Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPad Cases

iPad Cases
selowitch
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2010, 12:16 AM

Which iPad case are you ordering and why? I was excited about the Cloak, but they aren't going to be available until May 1st at the earliest. So I need other alternatives.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 5, 2010, 08:22 AM

I just went with Apple's case. It's maybe not the most stable when standing upright (which means, it wouldn't stand stable in any moving environment), but other than that, I like it.

-t

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2010, 08:49 AM

Incase's plain sleeve
I prefer the feel of the iPad (and iPhones) when they're not in a permanent case. This is just a sleeve for when it's in a bag.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 5, 2010, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
I prefer the feel of the iPad (and iPhones) when they're not in a permanent case. This is just a sleeve for when it's in a bag.
I agree, but what do you do when you want the iPad to stand up, or propped up on a table for typing ?
Putting a sleeve / case on and off all the time is a lot of hassle, too.

-t

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2010, 05:20 PM

From what I've seen thus far, which isn't much, I'm leaning towards Apple's as well. Its well designed (not a surprise there) and pretty minimal, in that it doesn't bulk up the iPad too much. I will mostly have the iPad out of the case, but for the times when I take it out of the house, and want to stand it up long term, I'll put it in the case.

I just love the feel of the naked iPad in my hands. Sounds a little kinky.... because it is.

-Q-
Apr 19, 2010, 12:44 PM

Of all the choices so far, even tho' I'm not 100% happy with it, I think the Apple case is probably the best on the market at the moment.

Although I'm curious to see what Mac Case comes up with. I love their Flight Jacket case for my MBP.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 19, 2010, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
I agree, but what do you do when you want the iPad to stand up...
Use the dock.

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2010, 01:09 PM

I'm looking for something that is basically a protective skin that goes over the backside only. And it has to be really thin and minimal, adding little bulk. I just want to protect the back when I lay it down. I cringe every time I lay the iPad down on a surface that has a little dirt on it and hear that sound like grains of sand grinding against the aluminum. <shivers>

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 19, 2010, 01:20 PM

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2010, 01:41 PM

Hmmm... those look like they might do the trick. And being able to create your own design is pretty cool. Thanks for the tip!

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 19, 2010, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
Hmmm... those look like they might do the trick. And being able to create your own design is pretty cool. Thanks for the tip!
The little woman had one on her original iPhone. It fits your requirements so perfectly, I almost thought you were joking.

I don't know if you ever had Colorforms when you were a kid, but a giant Colorform is basically what it is, to give you an idea of its minimal thickness. It's a perfect sort of material to resist "grit scrapes". If you've never had a Colorform, you can think "electrostatic vinyl sticker".

I should mention it has some sort of fiber mesh going on inside the vinyl too, so it's far more tear resistant than a Colorform.
( Last edited by subego; Apr 19, 2010 at 02:14 PM. )

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2010, 03:46 PM

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2010, 04:28 PM

Sweet! I've been poking around their site and they say they use a removable adhesive that doesn't leave any residue, which was a worry I had. But sounds like I'm going to give this a shot. Now I have to come up with a cool custom design!

I saw these a while back for the iPhone, but I really have never felt the need to protect mine. But for some reason I'm a little more protective of the iPad.

I'll post back when I get mine and try it out!

Andrew88088
Apr 30, 2010, 08:56 AM

I'm going to send my Incase Convertible Book jacket back. It's a bit thicker than I thought and it won't stay propped up in the lowest groove, which is the one I would use the most. It also keeps sliding out of the holder a little, so then the ports get misaligned. Good concept, but it needs some tweaking.

kikkoman
Senior User
May 1, 2010, 09:28 AM

I'll probably get the Marware Eco-Vue. It's very similar to the Incase Convertible but appears not to have some of the issues.

Eco-Vue for iPad

ilovemymac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2010, 09:47 PM

im using the Fabrix Magic Sleeve. Love it so far. Just dump my ipad with the sleeve into my bag when i go out most of the time.

Fabrix Magic Sleeve

I'mDaMac
Senior User
May 3, 2010, 12:04 AM

I got both the Apple case and the Griffin Elan sleeve. Around the house I use the sleeve but if I take the iPad out with me it goes in the Apple case. I also prefer the iPad bare so I treat it like I would a laptop instead of my iPhone which is loose in my pockets.
Who'sDaMac?

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 10, 2010, 02:22 PM

I'm realizing more and more that I don't want a case for my iPad. I like the way it feels on its own, although I'm using a sleeve at the moment for throwing into a bag. I may have to pick up an invisible shield for the screen, though. Not for protection, but to keep fingerprints off the damn thing.
( Last edited by andi*pandi; May 10, 2010 at 03:15 PM. )

All glory to the hypnotoad.

andi*pandi
May 10, 2010, 03:22 PM

Excellent suggestions here.

I can recommend these folks if you just want a sleeve, it's nice quality and no fumbling with zippers or snaps. I use one of their cell phone ones that fit my camera.

foof ★ &rarr; iPad or MacBook Sleeve, MacBook Case, iPhone or iPod Soft Pouch

romeosc
Mac Elite
May 10, 2010, 04:02 PM

Img_0096.jpg

I use Apple case. It works great and is light. I installed a couple of door latches to allow watching iPad from kitchen and bathroom cabinets using sling box app.

HenryMelton
May 10, 2010, 04:03 PM

I purchased an Incase slipcase, but I'm not using it much. I reached over and picked up a two year old accordion file I use for paperwork, slipped the iPad in one slot and the Apple Wireless Keyboard in the back pocket that's slightly larger, and while the dock doesn't fit in a slot, it rests nicely on the top when I fold over the flap. I've got my paper handouts and my iPad ready for hand or mini-desktop mode, all in package that doesn't look valuable.

Mawrk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2010, 09:32 AM

I've tried many sleeves, bags and covers but the best one is definitely Macally's Book Case. You can get it from Amazon for $33 only. It's really thin, lightweight and has a view stand which is great for both typing and reading.
( Last edited by -Q-; Jun 10, 2010 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Removal of affiliate link.)

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 10, 2010, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Excellent suggestions here.

I can recommend these folks if you just want a sleeve, it's nice quality and no fumbling with zippers or snaps. I use one of their cell phone ones that fit my camera.

foof ★ &rarr; iPad or MacBook Sleeve, MacBook Case, iPhone or iPod Soft Pouch
Seconded.

I have the carp one. Nice and cushy. I use it as an iPad "coaster" too, so I don't have to hear that grit scratching sound you get from putting the thing down on a solid surface.

Though I should note that as many times as I've heard that sound, there's not a mark on the thing...

Well, no mark other than hand grease.
( Last edited by subego; Jun 10, 2010 at 03:45 PM. )

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 10, 2010, 09:11 PM

We got the Apple case for my wife's iPad; she likes the easel feature in particular.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2010, 08:13 AM

Google Translate
(linked to at TUAW - "iPad in iBook" stand merges past and present )

An iPad in an iBook

Getting away from being portable now but there's a Mac Classic too - http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/10/i...ntosh-classic/
( Last edited by ajprice; Jun 11, 2010 at 09:00 AM. )

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

andi*pandi
Jun 11, 2010, 11:55 AM

ha! that is awesome. The Classic looks classy.

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2010, 01:41 PM

I kept trying to find a third party case I liked, but I finally got the Apple one. I like how thin it is and how little it adds to the bulk of the iPad. The easel feature is nice too, and makes typing a lot easier.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2010, 02:32 PM

Agreed, the Apple case is the best there is.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2010, 03:23 PM

Can't stand the Apple case. Although I like using my iPad sans-case, I think I'll be going with one of these when Moleskine releases it:
Kindle Cover: a new analog-digital hybrid - Moleskine ® English

That's the Kindle version, but the iPad version is rumored to be coming very soon.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2010, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Can't stand the Apple case. Although I like using my iPad sans-case, I think I'll be going with one of these when Moleskine releases it:
Kindle Cover: a new analog-digital hybrid - Moleskine ® English

That's the Kindle version, but the iPad version is rumored to be coming very soon.
I'm in two minds about this.

Part of me really likes the Moleskin. Allows you to take down quick notes on paper while giving, for example, a presentation off the iPad, or note down an observation when reading. But then, I should just use the iPad for those occasions, surely.

And then, how practical is it? With the Apple case I can put the iPad in the kitchen to keep an eye on a recipe, I can watch movies in bed, I can raise it to write longer text entries. The Moleskin doesn't deliver here.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2010, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
I'm in two minds about this.

Part of me really likes the Moleskin. Allows you to take down quick notes on paper while giving, for example, a presentation off the iPad, or note down an observation when reading. But then, I should just use the iPad for those occasions, surely.

And then, how practical is it? With the Apple case I can put the iPad in the kitchen to keep an eye on a recipe, I can watch movies in bed, I can raise it to write longer text entries. The Moleskin doesn't deliver here.
Why doesn't it deliver? Because it can't prop itself up? I guess if that's a feature you need then it wouldn't be the case for you.

As for me, I don't use a case other than a sleeve right now. I don't care about propping up the iPad, and I think the Apple case is a POS. I'm perfectly able to watch movies on it without a case, and the Moleskine will allow very quick removal if I need to.

Also, it's still a rumor that they're even making one of these. If not I'll probably stick with a sleeve and just use the iPad bare.

Hodog16
Jun 22, 2010, 09:42 PM

Decided to go with the case from Macally as recommended at ilounge:

I don't usually prop mine up, so this case gives me a good amount of protection for a minimal amount of added bulk.

Andrew88088
Jun 22, 2010, 11:27 PM

While I was in the Apple store yesterday, I noticed they had at least 10-12 of their iPad cases on the shelf. I asked if they had gotten a steady supply, since I knew they've been sold out constantly. The girl said she didn't even realize they had gotten any in, so I grabbed one on my way out, figuring I could just return it if I didn't like it.

I actually am enjoying it much more than I had thought I would. The price is a bit steep, IMO. I'm really liking how slim it is. I had tried the InCase Convertible Book Jacket, and while I like the concept, it basically tripled the size of the iPad. I think I'll probably end up sticking with the Apple one for now.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2010, 09:20 AM

To me, the price doesn't seem terrible in comparison to what everyone else is selling their ipad cases for (cough incase cough)

osiris24x
Jul 21, 2010, 09:32 PM

As much as I love the feel of the bare iPad (oh my!) I still picked up a black leather Sena case from the Apple store. It stands up better than Apple's case and has a cover that holds my business cards, credit cards, receipts, etc. I feel a lot better about using my iPad when its in a case and thus it gets more use.
Roger Michaels
Apple Certified Consultant
PDXMacRepair.com

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2010, 09:40 PM

I've decided I don't like any of them (too bulky or too expensive) and am making my own. below is the prototype to get dimensions and a feel for use. final version will be wrapped in a light outdoor canvas and might have the elastics concealed. total materials cost will be less than $10.

Flickr: ratzlaff's stuff tagged with ipad

ajprice
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2010, 05:59 AM

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2010, 07:21 AM

I bought the Apple case with my iPad, but I totally *HATE* those edges. Makes it completely uncomfortable to use the iPad while holding it in your hand. It's application is definitely more suited for propping the iPad up on a desk or to watch a movie on a flight, etc.
I also managed to acquire a WaterField Designs slip case from SFBags (thanks to my uncle!). The quality of the case is top notch and I'd use it more than the Apple case if my needs didn't include having to prop the iPad up for typing and such.

Here's another option that seems pretty cool. iPad Cases by DODOcase (gotta love the name! )

andi*pandi
Sep 21, 2010, 09:50 AM

that is really cool, nice to see bookbinding adapting.

osiris24x
Oct 3, 2010, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by selowitch View Post
Which iPad case are you ordering and why? I was excited about the Cloak, but they aren't going to be available until May 1st at the earliest. So I need other alternatives.
Thanks for the Cloak link! I'm going to order one.
Roger Michaels
Apple Certified Consultant
PDXMacRepair.com

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 3, 2010, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by osiris24x View Post
Thanks for the Cloak link! I'm going to order one.
Functional, but ugly.

-t

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2010, 06:15 AM

Something in the sleeve category which seemed interesting.

Booq Boa Skin iPad Sleeve Review — The Gadgeteer

Kind of a cloth covered rigid thing with a big pocket sewn on. The rigid side protects the glass.

Not too crazy about the styling, but seems to have a high svelte/protection ratio. This is especially compared to most sleeves, which are all floppy like. I like my foofbag a lot, but I always have to take along an 8-1/2 x 11 hardback book as something rigid to put against the glass side.

What's more annoying is that the current book I've been using I have as a PDF on the iPad.
( Last edited by subego; Oct 8, 2010 at 09:18 AM. )

jokell82
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2010, 09:59 AM

Well I've changed my feelings on iPad cases since my last post in this thread. Not too long ago I noticed a crack in my screen. It's a tiny crack, but it's there nonetheless. It's odd because I tend to baby my iPad, but I guess the sleeve I was keeping it in just wasn't enough protection.

So I went overboard and bought the Otterbox Defender case for the iPad. Very nice case, and it is well protected. However it is HEAVY. I knew that going in, but now that I have OS 4.2 installed I'm using the iPad more and more, and the extra weight is starting to get to me.

Just curious what everyone is using now. I *hate* the Apple case, but other than that I'm open to anything. I like the new Moleskine case enough, but I wonder how well it will be able to protect the iPad and it still isn't available yet.

The Booq sleeve looks pretty nice, too.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2010, 10:05 AM

I ended up with a Marware leather case. It looks like a Moleskine, with a black wide rubber band to keep it closed, but it is still in enough, and light enough, for easy lugging around.

I looked at the Moleskine cases, and they are just too big for my personal taste.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 11, 2010, 06:24 PM

As mentioned above, I have a sleeve, so mine is mostly unencumbered.

What's odd is that the back is pristine, even though it makes a sound like it's being scratched if there's any grit on the surface you put it down on.

The glass on the other hand, has a few faint scratches on it. They're not really visible, especially if there's finger grease on the glass (which let's face it, is always) but I'm clueless about where they came from. All I can think of is one of the cats, or a speck of grit on my microfiber cloth.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2010, 07:13 PM

I got my partner the Convertible Book Jacket by Incase. He loves it.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 11, 2010, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
The glass on the other hand, has a few faint scratches on it. They're not really visible, especially if there's finger grease on the glass (which let's face it, is always)
I've put a matte screen protector on mine just to keep the finger grease away.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 11, 2010, 11:38 PM

Are you happy with it? Is it a stiff static-type one, or one of those thinner decal (Invisible Shield) types?

If it's the latter, I've always had a bit of a problem with them conceptually. The idea seems too wreckable, like I'd have gunk flaking off after a few weeks.

How do you clean it? I think that's another think that has me wary. You have to crank down kind of hard with the microfiber cloth to get the last bit of grease off. My mind's eye envisions the stuff shredding.

Andrew88088
Oct 12, 2010, 12:17 AM

I was critical of the Apple case in the beginning, but after having the Incase Convertible Book Jacket, and ultimately returning it (one, because of the thickness, two, because it wouldn't stay propped up in the lowest groove), I gave the Apple case a whirl. I really enjoy how thin it is and still being able to prop it up to type on.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 12, 2010, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Are you happy with it? Is it a stiff static-type one, or one of those thinner decal (Invisible Shield) types?

If it's the latter, I've always had a bit of a problem with them conceptually. The idea seems too wreckable, like I'd have gunk flaking off after a few weeks.

How do you clean it? I think that's another think that has me wary. You have to crank down kind of hard with the microfiber cloth to get the last bit of grease off. My mind's eye envisions the stuff shredding.
It's the stiff static-type. I really like it. The screen isn't quite as sharp with it on, but it's much sharper than looking through finger grease. Also, cleaning it is much simpler than without since it hardly builds up much that needs to be cleaned off. Before getting it, I cleaned my ipad's screen maybe twice a day; now, maybe twice a month. And, cleaning involves swiping a kleenex across it; no cranking or microfiber necessary. Also, my fingers slide across the screen much more smoothly with the anti-glare protector; bare glass is too sticky. As for shredding, I've had the same screen protector on my iPod Touch for 2 years, and it's the same as the day I bought it.
http://www.powersupportusa.com/acces...-film-set.html

On a related note, I can't believe that Apple has the balls to claim that the iPad's screen is fingerprint-resistant.

Forum Links
Forum Rules