offer nothing to someone who has real interest in gaining perspective from differing ideologies.

I don't "spew" right wing talking points. I support my arguments honestly and without making statements founded on nothing but political fodder, any wing talking points, and general foul attitude. These are all characteristics that your posts reek of.

I also never said the republican party was honest. If you ask me? They're all crooks...which is why entrusting a larger role for government is innately a bad idea. I don't want democrats or republicans making decisions for me. I want to make them myself.

Pot, meet strawman.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2009, 03:23 AM

Tobacco is an all too easy example. Most smokers are lower income

Maybe she's onto something.

You'd be a politician.

Anti-Left Wing doesn't mean Right wing.

I'll reiterate. There is nothing healthy about your style of discussion. You have no tolerance for differing ideologies and use less than honest tactics to further your agenda. When you can't provide an intelligent response you just go on about evil republicans and offer nothing towards actual progress.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2009, 07:46 AM

I'm great thanks for asking, were about to pass Healthcare care reform with a public option, the Stimulus is working and the Cap and Trade bill is about to pass the Senate. Things are looking up for the first time in the last 8 years.
We're about to pass healthcare reform? Really? Where? The stimulus is working so well they're talking about another stimulus before we've even spent 10% on the "shovel-ready" BS that was supposed to stop us from exceeding 8% unemployment from the first one.

Cap and Trade will absolutely, positively be the Democrats undoing in 2010. Don't take my word for it. Watch them pass it and see the lost seats.

I will admit ebuddy, you got me, your poll says what you said. Sorry.
I would've accepted the apology if it hadn't gotten so thick below.

My question is did you even read your own poll you linked? I doubt it. If you did you would see that included in your 40% number..........is wait for it............Democrats and Independants.
Of course the poll says exactly what I said. That's why I posted it. I read it, found that it says exactly what I've been saying about your fallacious notion of voting straight down the party lines, and posted it because it establishes my point. I know... pesky facts and all.

Face it. Liberal is a bad word for a reason. Their policies suck and you can't get elected on liberal principles. That's why politicians run on a generally conservative platform, then about-face while in office.

Like I said you got me, 40% of those who were polled said they were Conservative. It was my own error in context, as I confused Conservative as meaning Republican that's what I was calling BS on. My only guess is that you think Conservative=Republican, but it doesn't otherwise you wouldn't have linked the poll.
Yeah... I got ya... and as usual it was too easy.
Otherwise, I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to say here. I know Conservative ≠Republican hence my statement in the first place of; "It might shock you to know that many people don't vote blindly down the party line anyway." Of course, if I'm guilty of anything it may have been giving you too much credit for reading comp. So essentially, you've called BS on your own BS? Nice.

Here's what else your linked poll says. It's not good for the GOP, but you already knew that because you read it right?
All this means is that the word "Republican" is found equally insulting as the word "liberal". Why? Because Republicans have been practicing liberalism in office.

Lets see, 36% of Americans are Democratic, 28% are Republican. When the independents are pressed to choose a side the numbers become 51% Democrats to 39% Republican.
Interesting how the polled have found their majority conservative identity in the Democrat party.

How are those numbers good for the GOP again? Can't win elections when all you have is 39% of the vote. Or does 39% over 51% in the Republican world?
The "defense" of the GOP notion was not given any thrust by me my Democratic apologist friend. I'm not defending the GOP. I'm discussing conservatism and you're projecting partisanship onto me because you're mired in it. I'm not surprised you're having difficulty here.

Your trolling skills are getting better I must say.
Unfortunately, this is not evidenced by our discussion kobi. You've had an exceptionally dismal showing here.

Where are these bad approval numbers for his policies? Here's some polls for you to learn from:

Approval rates for two Obama's "Administrative moves"

Obama's approval rating 58%

Stimulus Package 67% approval

Heathcare Reform 63% Approval That's with 6 out of 10 saying the government should guarantee health care
As indicated and left unaddressed, you're citing antiquated polls in an effort to bolster your opinion; which of course has nothing to do with anything of credibility. As always.

I'm sure supporters of the Whig party said the same thing.
I see your fondness for all things ancient, but...

If the Democratic platform isn't strong enough to win nationally, how do you explain the polls I've linked or the approval ratings for President Obama's policies? Why isn't the Republican's running the show? Because they lost nationally across the board to guess what.......a democratic liberal platform.
No. The move in 2006 was decidedly that of propping up the most conservative of Democrats to win seats.

Your correct Obama ran on fiscal responsibility and tax cuts and he's done it. As soon as the Bush tax cuts expire, the middle class will get a tax cut and the upper tax brackets will see a tax increase.......how is that different than his campaign promises?
C'mon kobi.

You can blame it on the GOP not governing conservatively or what ever lie gets you through the day, but that's not what happened.
As so deemed by the most credible kobi. I'm calling BS.

What happened was the last GOP president like the ones before him (Reagan and Bush Sr.) sold this country to the highest bidder, for their own economic gain. They all left this country in shambles economically with recessions for each Republican president since 1980. The Republicans not wanting to change a thing, put up the same type of Republican as all the rest, and the voters didn't buy his or the party's lies; So he lost. Simple really.
He was actually running neck and neck with Obama until he suspended his campaign in the most blunderous of political blunders; to run to Washington and sign off on economic policy the overwhelming majority of Americans opposed at the time. This put him on equal footing with Obama. All things being equal, Obama was certainly the better candidate for President, but then... McCain was no conservative either.

You can't run on a platform of "Country First" when all your party has ever represented has been "Corporations First" and expect to win. Voters are dumb, but not that dumb. Well I take that back McCain did get votes so they are that dumb.
After all this focus on how the American public has chosen its representation, you close with how dumb they are?

Ahem......i suggest you look at polling for the 2010 Senate Races before you speak.
There's open Republican seats in these states:
Kansas
Florida
Texas
Ohio
New Hampshire
Missouri
and possibly a open seat in Oklahoma with Tom Coburn being involved in the John Ensign mistress payoff scandal.

All I see there is seven more seats for the Democrats.
That's all you would see kobi, but we've already established how little facts contribute to your Democratic apologetics.

How can the truth lose creditability? Bush destroyed not only this country but another sovereign nation called Iraq; That's the truth, those are facts. I'm sorry that the truth hurts about Bush ruining the economy, but as the Stimulus works Obama's numbers will do nothing but increase. Placing blame on Bush where it belongs will never tire, as Bush will be known as the President who almost caused another Depression, and invaded a sovereign nation for personal gain. Trust me after the Obama administration prosecutes Bush officals, for torture the Republican party's implosion will make the Whig party's implosion look like a tea party.
For the Democratic Party to launch into prosecutorial action against Bush (another move for which the majority of Americans oppose) during which time Bush's approval is actually increasing, you and they would personally see to it that a Democrat does not exist in the House and Senate come 2010. Another, "go for it. PLEASE!" is in order. BTW, the most painful aspect of all this will be to watch how much kinder history is to Bush than they were to him while in office.

It's going to a long eight years for you.
Bring on the absolute hamstringing gridlock of 2010. The Conservatives are coming and they've hijacked the Republican Party.
ebuddy

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2009, 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Every time I hear the word maverick I think of Tom Selleck. Why didn't we elect Tom Selleck instead? At least he's a red blooded American and not some sort of crypto muslim.
I think of Top Gun. Let's not suggest Tom Cruise for president.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2009, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
All this means is that the word "Republican" is found equally insulting as the word "liberal". Why? Because Republicans have been practicing liberalism in office.
You owe me a new keyboard.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2009, 08:29 PM

MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2009, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by stevesnj View Post
Not any more unethical than the Clinton defense fund.
New Clinton Legal Defense Fund Created - February 18, 1998
45/47

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2009, 12:00 AM

New Clinton Legal Defense Fund Created - February 18, 1998
Can't answer the charge, drag up something old. The thread was about Palin.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 22, 2009, 12:15 AM

It is according to the Alaska constitution.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jul 22, 2009, 07:55 AM

... another ethics probe. Egadz. I've not seen a busier bunch of people. Well... maybe if they keep throwing enough spaghetti at the wall, something will stick. Then again, maybe not.
ebuddy

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2009, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
It is according to the Alaska constitution.
No, it may be a violation of the state ethics law.
From the CNN.com article.
Daniel wrote that it would be "particularly appropriate" for the state to pay legal fees for a public official when an ethics complaint is dismissed -- but he said the state Ethics Act would have to be changed to do so.

"I can only apply the Ethics Act as currently written," he wrote. "And as currently written, it does not allow a state official to use her position to solicit funds to pay for a private attorney or any other personal expense."
45/47

stumblinmike
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 27, 2009, 06:07 PM

Just watched the farewell speech...wow. I know crazy, and this mama is CRAZEEEEE!!! Hope she runs in 2012!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 27, 2009, 07:47 PM

I keep refreshing my Twitter page waiting in anticipation for her next tweet!

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 27, 2009, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by stumblinmike View Post
Just watched the farewell speech...wow. I know crazy, and this mama is CRAZEEEEE!!! Hope she runs in 2012!
Funny, I heard the same thing said about Reagan. (and he was stupid , old and senile, a war monger...)

45/47

stumblinmike
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 27, 2009, 08:08 PM

But America learned it's lesson from Ronnie. Well, 74% of America did anyways.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 27, 2009, 08:45 PM

I heard Obama was a foreign born Muslim Marxist who pals around with terrorist.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Gee-Man
Senior User
Jul 27, 2009, 09:11 PM

Funny, I heard the same thing said about Reagan. (and he was stupid , old and senile, a war monger...)
The Republican Party truly is toast if you think Sarah Palin can be compared to Ronald Reagan in any way, shape, or form.

I absolutely despised Reagan's policies, but Reagan had more smarts, grasp of policy, and political skill in his discarded toenail clippings than Palin could ever hope to have. She makes Dan Quayle look like Colin Powell.

But please, continue to insist that liberals are "just jealous" or "scared" of Palin. Please, please, please try to nominate her in 2012. We just can't wait to be thrown in that briar patch!

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 27, 2009, 09:18 PM

Sarah Palin/Dan Quayle 2012

Yeah!

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2009, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
I heard Obama was a foreign born Muslim Marxist who pals around with terrorist.
You did. It was part of Hillary Clinton's smear-campaign against Obama. It was disturbing to watch a Democrat eat her young like that.
ebuddy

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2009, 09:37 PM

Granted, I really hope and hope upon hope (and communicate to my Republican brethren) that Palin not continue to be propped up as some kind of Republican leader or spokesperson. Who then?

Please God, inspire in this woman (Dana Perino) the desire to run. She's sharp, beautiful, eloquent, biting, and brilliant. She espouses the right things, the right way, for the right. She's my pick, but we're going to need more.
ebuddy

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 27, 2009, 09:42 PM

Granted, I really hope and hope upon hope (and communicate to my Republican brethren) that Palin not continue to be propped up as some kind of Republican leader or spokesperson. Who then?

Please God, inspire in this woman the desire to run. She's sharp, beautiful, eloquent, biting, and brilliant. She espouses the right things, the right way, for the right. She's my pick, but we're going to need more.
You might as well go with:

Rush Limbaugh / Ann Coulter 2012

stumblinmike
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 27, 2009, 09:44 PM

There you go again, the little head is thinking for the big head. I hope your wish comes true. Why not one of the Fox talking heads? Their blond and buxom and oh so delicious...mmmmmmm...candy.....

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2009, 09:54 PM

There you go again, the little head is thinking for the big head.
You'd have the same problem if you actually had a big head.
ebuddy

stumblinmike
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 27, 2009, 09:58 PM

good one!

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2009, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
You might as well go with:

Rush Limbaugh / Ann Coulter 2012
It's this kind of ignorance and false sense of security that eventually relents to a Republican majority. Don't take my word for it. Obama and his Obamatons are seeing to it personally.
ebuddy

stumblinmike
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 27, 2009, 10:11 PM

It's this kind of ignorance and false sense of security that eventually relents to a Republican majority. Don't take my word for it. Obama and his Obamatons are seeing to it personally.
You wingnutters are a dying breed (literally). Everybody knows that the illegal aliens and their offspring vote Democratic. They will quickly eclipse all of white America voters, give Texas back to the Mexicans, and replace the 4th of July with the 5th of May! And I, for one, say hip, hip, hooray!

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2009, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by stumblinmike
You wingnutters are a dying breed (literally). Everybody knows that the illegal aliens and their offspring vote Democratic. They will quickly eclipse all of white America voters, give Texas back to the Mexicans, and replace the 4th of July with the 5th of May! And I, for one, say hip, hip, hooray!
The voice behind the Democratic Party ladies and gentlemen. Your progressive movement. I hope you give your ilk the courage to speak out stumblinmike.

You represent perhaps the only thing that could hope to give Republicans the solidarity and resolve to replenish sanity in Washington.

ebuddy

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 27, 2009, 10:29 PM

Mark Sanford / John Ensign 2012
We think with our little heads

Rumor  (op)
Jul 27, 2009, 10:29 PM

Wow, talk about wingnut....
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2009, 10:31 PM

Ah the Pol. Lounge, always good for a nice every so often.

stumblinmike
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 27, 2009, 10:31 PM

Helen Thomas eats the FOX news babes for breakfast!

Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2009, 10:33 PM

Well she's less attractive so clearly she loses. And thus Democrats are stupid and will never learn the error of their ways.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 27, 2009, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Gee-Man View Post
She makes Dan Quayle look like Colin Powell.
Joe Biden makes Dan Quayle look like Einstein.

Speaking of Powell (and Meghan McCain) The Republicans nominated the very type of candidate he was espousing, three time, and lost. Ford in '76, Dole in '96, and McCain in 2008.

But please, continue to insist that liberals are "just jealous" or "scared" of Palin.
Why the relentless attacks on her and her family?

Please, please, please try to nominate her in 2012. We just can't wait to be thrown in that briar patch!
Be careful what what you wish for. Carter got what he wished for.
45/47

Rumor  (op)
Jul 27, 2009, 11:03 PM

IMO, Palin should have done another term as Governor. On a national scene it looks bad, no matter the reason for her to resign. If she would have stuck in there, ran for another term, and made Alaska prosper, she may be a candidate for an election. The way it sits now (in my eyes) is that if the heat comes on, she will quit. No matter the crap any President went through (except Nixon), none have ever resigned.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2009, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
Well she's less attractive so clearly she loses. And thus Democrats are stupid and will never learn the error of their ways.
It goes way beyond looks adamfishercox. I suggested that stumblinmike was the voice of Democrats and progressives. This was wrong and I apologize to the reasonable left.

I did not post the pic of Dana Perino solely because she is attractive. stumblinmike predictably seized upon the path of least intellectual resistance, hit 'Submit Reply', and I'm the subject of your rebuke for responding in kind. I can't expect you to have read the entire context of our discussion, but whether it is you reacting in a biased fashion or missing half the conversation does not matter.

Either way you're not a credible witness to the conversation.
ebuddy

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2009, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
IMO, Palin should have done another term as Governor. On a national scene it looks bad, no matter the reason for her to resign. If she would have stuck in there, ran for another term, and made Alaska prosper, she may be a candidate for an election. The way it sits now (in my eyes) is that if the heat comes on, she will quit. No matter the crap any President went through (except Nixon), none have ever resigned.
I'm now beginning to believe that if you want Palin to create the foundation for a bid in 2012, you should be very pleased at what she's up to. She has positioned herself very well to fund a fight. She has an extremely sympathetic cause and soon you will not be able to ignore her. She will travel throughout the country facilitating the election of a great many Republicans in 2010 and her involvement in all things Party will be considered paramount. If she's serious, and plays her cards right; there will be absolutely nothing about the next two years of her life that will appear "quitter!".

I personally do not want her to muddy the waters of Republican candidacy for 2012. As such, I'm watching with very cautious optimism.
ebuddy

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 27, 2009, 11:41 PM

ebuddy, you forgot your <sarcasm> tag.

Gee-Man
Senior User
Jul 28, 2009, 12:03 AM

Joe Biden makes Dan Quayle look like Einstein.

Speaking of Powell (and Meghan McCain) The Republicans nominated the very type of candidate he was espousing, three time, and lost. Ford in '76, Dole in '96, and McCain in 2008.
Subject change, then a complete misunderstanding of the analogy. I'd give it a 9.95, but with only a 4.0 difficulty level.

But your theory is completely wrong. Republicans have also nominated hard-core ideologues and lost. See Goldwater in '64. The pattern you're looking for, that everybody loves a wingnut, does not exist. The times and different moods of the country, combined with whatever the incumbent was doing or did not do, is what affects presidential races, not some kind of fixed right-left-wing spectrum.

How about "She makes Dan Quayle look like {insert name of moderately capable Republican here}." Better?

Why the relentless attacks on her and her family?
Relentless questions about her. Anybody who runs for the second-highest executive office in the land needs to be able to stand up to a minimal amount of scrutiny. She obviously couldn't handle even that, and quit midway through her first term - only the 3rd time that's ever happened in US history without some kind of obvious scandal attached to the person.

But the relentless "attacks" on her were persistent and continuous, I agree. As long as you redefine an "attack" as "What do you read to keep up with the news?" or "Do you agree with the Bush Doctrine?", or "Can you name some Supreme Court decisions you disagree with, other than Roe vs. Wade?"

Yes, that old liberal media at work, always asking mean and downright nasty personal questions like that. Tsk, tsk.

Be careful what what you wish for. Carter got what he wished for.
Ooo, a Carter reference. Yeah, that's timely

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 28, 2009, 12:31 AM

Before Obama Change:

After Obama Change:

Change is so awesome

-t

Rumor  (op)
Jul 28, 2009, 12:41 AM

I'm now beginning to believe that if you want Palin to create the foundation for a bid in 2012, you should be very pleased at what she's up to. She has positioned herself very well to fund a fight. She has an extremely sympathetic cause and soon you will not be able to ignore her. She will travel throughout the country facilitating the election of a great many Republicans in 2010 and her involvement in all things Party will be considered paramount. If she's serious, and plays her cards right; there will be absolutely nothing about the next two years of her life that will appear "quitter!".

I personally do not want her to muddy the waters of Republican candidacy for 2012. As such, I'm watching with very cautious optimism.
Meh, it doesn't bother me one way or the other if she decides to run. I am just stating it from my perspective. Should she seem to be better than the other candidate come the next election, her up and quitting from the Governor's seat would weigh heavily in my mind as it would provide doubt about whether she could handle the criticism of being the President.

Please remember that I am not of the Democrats/Liberals that are hoping she runs for the next term. I am as much Democrat/Liberal as I am Republican/Conservative if that helps.

While I think that a woman President would be a great leap for the US, neither Hillary or Sarah are what we are looking for. Then again, with such a divide among the populace, it is impossible to say "we", rather it would be more fitting to say "I".

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 28, 2009, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
While I think that a woman President would be a great leap for the US, neither Hillary or Sarah are what we are looking for. Then again, with such a divide among the populace, it is impossible to say "we", rather it would be more fitting to say "I".
We agree.

-t

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 28, 2009, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by Gee-Man View Post
But your theory is completely wrong. Republicans have also nominated hard-core ideologues and lost. See Goldwater in '64
I knew you would mention Goldwater. Two thing make that election a bit different, the assassination of a romanticized POTUS and this ad

Ooo, a Carter reference. Yeah, that's timely
( Last edited by Chongo; Jul 28, 2009 at 02:00 AM. )
45/47

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 28, 2009, 03:42 AM

Palin won't run for President. She'll be too busy selling herself on a book tour. Palin's days of holding public office are over.

Forum Links
Forum Rules